Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Did you fall for the elevator trap? 

 

Yes.  Got my head shoved up in the spikes.  I was surprised it wasn't an insta-kill, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

How is Anor Londo?

 

Visually, it's awesome!  Great views of the world.  Great architecture.

As far as gameplay, I don't think I've made it very far.  I made it to the place where the 2 archers fire at you with those badass arrows twice.  The knockback pushed me off the edge as I was trying to attack them both times.  After that I did some exploring in other directions, and ended up in The Painted World of Ariandel.  I didn't save at the Bonfire there, hoping it would send me back to Anor Londo when I died, but no such luck.  :classic_angry:

 

Worked my way through the area a little bit.  This is a pretty neat area, but those toxic dudes that explode when you kill them are a freaking pain.  After about 2 runs through the area, I just started running past them instead of killing them.  I beat the dragon that spits some kind of toxic slime at you.  Right now, I got to an area where all these deformed dudes that like slide around on their side are huddled up.  I'm just planning to grind them for a bit to level myself up.  They're right by a bonfire, and killing them all gets me around 7000 souls, so I can level up a few levels pretty quickly.  After that, I still have a few areas of the level I've not explored yet.  I'm assuming that dragon was not the boss of the area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a Chunk said:

 

Visually, it's awesome!  Great views of the world.  Great architecture.

As far as gameplay, I don't think I've made it very far.  I made it to the place where the 2 archers fire at you with those badass arrows twice.  The knockback pushed me off the edge as I was trying to attack them both times.  After that I did some exploring in other directions, and ended up in The Painted World of Ariandel.  I didn't save at the Bonfire there, hoping it would send me back to Anor Londo when I died, but no such luck.  :classic_angry:

 

Worked my way through the area a little bit.  This is a pretty neat area, but those toxic dudes that explode when you kill them are a freaking pain.  After about 2 runs through the area, I just started running past them instead of killing them.  I beat the dragon that spits some kind of toxic slime at you.  Right now, I got to an area where all these deformed dudes that like slide around on their side are huddled up.  I'm just planning to grind them for a bit to level myself up.  They're right by a bonfire, and killing them all gets me around 7000 souls, so I can level up a few levels pretty quickly.  After that, I still have a few areas of the level I've not explored yet.  I'm assuming that dragon was not the boss of the area?

No there's an actual boss, and then you'll be back at anor londo. The double archers on the buttress is probably one of the most infamous encounters in modern gaming I would say lol glad to see you experience it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, a Chunk said:

 

Visually, it's awesome!  Great views of the world.  Great architecture.

As far as gameplay, I don't think I've made it very far.  I made it to the place where the 2 archers fire at you with those badass arrows twice.  The knockback pushed me off the edge as I was trying to attack them both times.  After that I did some exploring in other directions, and ended up in The Painted World of Ariandel.  I didn't save at the Bonfire there, hoping it would send me back to Anor Londo when I died, but no such luck.  :classic_angry:

 

Worked my way through the area a little bit.  This is a pretty neat area, but those toxic dudes that explode when you kill them are a freaking pain.  After about 2 runs through the area, I just started running past them instead of killing them.  I beat the dragon that spits some kind of toxic slime at you.  Right now, I got to an area where all these deformed dudes that like slide around on their side are huddled up.  I'm just planning to grind them for a bit to level myself up.  They're right by a bonfire, and killing them all gets me around 7000 souls, so I can level up a few levels pretty quickly.  After that, I still have a few areas of the level I've not explored yet.  I'm assuming that dragon was not the boss of the area?

Now imagine an invader with those arrows in sen's funhouse.

You don't actually have to fight the boss.

Edited by purely fat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Painted World turned out to be pretty simple and straight forward after the initial onslaught of those exploding toxic dudes.

After unlocking the large door, there's a run that takes you from the Bonfire to the boss that yields like 10-11,000 souls and a Large Titanite each time by defeating about a dozen hollows, a Black Knight (which drops the Titanite), and the Phalanx (the creepy dudes shown below).

phalanx_dsr_header_full.jpg?v=1527628058

 

It takes probably less than 5 minutes to go through this section (maybe only 2 minutes to kill the Phalanx if you want to increase your souls quickly and don't care about the Titanite).  I must have done this run about 30 times.  It was a great opportunity for me to make up for some initial nooby leveling mistakes.  I got Vitallity, Endurance, Strength, and Dexterity all into the low 30's.  At this point, I don't foresee a need to increase Strength or Dexterity to be able to effectively use my weapons, so I'm planning to focus on Getting my Vitality and Endurance until they're up to at least 40.  I need nearly 50,000 souls to level up right now, so it's going a bit slower, but I at least don't need to worry about being behind the curve in any of the important stats.  I'd imagine that in subsequent playthroughs I won't need to be as concerned about this because I'll be familiar with the levels and enemies, but in this first playthrough I really want to be 'over-leveled' if possible.  Mission accomplished there!

 

I went on to face the boss (Crossbreed Priscilla).  She was relatively easy once I figured out her deal (she's invisible, but leaves footprints in the snow as she moves).  I stayed more towards the outer ring until I located her footsteps, and then either kept my shield up until she attacked (and then counter attacked), or just did a running attack.  There's really not much more to it than that. I beat her easily on the first attempt

032B98BE5F0FC2973A84C4BBB5DAA8C3A286E89A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to Anor Londo.  Those archers SUCK.  Thank goodness you only need to get past them once, lol.  After that are a bunch of Silver Knights, another Titanite Demon (which is a pain the ass in tight quarters), and a couple of Giants before getting to the boss battle.  The Titanite Demon gave me some issues.  I died to it about 4 or 5 times I think.  The biggest pain for me was the Giants.  While I think I only actually died to them 2 times, they beat the heck out of me, and required me to use a lot of Estus.  I kept getting to them easily, beating them with 3-4 Estus Flasks remaining, and then going back to the bonfire because I didn't want to face the boss with that little Estus.  I think I literally repeated this for about an hour straight.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

The Boss Battle (Ornstein and Smough) I found not TOO difficult.  I nearly beat them on my first attempt, and probably would have if I had equipped Humanity as one of my items.  I took out Smough first, and then ran out of Estus with only a few hits remaining on Ornstein.  One Humanity would have given me enough to finish the battle.  Unfortunately, I got hit once while trying to equip some, and didn't actually get it equipped.  Then I panicked a bit, slashing too many times, and got hit by his lightning attack where he jumps up and smashes down.

 

After that first attempt, I decided I wanted to Summon someone for help, just to reduce the chances of being double teamed at the beginning.  That's where my ordeal with the Giants began, lol.  I eventually figured out a good approach for them, and was able to make it to the boss battle with plenty of Estus in hand.  Solaire died relatively quickly in my first attempt with him.  I got over aggressive and kept slashing too many time instead of being patient, and I died when Smough still had about 80% of his HP remaining (could have definitely beaten him, but I failed to find a window to use Estus (just got distracted and didn't realize my HP was so low).  On the third attempt (second with Solaire) we beat them quickly and easily (I think I only used Estus once or twice, and was never in any real danger).

maxresdefault.jpg

 

This was where I ended.  Not really sure where I'll be headed next at this point.  Probably going to work on upgrading my Claymore to +15 and getting a stronger shield, since I can now warp between bonfires.  I think I have everything I need to be able to do that, so I just need to visit the appropriate Blacksmiths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Back to Anor Londo.  Those archers SUCK.  Thank goodness you only need to get past them once, lol.  After that are a bunch of Silver Knights, another Titanite Demon (which is a pain the ass in tight quarters), and a couple of Giants before getting to the boss battle.  The Titanite Demon gave me some issues.  I died to it about 4 or 5 times I think.  The biggest pain for me was the Giants.  While I think I only actually died to them 2 times, they beat the heck out of me, and required me to use a lot of Estus.  I kept getting to them easily, beating them with 3-4 Estus Flasks remaining, and then going back to the bonfire because I didn't want to face the boss with that little Estus.  I think I literally repeated this for about an hour straight.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

The Boss Battle (Ornstein and Smough) I found not TOO difficult.  I nearly beat them on my first attempt, and probably would have if I had equipped Humanity as one of my items.  I took out Smough first, and then ran out of Estus with only a few hits remaining on Ornstein.  One Humanity would have given me enough to finish the battle.  Unfortunately, I got hit once while trying to equip some, and didn't actually get it equipped.  Then I panicked a bit, slashing too many times, and got hit by his lightning attack where he jumps up and smashes down.

 

After that first attempt, I decided I wanted to Summon someone for help, just to reduce the chances of being double teamed at the beginning.  That's where my ordeal with the Giants began, lol.  I eventually figured out a good approach for them, and was able to make it to the boss battle with plenty of Estus in hand.  Solaire died relatively quickly in my first attempt with him.  I got over aggressive and kept slashing too many time instead of being patient, and I died when Smough still had about 80% of his HP remaining (could have definitely beaten him, but I failed to find a window to use Estus (just got distracted and didn't realize my HP was so low).  On the third attempt (second with Solaire) we beat them quickly and easily (I think I only used Estus once or twice, and was never in any real danger).

maxresdefault.jpg

 

This was where I ended.  Not really sure where I'll be headed next at this point.  Probably going to work on upgrading my Claymore to +15 and getting a stronger shield, since I can now warp between bonfires.  I think I have everything I need to be able to do that, so I just need to visit the appropriate Blacksmiths.

Congrats on beating Anor Londo. I think it's one of the coolest areas I've ever been in in a game, some of the level design there is just so solid. Next play through you gotta beat o&s without summoning though 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Congrats on beating Anor Londo. I think it's one of the coolest areas I've ever been in in a game, some of the level design there is just so solid. Next play through you gotta beat o&s without summoning though 🙂

 

Yeah, for sure.  In retrospect, it probably would've been faster to just go at them alone.  I could've just skipped the giants and gone right to them with 10 Estus flasks.  Pretty sure I could beat them within the first few attempts.

 

Anor Londo is pretty cool from a design perspective.  The level design, like that of the entire game, is great on a macro level.  The inter-connectivity is really well done.  Traversing ledges, rafters, and buttresses is very cool.  From a thematic/story perspective, there are things that feel odd here and there.  The obvious one that comes to mind is that there's a Titanite Demon in a small room that makes no sense.  There's literally not even a way for it to get into that room, unless we're supposed to believe that it got through the small door when it was a baby demon, and somehow managed to find the sustenance to continue growing.  This felt like a situation where they just dropped an already existing enemy into an area for no good reason.  Aside from that, I really like the feeling created by the scale of the place.  I felt like an ant of a man, making my way through a world meant for giants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing instead of posting, lol.  I made my way through a few more areas.

 

I went through the Catacombs.  It was not one of my favorite areas, but I can't really put my finger on why.  The level design is once again very cool.  I guess part of what bugged my is that there are maybe too many routes that are not obvious.  I like secret walls and drop downs, but I didn't care for how many there were. How am I supposed to trust that I can drop down to a ledge below with a shiny item when I can't see the ledge, and have repeatedly died from falling off ledges previously...  I'm being a little nitpicky though.  The area was fine, just nothing special to me.  Pinwheel is a freaking joke! 

latest?cb=20160614065326

 

Seriously, what's the point of even having a boss that essentially does nothing?  And then he gives you the Rite of Kindling, which is a huge advantage.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

 

 

Next I went through New Londo Ruins.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The new enemies are all pretty interesting.  I get REALLY irritated in games where visibility (lack thereof) ends up punishing you.  I guess I'm okay with the limited visibility to a certain extent because it adds to the feel of the place, and fits with the emotion.  I nearly walked off of ledges because I couldn't see 2 steps in front of me though.  Didn't care for that at all.  But like I said earlier, I'm nitpicking.  Still enjoying the game a LOT.  The boss battle was a pain in the ass, and only partially because of the boss.  Though in retrospect I can see how there was enough info to know if I had paid close attention to the ring descriptions, I had no way of knowing going into it that I would need to wear a specific ring even to get to the boss.  The boss fight was overwhelming, and really creates a sense of urgency once you realize that more Kings keep coming the longer the fight drags on.  

maxresdefault.jpg

 

It was disorienting with nothing in the background, but not unreasonably so.  It was a challenging but very fair battle.  I came out victorious on my 2nd or 3rd attempt (can't recall).

 

 

So yeah, still plugging away.  Haven't decided where I'm going next.  I need to go back to the Great Hollow at some point.  I also still have the Demon Ruins I haven't explored, and then the gates/doors that opened up after talking to the serpent dude when I beat the Four Kings.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Been playing instead of posting, lol.  I made my way through a few more areas.

 

I went through the Catacombs.  It was not one of my favorite areas, but I can't really put my finger on why.  The level design is once again very cool.  I guess part of what bugged my is that there are maybe too many routes that are not obvious.  I like secret walls and drop downs, but I didn't care for how many there were. How am I supposed to trust that I can drop down to a ledge below with a shiny item when I can't see the ledge, and have repeatedly died from falling off ledges previously...  I'm being a little nitpicky though.  The area was fine, just nothing special to me.  Pinwheel is a freaking joke! 

latest?cb=20160614065326

 

Seriously, what's the point of even having a boss that essentially does nothing?  And then he gives you the Rite of Kindling, which is a huge advantage.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

 

 

Next I went through New Londo Ruins.  I enjoyed it quite a bit.  The new enemies are all pretty interesting.  I get REALLY irritated in games where visibility (lack thereof) ends up punishing you.  I guess I'm okay with the limited visibility to a certain extent because it adds to the feel of the place, and fits with the emotion.  I nearly walked off of ledges because I couldn't see 2 steps in front of me though.  Didn't care for that at all.  But like I said earlier, I'm nitpicking.  Still enjoying the game a LOT.  The boss battle was a pain in the ass, and only partially because of the boss.  Though in retrospect I can see how there was enough info to know if I had paid close attention to the ring descriptions, I had no way of knowing going into it that I would need to wear a specific ring even to get to the boss.  The boss fight was overwhelming, and really creates a sense of urgency once you realize that more Kings keep coming the longer the fight drags on.  

maxresdefault.jpg

 

It was disorienting with nothing in the background, but not unreasonably so.  It was a challenging but very fair battle.  I came out victorious on my 2nd or 3rd attempt (can't recall).

 

 

So yeah, still plugging away.  Haven't decided where I'm going next.  I need to go back to the Great Hollow at some point.  I also still have the Demon Ruins I haven't explored, and then the gates/doors that opened up after talking to the serpent dude when I beat the Four Kings.

 

Pinwheel being really weak means players can rush straight to him off new characters at low level and unlock the right of kindling very early in the game if they're struggling somewhere else 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided (completely randomly) to head through the door that opened up in Anor Londo after defeating the Four Kings.  Made my way through the Duke's Archives and the Crystal Cave.  The Archives were really difficult.  The difficulty came mostly from not knowing where the enemies were.  It's also disorienting because the two halves of it look very similar.  I died a lot, but eventually learned my way around, and understood where the enemies were located.  None of the enemies themselves are too hard to get by.  I do have to say that it's major BS that facing Seath the Scaleless the first time is a guaranteed death.  I initially thought I must be missing something, but then after beating him later on, I realized that I was intended to fail the first encounter.  Went online to check about it, and confirmed that it's impossible to beat him the first time.  I lost a crapload of souls (I think almost 40k), with no way of knowing what was coming.  That one made me pretty salty.  Aside from that, I enjoyed the Archives quite a lot.  I enjoy this kind of difficulty (needing to learn through experience where to go and where the enemies are, and then developing a strategy to take them out).

tumblr_nixklwW2x21tcxmn3o2_r1_1280.jpg

 

Next I was on to the Crystal Caves, obviously.  Talk about irritating.  They do a fair job of teaching you early on that the snow drops, or whatever they're supposed to be, indicate invisible pathways.  I figured that out pretty quickly.  They really don't do a good enough job of showing exactly where you can/should walk all the time though.  There was one shiny item I was unable to get to because of this.  I swear that freaking pathway must zigzag like crazy.  I used up all of my Prism Stones (around 20 I think), and still didn't have enough get me all the way.  I gave up on it after dying about 6 times on this section.  I have no idea why there are invisible pathways to begin with.  It feels like another case of cheap difficulty.  I don't like it at all.  The other thing that bothered me a little bit was the Gold Golem.  I dropped down, got hit be him before even getting an opportunity to move, and he knocked me off the ledge to my death.  I had some consolation in the fact that he also fell off.  But it's honest not that bad.  You at least can see and anticipate what you're getting into, and it's only for this one battle.  It's possible that he was just more aggressive than normal, and that typically you would have time to move before getting walloped...

PWKFW0T.jpg

 

Once getting past the invisible walkways, it's easy going.  Seath the Scaleless was a breeze the second time around.  I don't even think I needed to use Estus.  Just circled around him and beat his backside.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

So yeah, aside from the first battle with the boss and the invisible walkways, I enjoyed this area quite a lot.  I probably died like 20 times, but on most of those deaths I learned something that helped me get further on my next life.

 

Thinking I may go to the Demon Ruins next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Decided (completely randomly) to head through the door that opened up in Anor Londo after defeating the Four Kings.  Made my way through the Duke's Archives and the Crystal Cave.  The Archives were really difficult.  The difficulty came mostly from not knowing where the enemies were.  It's also disorienting because the two halves of it look very similar.  I died a lot, but eventually learned my way around, and understood where the enemies were located.  None of the enemies themselves are too hard to get by.  I do have to say that it's major BS that facing Seath the Scaleless the first time is a guaranteed death.  I initially thought I must be missing something, but then after beating him later on, I realized that I was intended to fail the first encounter.  Went online to check about it, and confirmed that it's impossible to beat him the first time.  I lost a crapload of souls (I think almost 40k), with no way of knowing what was coming.  That one made me pretty salty.  Aside from that, I enjoyed the Archives quite a lot.  I enjoy this kind of difficulty (needing to learn through experience where to go and where the enemies are, and then developing a strategy to take them out).

tumblr_nixklwW2x21tcxmn3o2_r1_1280.jpg

 

Next I was on to the Crystal Caves, obviously.  Talk about irritating.  They do a fair job of teaching you early on that the snow drops, or whatever they're supposed to be, indicate invisible pathways.  I figured that out pretty quickly.  They really don't do a good enough job of showing exactly where you can/should walk all the time though.  There was one shiny item I was unable to get to because of this.  I swear that freaking pathway must zigzag like crazy.  I used up all of my Prism Stones (around 20 I think), and still didn't have enough get me all the way.  I gave up on it after dying about 6 times on this section.  I have no idea why there are invisible pathways to begin with.  It feels like another case of cheap difficulty.  I don't like it at all.  The other thing that bothered me a little bit was the Gold Golem.  I dropped down, got hit be him before even getting an opportunity to move, and he knocked me off the ledge to my death.  I had some consolation in the fact that he also fell off.  But it's honest not that bad.  You at least can see and anticipate what you're getting into, and it's only for this one battle.  It's possible that he was just more aggressive than normal, and that typically you would have time to move before getting walloped...

PWKFW0T.jpg

 

Once getting past the invisible walkways, it's easy going.  Seath the Scaleless was a breeze the second time around.  I don't even think I needed to use Estus.  Just circled around him and beat his backside.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

So yeah, aside from the first battle with the boss and the invisible walkways, I enjoyed this area quite a lot.  I probably died like 20 times, but on most of those deaths I learned something that helped me get further on my next life.

 

Thinking I may go to the Demon Ruins next.

Yeah the mandatory death is probably the biggest gripe I have with the whole game to be fair. It's not great, nor is it communicated. Bloodborne does something like that as well but, in a way cooler way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To give an update on my overall build and approach right now...

 

I've created a strange combination of being quick on my feet, with a strong weapon attack.  I've built up my Endurance to 40 (which allows me to equip some pretty heavy stuff and still be mobile). But for a while now I've been running with the Crimson Set.  It's obviously not the most protective armor in the game, but it's light (allowing me to move quickly), and it looks badass.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

For weapons, I'm focusing on a combination of power and reach.  The three I've been using most are the Claymore, the Halberd, and the Great Scythe.

 

The Claymore has been my primary weapon.  It's leveled to +15, and is quite strong right now.

claymore.png     

 

I used the Halberd a fair amount earlier on in the game.  It's great for attacking from distance, and taking out groups of enemies. It's leveled to +10.

222-2-1353680776.jpg     

 

The Great Scythe is one that I've been mixing in more recently. It has kind of a similar move set to the Claymore, with a longer reach. It's leveled to about +8 I think.

404-1-1369058636.png

 

The Great Scythe would probably be really good if I had focused more on increasing Dexterity.  On my first playthrough I've kept everything pretty balanced though. Even as is, it's pretty damn strong, but still a half notch below the Claymore.

 

 

My Vitality, Strength, and Dexterity are all in the mid 30's.  I'm kind of focusing on increasing Vitality right now, because more Strength and Dexterity are not really necessary with the Claymore as my main weapon.  I've not done much of anything on the magic/sorcery side.  My flame is built up to only +3, and I've used is pretty sparingly.  It's really not possible to make everything strong, and this attribute has been a really low priority on this initial playthrough.

 

 

For the rings, I've obviously had the Ring of Favor and Protection equipped since I initially got it.

ring_of_favor-icon.png

 

In my other slot, I used the Ring of the Evil Eye quite a lot early on in the game, when my Estus was only at 5.

ring_of_the_evil_eye-icon.png

 

Once I got Havel's Ring, I used that for a long time, putting on much heavier armor and shield.

havels_ring-icon.png

 

Of late, as mentioned earlier, I've really been focused on being as quick as possible, and relying somewhat less on the shield and armor defense.  I've been utilizing the Wood Grain Ring frequently.

dark-wood-grain-ring.png

 

My main shield of choice has been the Grass Crest Shield.  It has fair defensive abilities, and helps boost Stamina, which is super valuable.

grass_crest_shield.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer the zweihander to the claymore. I don't think it's better but it is really easy to get right away. So when you go to replay there is a pretty hilarious way to get level 20+ quickly. So you choose the master key ofc but after you get to firelink you go straight to blightown and collect all the item souls there. Do this for a couple of other places right off of firelink and grab the zweihander while you are at it. Once you do this shit you can coast through most of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, a Chunk said:

To give an update on my overall build and approach right now...

 

I've created a strange combination of being quick on my feet, with a strong weapon attack.  I've built up my Endurance to 40 (which allows me to equip some pretty heavy stuff and still be mobile). But for a while now I've been running with the Crimson Set.  It's obviously not the most protective armor in the game, but it's light (allowing me to move quickly), and it looks badass.

maxresdefault.jpg

 

For weapons, I'm focusing on a combination of power and reach.  The three I've been using most are the Claymore, the Halberd, and the Great Scythe.

 

The Claymore has been my primary weapon.  It's leveled to +15, and is quite strong right now.

claymore.png     

 

I used the Halberd a fair amount earlier on in the game.  It's great for attacking from distance, and taking out groups of enemies. It's leveled to +10.

222-2-1353680776.jpg     

 

The Great Scythe is one that I've been mixing in more recently. It has kind of a similar move set to the Claymore, with a longer reach. It's leveled to about +8 I think.

404-1-1369058636.png

 

The Great Scythe would probably be really good if I had focused more on increasing Dexterity.  On my first playthrough I've kept everything pretty balanced though. Even as is, it's pretty damn strong, but still a half notch below the Claymore.

 

 

My Vitality, Strength, and Dexterity are all in the mid 30's.  I'm kind of focusing on increasing Vitality right now, because more Strength and Dexterity are not really necessary with the Claymore as my main weapon.  I've not done much of anything on the magic/sorcery side.  My flame is built up to only +3, and I've used is pretty sparingly.  It's really not possible to make everything strong, and this attribute has been a really low priority on this initial playthrough.

 

 

For the rings, I've obviously had the Ring of Favor and Protection equipped since I initially got it.

ring_of_favor-icon.png

 

In my other slot, I used the Ring of the Evil Eye quite a lot early on in the game, when my Estus was only at 5.

ring_of_the_evil_eye-icon.png

 

Once I got Havel's Ring, I used that for a long time, putting on much heavier armor and shield.

havels_ring-icon.png

 

Of late, as mentioned earlier, I've really been focused on being as quick as possible, and relying somewhat less on the shield and armor defense.  I've been utilizing the Wood Grain Ring frequently.

dark-wood-grain-ring.png

 

My main shield of choice has been the Grass Crest Shield.  It has fair defensive abilities, and helps boost Stamina, which is super valuable.

grass_crest_shield.png

I really want to use the great scythe on this current playthrough I'm on. It looks fun and I've never used it. Im using the Gravelords Greatsword and Uchigatana rn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, purely fat said:

I prefer the zweihander to the claymore. I don't think it's better but it is really easy to get right away. So when you go to replay there is a pretty hilarious way to get level 20+ quickly. So you choose the master key ofc but after you get to firelink you go straight to blightown and collect all the item souls there. Do this for a couple of other places right off of firelink and grab the zweihander while you are at it. Once you do this shit you can coast through most of the game.

 

Yeah, I can see that for sure. Being my first playthrough, I didn't even get the Zweihander until I went into the Catacombs a few days ago, lol.  I had tried heading into the graveyard area really early on, got my ass handed to me by the Skeletons, and stayed away for a very long time after that.

 

On 5/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, MultiLockOn said:

I really want to use the great scythe on this current playthrough I'm on. It looks fun and I've never used it. Im using the Gravelords Greatsword and Uchigatana rn.

 

This is the problem with this damn game... There are about 20 different weapons I'd like to use, but can only realistically use 1, maybe 2, per playthrough.  I got the Great Scythe up to like +12 now.  It's really good.  I'm still using the Claymore primarily though, just because I'm really comfortable with it right now.

 

 

I started into the Demon Ruins.  It's a good thing I didn't try to tackle it right after Blighttown, because I would've gotten obliterated.  It's pretty easy at this point.  I beat Ceaseless Discharge really easily.  WTF kind of name is that, by the way...  It's kind of disturbing, lmao.

Ceaseless_Discharge_Extra.jpg

 

From there, I beat a bunch of Taurus Demons, got to the next Bonfire, and called it quits.  i may work on it some more later this evening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would just suicide run the catacombs first thing most of the time. Boss is pretty easy just avoid getting one shot by shit on your way down and your good. But I would typically grab the zwei and what ever the other items that are there and proceed to die in the poison at blight town over and over again until I collect the item souls. Sometimes if I was feeling really frisky I would take a crack at the hollow because I enjoy looking at ash lake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been working on stuff around the house, and then continuing my playthrough when I have time.  I've proceeded through several more areas, and expect to be through the entirety of the game by the end of the day today.  I'll work on sharing my thoughts on each area as time allows...

 

Continuing on in the Demon Ruins, the main enemies were Capra Demons, Taurus Demons, and Stone Demons, all of which are easily disposed of at this point in the game so long as I wasn't facing a bunch at one time.  Had some trouble with the huge grub-like worms, and eventually resorted to shooting some of them with Poison Arrows.  I'm still not sure how else they can be defeated safely.  

latest?cb=20130202031135

 

Next up was the Firesage Demon.  The move-set here is basically the same as the Stray Demon, and given my increased lethality, I bested it much more easily than I had the Stray Demon.  I think I took damage only once.

latest?cb=20160608105549

 

Next up, after traversing some twists and turns with more Stone Demons, was the final boss of the area - The Centipede Demon.  This one, again, is basically a repeat enemy, mimicking the Gaping Dragon that I fought in The Depths.  

centipede_demon_roar.jpg?v=1529507308113

 

Again, the move-set is very similar to its predecessor.  The challenge here lies in the fact that the traversable space is very limited.  I ended up retreating to the far corner that had the shiny pickup.  In retrospect, I think this was a mistake because it left me cornered with no good way of getting to the side or back of the boss.  I barely survived the encounter, burning through a lot of Estus (especially early on in the battle), but did manage to come out victorious on my first attempt.

 

Overall I was somewhat disappointed at the number of repeat enemies.  I would have preferred at least buffed/evolved version of the Capra & Taurus Demons, rather than just having multiples of them stacked together.  They didn't require me to learn anything new at all.  The Stone Demons are at least something new, though essentially harmless due to their slow movement.  I did enjoy the setting, which is very distinct from other areas of the world.  The lava, though easily neutralized once you've obtained the available garb and ring, presented a new obstacle and environmental hazard to account for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Though I'm jumping past several areas I've not chronicled yet, I have to say that I ended my playthrough yesterday by defeating Knight Artorias. 

 

THAT is a badass fight!  Definitely my favorite in the game so far.  Virtually every mistake you make gets punished, but I usually knew right away when I had attacked or healed at a wrong time.  Nothing about this battle felt cheap/unfair, and there's a learning curve that feels extremely rewarding.

 

Though I admittedly have a bad memory for things like this, it's maybe the best 'Boss Battle' I've experienced in any game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Though I'm jumping past several areas I've not chronicled yet, I have to say that I ended my playthrough yesterday by defeating Knight Artorias. 

 

THAT is a badass fight!  Definitely my favorite in the game so far.  Virtually every mistake you make gets punished, but I usually knew right away when I had attacked or healed at a wrong time.  Nothing about this battle felt cheap/unfair, and there's a learning curve that feels extremely rewarding.

 

Though I admittedly have a bad memory for things like this, it's maybe the best 'Boss Battle' I've experienced in any game.  

You finished the game? Knight Artorious is the final fight of the DLC but the final fight of the main game will restart the game after kill him, are you sure you did everything? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

You finished the game? Knight Artorious is the final fight of the DLC but the final fight of the main game will restart the game after kill him, are you sure you did everything? 

 

No, I'm not done yet.  I'm in the Chasm of the Abyss right now.  I also still need to deliver my souls to the Firelink Altar.

 

I defeated Kalameet about an hour ago.  Also a GREAT boss battle.  The DLC portion of the game is fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, a Chunk said:

 

No, I'm not done yet.  I'm in the Chasm of the Abyss right now.  I also still need to deliver my souls to the Firelink Altar.

 

I defeated Kalameet about an hour ago.  Also a GREAT boss battle.  The DLC portion of the game is fantastic.

Oh, I misinterpreted your meaning when you said "I ended my playthrough yesterday" lol carry on. Tomb of the Giants is pretty gnarly lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.