2 hours ago, a Chunk said:

I've completed 3 full playthroughs of Dark Souls.  Still plan to play through it several more times, but I decided to give the other games a try.

I got an hour into Dark Souls 2 and couldn't handle it anymore.  The control feel so janky.  It's nearly flawless in the original, and somehow they managed to mess it up in the second?  Weird.  I may come back to it at some point in the future, but I can't see myself every enjoying it.  It reminds me of how Halo 3 felt to me when I played it originally, and I still can't stand it.

I moved on to the third game.  I'm only about an hour into it, but am enjoying it quite a bit so far.  I just made my way through Firelink, and started on the area you warp to after that which I can't remember the name of.  I'll try to share some updates as I go along.

Yeah I just can't with dark souls 2. I've played through 3 like 8 times though, lot better. Game has really good animations. 

Dark Souls 2 requires a completely different playstyle than the other two souls game. The easiest way to play in the first and third game is the worst way to play in the second game. Easiest being paladin type builds. Also, adaptability.  It's still a great game just plays completely different but the playstyle of the second game actually translates to the other 2 games and can make the other two games feel easier. Basically, camera lock is your enemy in Dark Souls 2 other than for camera straightens. Because mobility is low and you have to invest into a stat for I-Frames. This makes locking yourself in on a target very dangerous a lot of the times. If you want to play a lock on style in that game use magic or lightning bolt spam and you can continue your turtle adventure.

Game has tons of replay value with the addition of new items and new enemies through ng+. I think the 3rd game is a more polished version of the first game with less build freedom but if it would have been my first souls experience I probably would have liked it more than the first two but it really felt like they were just trying to appeal to the paladin players with how strong short sword and great sword builds are.  

There is my bi-monthly defense of Fashion Souls the black sheep of souls games as always Fuck you Ancient Dragon you one-shotting piece of shit.

Also, it is always great hearing where people got stuck in the DS2 because they didn't know adaptability would give them I-frames. 

@purely fat That's good info, and I'll keep it in mind if I revisit the game.  The approach you're suggesting sounds quite fun to me. 

Too bad it feels like my on screen character isn't moving in unison with what I'm telling it to do with the controller.  There's a slipperiness there that I just can't get past enough to enjoy the game right now.

3 hours ago, a Chunk said:

@purely fat That's good info, and I'll keep it in mind if I revisit the game.  The approach you're suggesting sounds quite fun to me. 

Too bad it feels like my on screen character isn't moving in unison with what I'm telling it to do with the controller.  There's a slipperiness there that I just can't get past enough to enjoy the game right now.

Definitely does feel like that especially after playing the first game. I never got the slipperiness but the general pace is slower and that alone makes it feel funky after playing the first game Also enemy weapon hitboxes are insane DS2. Your H2 to H3 comparison is quite good. 

I'm enjoying Dark Souls 3 so far. I'm not too far along, I'm at Crystal Sage right now.  The game is proving to be more difficult than I expected after getting pretty comfortable playing the first game.  The main difference so far is that most of the encounters seem to have you facing multiple enemies at once.  In the first game there are a few sections where there are packs of enemies, but it almost seems to be the norm in this game.

It's also taking me some time to learn what all of the attributes refer to. I kind of wish if they were going to change them that would would have just given them names that weren't used before.  After putting quite a few hours into DS1, I can't help but think of HP when looking at Vitality, for example.  But now Vigor affects HP and Vitality does not.  I'll get it figured out though I suppose.

One other thing of note is that the levels are much less linear so far.  I find myself struggling to create mental maps as a go along, and having a hard time keeping track of where I am and what direction I'm headed.  This will obviously become easier as I go along.  It's not a complaint, just a noticeable difference in the design.  And it could also be that it's more linear than I think, and I just haven't grasped the layout/s so far.

So yeah, apart from some minor things, I'm having a good time with the game.  The level design is very good.  The enemy design is very good.  And most importantly, the controls are very solid and feel natural.

58 minutes ago, a Chunk said:

I'm enjoying Dark Souls 3 so far. I'm not too far along, I'm at Crystal Sage right now.  The game is proving to be more difficult than I expected after getting pretty comfortable playing the first game.  The main difference so far is that most of the encounters seem to have you facing multiple enemies at once.  In the first game there are a few sections where there are packs of enemies, but it almost seems to be the norm in this game.

It's also taking me some time to learn what all of the attributes refer to. I kind of wish if they were going to change them that would would have just given them names that weren't used before.  After putting quite a few hours into DS1, I can't help but think of HP when looking at Vitality, for example.  But now Vigor affects HP and Vitality does not.  I'll get it figured out though I suppose.

One other thing of note is that the levels are much less linear so far.  I find myself struggling to create mental maps as a go along, and having a hard time keeping track of where I am and what direction I'm headed.  This will obviously become easier as I go along.  It's not a complaint, just a noticeable difference in the design.  And it could also be that it's more linear than I think, and I just haven't grasped the layout/s so far.

So yeah, apart from some minor things, I'm having a good time with the game.  The level design is very good.  The enemy design is very good.  And most importantly, the controls are very solid and feel natural.

Keep me updated. The world map is definitely a lot more linear than Ds1. But the game has solid controls and really good animations. The rpg elements are a lot weaker though, the stats and armor doesn't make nearly as big of a difference. 

On 7/3/2020 at 10:24 PM, MultiLockOn said:

Keep me updated. The world map is definitely a lot more linear than Ds1. But the game has solid controls and really good animations. The rpg elements are a lot weaker though, the stats and armor doesn't make nearly as big of a difference. 

Oh yeah, from a world map perspective it’s definitely really linear, which I don’t care for much. I was thinking of the individual levels. There seem to be so many different directions to go within most of the levels, and the paths often don’t reconnect very well. I can’t always keep track of where I have and haven’t been, and find myself backtracking a lot, or feeling like I’m missing large sections of the level. Some distinguishing landmarks could’ve helped a lot in some sections. I just feel like I’m fighting against the level layouts pretty regularly. 
I’m still enjoying it though. I’m working through Farron Keep, extinguishing the fires right now. 

14 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Oh yeah, from a world map perspective it’s definitely really linear, which I don’t care for much. I was thinking of the individual levels. There seem to be so many different directions to go within most of the levels, and the paths often don’t reconnect very well. I can’t always keep track of where I have and haven’t been, and find myself backtracking a lot, or feeling like I’m missing large sections of the level. Some distinguishing landmarks could’ve helped a lot in some sections. I just feel like I’m fighting against the level layouts pretty regularly. 
I’m still enjoying it though. I’m working through Farron Keep, extinguishing the fires right now. 

Yeah that swamp is probably the worst part of the game lol gets a lot cooler over that though. What weapon? 

I got lucky (I think) and snagged a Black Knight Great Sword from the first Black Knight.  At this point my strength isn't high enough to one hand it (I think I have about 3 more levels to go).  I've been alternating between two handing that, and using the Claymore in areas where I feel like I really need a shield.  My general habit right now is to start battles with either a running attack or an R2 attack, and then follow it up with a couple of R1 attacks.  It honestly varies depending upon the enemies attacks though, and which weapon I'm using at the time.  I've also mixed in some other weapons along the way, but it's mostly been those two.

• 2 weeks later...

Making slow progress on DS3.  Just beat Dancer of the Boreal Valley

48704563336_f49acd22b0_b.jpg

The game is pretty good, but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, it's just not grabbing my interest like DS1 did.  I'm enjoying the boss fights quite a bit on the whole though.  To me, they are the best part of the game to this point.

15 minutes ago, a Chunk said:

Making slow progress on DS3.  Just beat Dancer of the Boreal Valley

48704563336_f49acd22b0_b.jpg

The game is pretty good, but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, it's just not grabbing my interest like DS1 did.  I'm enjoying the boss fights quite a bit, on the whole though.  To me, they are the best part of the game to this point.

Each area is essentially a line, not meant to be revisited as you progress through other parts of the game. The local level design is awesome, but that design isn't extended to entire areas like it is in DS1, but instead the game branches out into dead ends, where you know your done because you got a boss bonfire and can't go any furthur. In DS1, that bonfire would connect back into the world, even if the shortcut doesn't mean much. Same with Bloodborne.

The tone, as demonstrated even by that picture, is kinda like an anime, whereas DS1 is like a folk story, a tale you tell to your children. Very noticeable difference once you go back from 3 to 1.

Finally, Combat isn't nearly as punishing or intentional. Punishing - as in a wrong move doesn't cost you as much, not in the sense of overall difficulty. DS3 is significantly harder as a game. Not as intentional, because of the sheer number of actions in the games, as you hit harder in DS1, and die faster, but the number of overall inputs is small compared to 3, which is spammy and fast paced in comparison.

23 minutes ago, Westin said:

Each area is essentially a line, not meant to be revisited as you progress through other parts of the game. The local level design is awesome, but that design isn't extended to entire areas like it is in DS1, but instead the game branches out into dead ends, where you know your done because you got a boss bonfire and can't go any furthur. In DS1, that bonfire would connect back into the world, even if the shortcut doesn't mean much. Same with Bloodborne.

The tone, as demonstrated even by that picture, is kinda like an anime, whereas DS1 is like a folk story, a tale you tell to your children. Very noticeable difference once you go back from 3 to 1.

Finally, Combat isn't nearly as punishing or intentional. Punishing - as in a wrong move doesn't cost you as much, not in the sense of overall difficulty. DS3 is significantly harder as a game. Not as intentional, because of the sheer number of actions in the games, as you hit harder in DS1, and die faster, but the number of overall inputs is small compared to 3, which is spammy and fast paced in comparison.

Yes, thank you for putting words to what I've been feeling.  I think that's quite an accurate assessment of some of the reasons it may not be connecting with me in the same way.

48 minutes ago, Westin said:

I think the weapon balance difference between the games plays a bit of part in this. Nice post. 

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

Did you grab the DLC for DS3 as well Chunk? They're both really good, highly recommend.

Yeah, I believe all DLC is included in the Remastered version.  I accidentally went to The Painted World of Ariandel already, but didn't play through the area.