• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In the Zone: enjoyment, creativity, and the nine elements of “flow”

"Skill. Finesse. Efficiency of movement. There is speed and power. All of his resources are brought to bear in this challenge; he is focused. But he is relaxed, and there is a seeming effortlessness in execution. He is “in the zone.” He gives no thought to his many years of preparation that led to this moment of excellence. He’s not self-consciously examining his actions. His awareness is devoted to the game. He is not distracted by extraneous thoughts. He is absorbed in the here and now. Mind and body are in harmony. Thought and action are one. Creativity, ingenuity, mastery, and strength naturally emerge. He moves with grace; time seems to slow and now we zoom in on his hand moving swiftly through the air with guileless confidence – and then the sound of impact!

Who knew chess could be this exciting!!"

Link to full article: http://www.meaningandhappiness.com/zone-enjoyment-creativity-elements-flow/26/

Sport Imagery: Athletes' Most Powerful Mental Tool

"If you do anything to work on the mental side of your sport, it better be mental imagery. Why, you ask? Because there is no more powerful mental tool than mental imagery and it can have a huge impact on your sports performance.

I say this with such conviction because it had that effect on me when I was a young athlete at Burke Mtn. Academy, a private boarding school in Vermont devoted to developing world-class ski racers (it was also the first full-time sports academy in the U.S.) One summer I took a course at a local college that introduced me to the power of mental imagery. I applied it to my sport as part of my final project for the class and then continued to use it throughout the following fall and into the competitive race season. The results were nothing less than spectacular. From doubt came confidence. From distraction came focus. From anxiety came intensity. From timidness came aggressiveness. From inconsistency came consistency. And, most importantly, from decent results came outstanding results."

The article introduces "four factors that impact the quality of mental imagery":

- Imagery perspective

- Control

- Multiple senses

- Speed

Read the full article for an explanation of these, plus tips on how to develop/improve your mental imagery abilities: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-power-prime/201211/sport-imagery-athletes-most-powerful-mental-tool

• 3 weeks later...

"When 50,000 of Mark Rober's 3 million YouTube subscribers participated in a basic coding challenge, the data all pointed to what Rober has dubbed the Super Mario Effect. The YouTube star and former NASA engineer describes how this data-backed mindset for life gamification has stuck with him along his journey, and how it impacts the ways he helps (or tricks) his viewers into learning science, engineering, and design."

"Dr. John Kitchin quit a medical career to pursue his passion: skating along the boardwalk of San Diego's Pacific Beach. He calls himself "Slomo."