5 hours ago, Boyo said:

Was 343 right to condense all these abilities into the Grappleshot or would distributing them more judiciously have prevented the jack of all trades syndrome, where it is not particularly good at any one thing, that it seems to suffer from?  

Hypothetically, I like the idea of weapons having unique characteristics, but I like that they put them all into one item.  I have little faith that it will work well, and this makes it easier to remove. It would suck to need to remove good weapons because of bad abilities being tied to them.

On a related note, I am planning to make a thread for Halo Infinite discussion, and moving relevant posts there.

I know we are all used to WAYWO being a free for all, and I'm fine with the conversation moving in different directions, but anything that could generate significant discussion is going to be moved/spun off into a separate thread. The primary focus of WAYWO should be one what we are actually working on, while discussion about particular games should/will go in a thread dedicated to that game (ie: Dark Souls).

8 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

I do not believe halos slow pace is inherent to its identity, it's a sympton of a lack of innovation in the game to compete with industry standards. People are very good at gaming now and the average response time, target acquisition, etc has changed dramatically. 

A hardly functional slide, slow strafe speeds, the turn acceleration mechanic, etc is holding the game back from a ton more potential in other options to increase the skill gap. 

Halo feels unresponsive and there's unnecessarily too much time to think. You can be just as methodical with half as much time. It just requires quicker wit. 

You lost me at "compete with industry standards" 

I believe the general pace of Bungies Halo's (1,2,3 and Reach) to be at the very core of Halo's identify. It has a charming methodical rhythm I don't want to see leave the franchise.  Once you start ramping up movement speed, giving players tons of extra movement abilities and decreasing avg ttk of utility weapons the entire identity of the combat loop begins to change and the level design with it.  Even the art of the game is tied to it's pace imo as the pace alters how you emotionally perceive the spatial environments you navigate through.

I will agree that increased responsiveness  in the things like strafe you mentioned could  definitely be a positive for the franchise. Idk, identity on products is such an interesting topic. 

Halo 5 was actually an insane game for skill gap, but was held down by it's sluggishness and poor aiming mechanics. Even tho the game really wasn't Halo, I sure am gonna miss the hell out of it. Designing for it was so much fun, I honestly don't see Infinite being as fun to design for... Okay screw it I agree with you. HYPERBOOST Halo Infinite, it's time to evolve to new heights of Godhooudness. 

idk if they'll fix that, but if I'm correct, the detailing on the edge of this outcropping is either the result of poor art direction or a result of a new forge materials brush tool. I'm leaning towards forge, based on the way the grass just fades out from nothing about a foot from the bump in the rock geometry you can see just under the muzzle flash

317878322_ScreenShot2021-06-17at5_41_35PM.thumb.png.71bb8588760e8945177d4ba8dc8e793b.png

21 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

idk if they'll fix that, but if I'm correct, the detailing on the edge of this outcropping is either the result of poor art direction or a result of a new forge materials brush tool. I'm leaning towards forge, based on the way the grass just fades out from nothing about a foot from the bump in the rock geometry you can see just under the muzzle flash

317878322_ScreenShot2021-06-17at5_41_35PM.thumb.png.71bb8588760e8945177d4ba8dc8e793b.png

Looks like there's some dithering, so I would guess it's dev work. Maybe just poor decorating

40 minutes ago, Westin said:

Looks like there's some dithering, so I would guess it's dev work. Maybe just poor decorating

I definitely think it’s dev work but even H5 Natural Terrain pieces had some dithering on the edges, so I’m really leaning towards the forge tool

Theres also a small crease in the geo visible behind and to the right of the turret where two or three materials appear to have been painted over the top of each other without regards for the geo

I'm glad they're toning things back. Looks like the most playable Halo game in years by far, and should be a good platform for this community

But, since they did tone things back, I would've expected a lot more from the game. The things I'm missing are along the lines of like... vehicle boarding from H1 to 2, or like the elephant and sandtrap in Halo 3. The beauty of simplicity in Halo is that you can add large scale sandbox additions and balance them with ease. Supplementary systems, unique maps, weapons, vehicles, gametypes, it's all fair game. Only thing "new" we see in infinite is equipment, which isn't really new, while the individual abilities look obnoxious. Sensor dart is just promethean vision you have more control over, lol. The problem with equipment was never the idea, but instead how the pickups were designed, and this go around they seem much more offensive than they ever were in H3. Equipment in that game is already kinda controversial, so I predict that we'll all eventually hate wallhacks and genji deflect once we get past the honeymoon phase and the free-kill dopamine hits they give us on launch week

And whetever else they may do right, unfortunately, if the game halo 5 magnetism without Halo 5 movement, it will play itself and die (H2A). If it Has Halo 5 aiming, same thing

i really hope were not just FREE to run around when deploying the OV. some dude argued and said it was balanced because the guy in the video died while trying to use it....

This guy completely fails to grasp that if the guy in the video ran out of the door or behind cover he could have deployed it. 

There needs to be a sort of tether that grounds you to a certain radius while deploying. Like as soon as you CLICK ov and the animation triggers, you can only walk within a certain circle.  Maybe it's already this way who knows. But Man I'm going to hate this new mechanic.

ed0dc3175910c8eda36e5dba4ec6ca39.png

Edited by JB_

I really dislike the idea of saving OS or SB or DB or whatever as equipment. I don't dislike the idea of making the powerup spawn at the location of the prior user's death, but that I think should be a customs option, not nilla gameplay. Maybe it can work as equipment in BTB a little, or firefight. Hopefully forge allows trait volumes again and we will be able to make CE->reach style powerups if we want

in fact that should just be its own custom game, like VIP meets KOTH

If they insist upon having powerups work this way, the easiest way I can think of to make it bearable would be to require that you have full shields to use anything that's saved in your back pocket.  This adds some degree of risk in waiting to use it.

But I hope there will be an option to have it function more traditionally, along with more control than we've typically had. I would love to be able to control exactly how strong they are, and how they function in different scenarios (example: full shields vs no shields).  

15 hours ago, JB_ said:

There needs to be a sort of tether that grounds you to a certain radius while deploying. Like as soon as you CLICK ov and the animation triggers, you can only walk within a certain circle.

If Halo was going to implement some kind of tether mechanic, you think a deployable OS is the best element to connect it to?  What other gameplay elements could benefit from a tether mechanic?  

36 minutes ago, Boyo said:

If Halo was going to implement some kind of tether mechanic, you think a deployable OS is the best element to connect it to?  What other gameplay elements could benefit from a tether mechanic?  

this is literally armor lock, it needs some sort of tether for that. I can just decide when to use armor lock at will just like this new OV. granted you can Burn the OV, but most people with brains will go behind cover to deploy it.

imagine how OP armor lock would be if I could move while using it. the only difference is armor lock is totally immune to all damage. but they can't return fire... OV CAN return fire aAAAnd move at the same time...

and for clarity sake the tether would only activate during the OV deploy animation. No other time. Which would be literally a 1.5 second animation maybe .8-1.2 seconds.

Edited by JB_

2 minutes ago, JB_ said:

this is literally armor lock

I would liken it more to a personal Regen that forgot to stop all full shields.  

On 6/18/2021 at 6:15 PM, Westin said:

I'm glad they're toning things back. Looks like the most playable Halo game in years by far, and should be a good platform for this community

But, since they did tone things back, I would've expected a lot more from the game. The things I'm missing are along the lines of like... vehicle boarding from H1 to 2, or like the elephant and sandtrap in Halo 3. The beauty of simplicity in Halo is that you can add large scale sandbox additions and balance them with ease. Supplementary systems, unique maps, weapons, vehicles, gametypes, it's all fair game. Only thing "new" we see in infinite is equipment, which isn't really new, while the individual abilities look obnoxious. Sensor dart is just promethean vision you have more control over, lol. The problem with equipment was never the idea, but instead how the pickups were designed, and this go around they seem much more offensive than they ever were in H3. Equipment in that game is already kinda controversial, so I predict that we'll all eventually hate wallhacks and genji deflect once we get past the honeymoon phase and the free-kill dopamine hits they give us on launch week

And whetever else they may do right, unfortunately, if the game halo 5 magnetism without Halo 5 movement, it will play itself and die (H2A). If it Has Halo 5 aiming, same thing

Agree with Halo 5 magnetism comment, hopefully the games aiming isn't auto pilot like H2a. It appears the strafe is pretty responsive and quick so I have hope, as for your take on the abilities shown and there influence I'd have to disagree on some aspects. 

Promethean vision is way more offensive then the sensor dart imo, as it's ammo is unlimited, you can choose to spawn with it, it doesn't require you to physically aim and launch a projectile in the range you want to use it, there is no way to know (that I'm aware of) someone was using Promethean vision where as you can see the dart and track the direction it came from. It also appeard to have a much smaller radius then pro vision. 

I think what is going to be the deciding factor for me is the scarcity and positioning of the equipment pickups. Rockets and snipe and pretty much any other Bungies era "fair and balanced" pickups/power ups would be super annoying if they respawned very quickly and we're widely available on maps. If the equipment is placed in positions and with  ammo counts that are in accordance to there power on maps I doubt it will be an issue.  Like if there is one place you can go to get the sensor dart and it only spawns every 3 minutes for example I doubt it will be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I can add something.

In Shyway's new video, he finds something no one else noticed; the Flag is now a weapon you carry, and that can be backpacked while having your secondary weapon out.

This is a gigantic change, moreso than Flagnum. I'd love to read the discussion about this.

5 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

the Flag is now a weapon you carry, and that can be backpacked while having your secondary weapon out.

It empowers the individual so it sounds like a good thing but I always felt like your gun gets you points in slayer so that’s what you hold there and the objective gets you points in objective so that’s what you hold there.  At the scale competitive halo is played at, this feels unnecessary and like they’re removing a nice balancing factor, the disadvantage that the carrier is at.  Now, it’s just slayer with an occasional flag touch.  

• 5 weeks later...

Hard for me to say much about Infinite at this point since I've not played it and have only watched a small amount of gameplay.  That said, my first impression is that it just feels uninspired. 

There doesn't seem to be any continuity in the art or level design of the maps.

The weapons seem okay, but many of them don't scream 'Halo' to me.

The movement hits a middle ground between 'classic' and 'modern' that I don't think anyone will be completely satisfied with.

The aiming appears to be inconsistent and often frustrating for players.

I guess the bottom line for me is that I don't see anything that makes me want to rage, but I also don't see anything that has me excited. It's a big meh...