What Are You Watching?

Been watchin' Kakegurui on Netflix. It's follows the protag (female) in a special highschool where everyone essentially gambles. It's pretty badass. It's got quite the twist and there's so many hooks at the end of each episode that I just have to keep watching. If anyone's a fan of anime and has a netflix acc, I highly recommend it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakegurui_–_Compulsive_Gambler

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jack0Knife
Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/jackknife
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-kucharzak/
'Folio: https://www.ck-ld.com/

"Art is the process of assigning meaning." - Unknown

• Sethiroth pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That movie did a number on me when I was only 9 or 10 years old.  I was never into horror movies, I'm still not, but the older kids loved it.

I do have a few movies that I like that skirt the horror genre.

Army of Darkness

Aliens

Resident Evil 1

Train to Busan

Predator 1 

IT (2017)

Freddy VS Jason

Cloverfield Paradox

Jurassic Park

A Quiet Place

These are a few of the ones that jump out at me.

On 9/20/2020 at 7:57 AM, Preacher001 said:

That movie did a number on me when I was only 9 or 10 years old.  I was never into horror movies, I'm still not, but the older kids loved it.

I do have a few movies that I like that skirt the horror genre.

Army of Darkness

Aliens

Resident Evil 1

Train to Busan

Predator 1 

IT (2017)

Freddy VS Jason

Cloverfield Paradox

Jurassic Park

A Quiet Place

These are a few of the ones that jump out at me.

Yeah, I watched the first 10 minutes with my dad when I was 7, had to leave the room after the dog scene lol. Gonna watch it again with a friend soon! Army of Darkness is funny af, Aliens is probably one of the first horror films I ever saw, the woman stuck in the wall begging to be killed still gives me chills. X)

I don't think I've watch ressy 1 all the way through, but it has some great tension with the elevator at the start and the laser grid room. Haven't seen train to busan but it's on my list and looks like what WWZ should have been. Pred 1 is a classic but super camp lol. IT I haven't seen but have heard good things about. Not seen any nightmare or 13th films, I can only imagine the crossover is quite goofy. Paradox is such an odd film, dunno why it was part of the trilogy. Jurassic Park is bloody ace! and so is a quite place.

That's a great list, I might sit down and see if I can list a bunch myself at some point, but if I were to recommend you some I'd say Shaun of the dead, Rec and maybe the host. 

6f4827df5628ab932f263f2bc583f58e.gif

@Fatkid Forger There was one that was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't place it.  Ya, Shaun of the Dead is now becoming a classic.  Never heard of Rec but The Host wasn't bad.  It could have done with a little more depth and oomph. 

fwiw, I never really got into the freddy or Jason films but I had seen a couple.  Freddy VS Jason took the fromage route that Nightmare on elm was pushing near the end and mixed it with the stoic dark murder vibe of Jason.   It was a great straight man vs funny man movie set in a horror film.   I mean it could have been better but it's a good ride with you're campy loving friends and a few drinks.

The camp is what i love about Predator and pretty much any of my favorite Arnold or 80's/90's era movies.

Paradox was the movie that kind of tied all that shit together.  After that the other movies end up being more like spinoffs.

• 2 weeks later...

@Preacher001

Rec and Rec 2 are the best and some of the only well done found footage horror films imo. Yeah, the host is very particular when it comes to conveying its intended effect to begin with. To me, its absurd horror but restrains itself to the point where the absurdity is just on the tip, hitting that sweet "uncanny" spot which leaves you kinda stuck in the limbo "I actually don't know what to really think" sense, to put it super primitively. I mean, on top of that it has very divided plot identities between both characters you follow through the film, so there's not necessarily one overall feeling like in a conventional western horror film like Alien or Halloween, you're instead exploring how two individuals perceive and overcome the same threat which I love. Weirdly enough, kinda like texas chainsaw 2 lol. The depth issue, I can understand tbf.

I can see how that would be a fun film, I don't usually enjoy slashers but if it's a bit more complex and absurd, I could get down with that.

For sure, I just wish predators actually took the concept and really focused on the psychological elements rather than being a shameless rip off.

Well I think what fans of the first two figured was going to be the case, was more like a series of individual films all under the same name with no inherent tie in. That was what would allow complete creative integrity. The worst part of the second film is finding out about the alien invasion to me because the whole point of the film is based on the unknown truths and eventual development of Howard. Put that's a very one sided personal opinion I hold about cliffhangers. Theres plenty of resolutions I like, such as the end of the mist in comparison to the original novel. But what makes that reveal valid is how its earned by the characters' personalities' choices and conflict. A better development for 10 Cloverfield would've been to realise theres nothing wrong and Howard is genuinely insane. Paradox' ending felt like a forced tie "ta dah, we're all related lol". I dunno, it's hard to say in truth, but I was deffo disappointed with the ending of both films.

One a more pleasant note, what are some other films you really like that aren't primarily horror?

Edited by Fatkid Forger
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2020 at 8:11 AM, Fatkid Forger said:

Watched Carpenter's The Thing in full for the first time yesterday. Probably one of my fav horror films now 🙂

Super late on this but John Carpenter just has some interesting movies. They are not great like the thing but some cool ideas at a minimum.

With They Live and Prince of Darkness being some meh but interesting movies from a plot perspective.

On 10/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, purely fat said:

Super late on this but John Carpenter just has some interesting movies. They are not great like the thing but some cool ideas at a minimum.

With They Live and Prince of Darkness being some meh but interesting movies from a plot perspective.

Damn straight, yeah the fog, escape from new york and in the mouth of madness are all really compelling regardless of their flaws. Haven't seen those two, would you recommend regardless of the mehness?

@Fatkid Forger  Sorry for my late reply.  I've been desperately hunting for a new place and never got back around to your post.

I prefer most of my stuff to be a little more light hearted and fun.  I don't need a lot of depth, not that I'm against it either.  My genre's of choice are Sci fi, action adventure, comedy/rom com.  I'm a fan of 80/90's fromage.  Not really into horror even though I there's plenty that I enjoy.  I loath most strait up dramas as I just feel no need to intentionally make myself depressed or angry.

So here's a random smattering of titles I've enjoyed.

Big trouble in little China

John Wick

The Fifth Element

Harry Potter

Battle Angel Alita

Lord of the Rings

Hard Core Hennry

Dracula untold

Real Steel

James Bond

Men in Black

Marvel Universe

Hong Kong flicks from actors like Jackie Chan, Jet Lee, Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen, Andy Lau

Volcano High (cheesy old Korean flick done in a Japanese anime style)

Mission impossible

Blade Runner

Dune

Most of Ben Stiller's stuff

Arnold Schwarzenegger pretty much across the board

The Princess Bride

The Three Amigos

When Harry met Sally

Goonies 

Inner Space

Most Dreamworks films

I mean I could just keep going if I'm left without any particular direction.

Currently watching on TV:

Kim's Convenience

Modern Family

Carmen Sandiego

The Alienist

Kipo

The Good Place

The Boys

New Girl

Schitts Creek

Yup I''d never gotten around to a lot of that stuff or I've just gotten board and now I'm continuing again.

1 hour ago, Preacher001 said:

@Fatkid Forger  Sorry for my late reply.  I've been desperately hunting for a new place and never got back around to your post.

I prefer most of my stuff to be a little more light hearted and fun.  I don't need a lot of depth, not that I'm against it either.  My genre's of choice are Sci fi, action adventure, comedy/rom com.  I'm a fan of 80/90's fromage.  Not really into horror even though I there's plenty that I enjoy.  I loath most strait up dramas as I just feel no need to intentionally make myself depressed or angry.

So here's a random smattering of titles I've enjoyed.

Big trouble in little China

John Wick

The Fifth Element

Harry Potter

Battle Angel Alita

Lord of the Rings

Hard Core Hennry

Dracula untold

Real Steel

James Bond

Men in Black

Marvel Universe

Hong Kong flicks from actors like Jackie Chan, Jet Lee, Stephen Chow, Donnie Yen, Andy Lau

Volcano High (cheesy old Korean flick done in a Japanese anime style)

Mission impossible

Blade Runner

Dune

Most of Ben Stiller's stuff

Arnold Schwarzenegger pretty much across the board

The Princess Bride

The Three Amigos

When Harry met Sally

Goonies 

Inner Space

Most Dreamworks films

I mean I could just keep going if I'm left without any particular direction.

Currently watching on TV:

Kim's Convenience

Modern Family

Carmen Sandiego

The Alienist

Kipo

The Good Place

The Boys

New Girl

Schitts Creek

Yup I''d never gotten around to a lot of that stuff or I've just gotten board and now I'm continuing again.

No worries, we all got life stuffs lol.

Yeah, I can't say any of those aren't simply really fun films. I've enjoyed plenty that you've listed. 🙂Is dune worth watching?

I totally forgot about inner space and The Fifth Element, thanks for reminding me of that gem.

I don't think I've ever seen any of those shows except from The Boys (which is one of my faves), but I presume that's cos they're all American.

Ok so Dreamworks has got some bloody brilliant films imo. I really like the first two kung fu panda films so much and Madagascar 3 is mental, I love it. 😁 Antz is way better than bugs life too. I also enjoyed a lot of their earlier 2D films like the prince of egypt and el dorado. Chicken run is a UK classic lol.

Edited by Fatkid Forger
On 10/18/2020 at 4:04 AM, Fatkid Forger said:

Is dune worth watching?

That's tough to answer.  You're at least 25 Years late on watching that one.  The movie was both ahead and behind its time when it was released.  I still enjoy it and its slow pace and quirky weirdness but now over 3 and a half decades later it's hard to offer up as a good movie.  From what I've heard it's apparently not all that authentic to the books.   Still, as a movie on its own it offers a unique charm. 

How about this, if you can handle watching something like the original Blade Runner and can appreciate it then I would watch Dune.  If not, don't bother.

I totally forgot about inner space and The Fifth Element, thanks for reminding me of that gem.

Never forget about Inner Space or the Fifth Element.  This is wrong.  If you're planning on a 80's Sci Fi fromage day with friends might I recommend you soft start with Enemy Mine, then lean into the insanity with The Ice Pirates before you swivel back around to the Fifth Element and finish with Inner Space.

I don't think I've ever seen any of those shows except from The Boys (which is one of my faves), but I presume that's cos they're all American.

Hey don't put my babies in a corner.  Kim's Convenience and Schitt's Creek are both Canadian sitcoms.  Kim's Convenience is awesome from the get go and Schitt's was a slower burn for me that kept building strait to the end.  It's actually pretty crazy how big of an effect it had on a lot of people and it won a bunch of awards.

The Alienist is kinda slow and fucked up but interesting and I'm mostly watching it because I was wondering what Luke Evans had been up to.  I've really wanted his career to take off because I feel he's got a lot of star power.  The opening quote is "In the 19th century, persons suffering from mental illness were thought to be alienated from their own true natures. Experts who studied them were therefore known as Alienists."

Carmen Sandiego and Kipo are a couple of well done cartoons, Kipo being a Dreamworks series.

If you've never seen Modern Family it's 11 years of some light hearted silly good fun that gets even better as the kids get older.

The Good Place is a sitcom about a bunch a flawed people dying and then going to "The Good Place"  A couple big names are Ted Danson and Kristen Bell.

New Girl is a whole sitcom focussing around Zooey Deschanel as a quirky girl looking for roommates in New York and then she finds some and crazy antics

ensue.  I've gone back and forth on this show.  It's kinda meh, but with some pretty good laughs and a fun cast.

Suddenly I'm wondering when my next season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is coming out.

Ok so Dreamworks has got some bloody brilliant films imo.

That's an understatement Dreamworks is legend.  They found the magic that Disney had lost and ran with it.  Megamind, How to Train your Dragon, Bee Movie, and of Course Shrek.

I also should mention Pixar studios.  It's all gold over there as well.

Aaaaaanyway.  Off I go.

Edited by Preacher001
On 10/21/2020 at 9:06 AM, Preacher001 said:

That's tough to answer.  You're at least 25 Years late on watching that one.  The movie was both ahead and behind its time when it was released.  I still enjoy it and its slow pace and quirky weirdness but now over 3 and a half decades later it's hard to offer up as a good movie.  From what I've heard it's apparently not all that authentic to the books.   Still, as a movie on its own it offers a unique charm. 

How about this, if you can handle watching something like the original Blade Runner and can appreciate it then I would watch Dune.  If not, don't bother.

Never forget about Inner Space or the Fifth Element.  This is wrong.  If you're planning on a 80's Sci Fi fromage day with friends might I recommend you soft start with Enemy Mine, then lean into the insanity with The Ice Pirates before you swivel back around to the Fifth Element and finish with Inner Space.

Hey don't put my babies in a corner.  Kim's Convenience and Schitt's Creek are both Canadian sitcoms.  Kim's Convenience is awesome from the get go and Schitt's was a slower burn for me that kept building strait to the end.  It's actually pretty crazy how big of an effect it had on a lot of people and it won a bunch of awards.

The Alienist is kinda slow and fucked up but interesting and I'm mostly watching it because I was wondering what Luke Evans had been up to.  I've really wanted his career to take off because I feel he's got a lot of star power.  The opening quote is "In the 19th century, persons suffering from mental illness were thought to be alienated from their own true natures. Experts who studied them were therefore known as Alienists."

Carmen Sandiego and Kipo are a couple of well done cartoons, Kipo being a Dreamworks series.

If you've never seen Modern Family it's 11 years of some light hearted silly good fun that gets even better as the kids get older.

The Good Place is a sitcom about a bunch a flawed people dying and then going to "The Good Place"  A couple big names are Ted Danson and Kristen Bell.

New Girl is a whole sitcom focussing around Zooey Deschanel as a quirky girl looking for roommates in New York and then she finds some and crazy antics

ensue.  I've gone back and forth on this show.  It's kinda meh, but with some pretty good laughs and a fun cast.

Suddenly I'm wondering when my next season of Brooklyn Nine-Nine is coming out.

That's an understatement Dreamworks is legend.  They found the magic that Disney had lost and ran with it.  Megamind, How to Train your Dragon, Bee Movie, and of Course Shrek.

I also should mention Pixar studios.  It's all gold over there as well.

Aaaaaanyway.  Off I go.

Ok, yeah I think it'll be worth my time. I appreciate films that possess creativity and uniqueness, no matter how "bad" they are. Same with my opinions on most things tbh, especially forge maps.

Lol, I feel like I've committed a cardinal sin here. Totally agree. There's some weird, beautiful magic about the sci-fi genre in film making from the mid to late 1900's.

Haha, I'm just saying yank shows aren't all that available over here unless they happen to be on netflix. If I can find them, I'll watch 'em. I feel like I've heard of The Alienist, sounds like its right up my ally if its all about psychological trauma/afflictions with horror elements. Tell a lie, I think I've watched one episode of Modern Family when I was 13 or somet, didn't know what to make of it back then, I'll share what I end up making of it when I get round to seeing it. Doubt New Girl is for me but I can always give it a go. I high anticipate it not connecting with our cultural standards over here, a lot of yank show come across as very head strong and... Imma say it...

Spoiler

cringe

Yeah, I mean yeah, they're all entertaining that's for sure. Pixar's really fallen off imo.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> On a side not:

When I visit my grandparents on fridays, I go up to the local charity shop (are those the same things as thrift stores over there?) and they have amazing films sometimes, I usually pick up a few every week. Last week I got Hot Fuzz, The VVitch, The Dark Knight and 28 Days Later all for 50p (0.65 dollars).

This week I picked this lot up for 50p each as well (Shawshank was £3, $3.92)

IMG_1441.thumb.jpg.9d36956cc587eb53af58a08b020adb4d.jpg

Edited by Fatkid Forger