Jesse Duchene | Level Designer

Soldat Du Christ

• 2 weeks later...

Objective feedback first:

• There are grammar mistakes, I found around five after quickly looking through the content. Wouldn't look professional to a scout, as it would seem like you didn't put effort into your portfolio
  • Readability is lacking for some parts because of the white contour used (e.g. Tribunal, Cepheus), which makes it more difficult to read without struggle - I'd suggest highering the contrast, so the attention span of the reader is elongated
  • At first glance, someone with no knowledge of Halo 5 or its editor doesn't know, what you are designing for. Is it single player or multiplayer? Etc. I would cut the short descriptions, which don't stay in the head anyway, and change them out with hard facts like "4v4 Slayer" or something along the line, so the reader consumes as little time as possible to get an overall sense
  • When hovering over the maps I saw colour inconsistencies, which can easily be fixed. I just wanted to mention that on the side
  • For business-emails it is best to only include your actual ser- and forename, not something "unserious" or not fitting. Pardon me, if "Soldat" is your middle name, however I wouldn't think so. Having literally "Soldier" in your name could seem aggressive or offensive towards people (you never know what offends people, so I would always go the save route in that case)

Now, fonts have meaning behind them, they are a pretty important factor of how to convey feelings and sense. Your palette of fonts for the eye catching map names is rather small or the same looking, however that is not a problem. What I would do is associating the map names, as in their actual name (like Bastion: it's a castle, strong and fortified), with the right font types, so you get a greater impression from the reader.

To stay at that example with Last Bastion, I would say that a more grounded, bold font would be more suited for that type of name. As for the original font you used, I would take that to Victorian, as that fits the style of the 1830s perfectly instead of the simplistic, straight font you currently use. As you can see, there are a lot of layers for fonts and it is important to have a cohesive font language/design that fits a certain type of media.

Overally, good for your first portfolio. Keep at it and you have yourself a great advertisement. Your design documentaries are a highlight, as they can give the reader a lot of information about your thought process and design experience.

3 hours ago, Buddy Jumps said:

Objective feedback first:

• There are grammar mistakes, I found around five after quickly looking through the content. Wouldn't look professional to a scout, as it would seem like you didn't put effort into your portfolio
  • Readability is lacking for some parts because of the white contour used (e.g. Tribunal, Cepheus), which makes it more difficult to read without struggle - I'd suggest highering the contrast, so the attention span of the reader is elongated
  • At first glance, someone with no knowledge of Halo 5 or its editor doesn't know, what you are designing for. Is it single player or multiplayer? Etc. I would cut the short descriptions, which don't stay in the head anyway, and change them out with hard facts like "4v4 Slayer" or something along the line, so the reader consumes as little time as possible to get an overall sense
  • When hovering over the maps I saw colour inconsistencies, which can easily be fixed. I just wanted to mention that on the side
  • For business-emails it is best to only include your actual ser- and forename, not something "unserious" or not fitting. Pardon me, if "Soldat" is your middle name, however I wouldn't think so. Having literally "Soldier" in your name could seem aggressive or offensive towards people (you never know what offends people, so I would always go the save route in that case)

Now, fonts have meaning behind them, they are a pretty important factor of how to convey feelings and sense. Your palette of fonts for the eye catching map names is rather small or the same looking, however that is not a problem. What I would do is associating the map names, as in their actual name (like Bastion: it's a castle, strong and fortified), with the right font types, so you get a greater impression from the reader.

To stay at that example with Last Bastion, I would say that a more grounded, bold font would be more suited for that type of name. As for the original font you used, I would take that to Victorian, as that fits the style of the 1830s perfectly instead of the simplistic, straight font you currently use. As you can see, there are a lot of layers for fonts and it is important to have a cohesive font language/design that fits a certain type of media.

Overally, good for your first portfolio. Keep at it and you have yourself a great advertisement. Your design documentaries are a highlight, as they can give the reader a lot of information about your thought process and design experience.

thanks man, good observations, i'll be changing some things next time i get the chance 🙂 i cant help but to see LB as a elegant art project even when you make good points about how its more grounded, hopefully ill get over that eventually

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png