purely fat

Guitars and Stuff

Use this thread to talk about gear and to ask questions about gear. 

First question, should I get and axe fx or another tube amp? I have been struggling to decide because I here great things about axe fx but modelers spook me. Especially one that is a bit pricey.

9 hours ago, purely fat said:

Use this thread to talk about gear and to ask questions about gear. 

First question, should I get and axe fx or another tube amp? I have been struggling to decide because I here great things about axe fx but modelers spook me. Especially one that is a bit pricey.

Totally depends on the rest of your setup. What kind of guitar do you have? You play live? You record? What DAW you use? What microphone? Or is it DI?

Personally, I'm happy with Garageband's current suite of plugins, I've managed to get pretty close to studio-quality tone and recording with them.

On 7/31/2020 at 7:01 PM, icyhotspartin said:

Totally depends on the rest of your setup. What kind of guitar do you have? You play live? You record? What DAW you use? What microphone? Or is it DI?

Personally, I'm happy with Garageband's current suite of plugins, I've managed to get pretty close to studio-quality tone and recording with them.

I am actually in the midst of setting up a personal studio. After I typed that up I also learned about bias fx which is pretty nice as well. As far as guitars go though. I got a few. If you have any good recommendations for an audio interface that would be swell. Don't really know what I should be looking for with that same thing goes for DAW. Not sure what the best bang for the buck options are. 

The guitars I have. Mid-2000's Gibson SG Faded, 2015 Fender Telecaster Special, 2018 Ibanez AZ 24, PRS S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollowbody, Ernie Ball Music Man Cutlass (I have a guitar buying problem). I have a 50 watt tube amp and a couple of metal pedals from when I was in a post-hardcore/metalcore band. So outside of certain fx I cover a pretty wide range of tone.

Very cool - I think Zombievillain made a post about his personal studio back on FH, but I can’t recall if it was him or not. Might want to ask him what he did 😉 

In the interim, most music types invest in Logic Pro. Or ProTools if you’re on PC.

Again though, I just use GarageBand, since it’s ultimately about what kind of music you’re making and how well you know your tools.

I record exclusively with a Supro Hampton on 2-year-old Ernie Ball standards into a Mac Pro thru a Scarlett interface and Fender cable. Total cost was about $1700 retail, and with it I can approximate tones from Pink Floyd, to Angus/Malcom, to Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai, to Buddy Guy or Billy Gibbons. Very capable instrument, but it’s not equipped with a tremolo bridge, so I can’t do everything I want to.

I recommend the guitar, but I don’t think you need another one lol. It sounds best thru a 🧈100+ watt Marshall stack anyway.

8 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

Very cool - I think Zombievillain made a post about his personal studio back on FH, but I can’t recall if it was him or not. Might want to ask him what he did 😉 

In the interim, most music types invest in Logic Pro. Or ProTools if you’re on PC.

Again though, I just use GarageBand, since it’s ultimately about what kind of music you’re making and how well you know your tools.

I record exclusively with a Supro Hampton on 2-year-old Ernie Ball standards into a Mac Pro thru a Scarlett interface and Fender cable. Total cost was about $1700 retail, and with it I can approximate tones from Pink Floyd, to Angus/Malcom, to Eddie Van Halen or Steve Vai, to Buddy Guy or Billy Gibbons. Very capable instrument, but it’s not equipped with a tremolo bridge, so I can’t do everything I want to.

I recommend the guitar, but I don’t think you need another one lol. It sounds best thru a 🧈100+ watt Marshall stack anyway.

I might just use garage band because I can you bias fx with it. You got one of the nice scarletts or the cheap one?

Yeah I really only have enough space to record guitar atm. I might be interested in better tools down the line. Also, if you are ever looking to spend 2000 on a Stratocaster type guitar get an AZ or Cutlass both are right around 2000 brand new with feature that you don't even see on some $3000 Fenders. You can't get a 3 single coil AZ though but they come with coil splitters so no need really