22 hours ago, a Chunk said:

If you're trying to do the 'NLD' reaction, it's restricted to one per member per day. That particular reaction is limited to one per day because it's worth 5 times as many points as the others. You can wait until tomorrow if you want, or use a different reaction. 

I would understand if the points got us a reward but they dont do anything why limit me?

19 minutes ago, JB_ said:

I would understand if the points got us a reward but they dont do anything why limit me?

Since the current negative reaction is set to only -1 point, the +5 point reactions only needs to have 20% or more members using it versus the members using the -1 point reaction in order to have said post be neutral or positive for the user that posted it. This means that a small minority of people can boost someone's rating to seem more agreeable to the overall members of the thread than they truly do. This is why it is limited. Personally, I say the -1 point reaction should be unlimited per day after a user has been active on the forum for at least 60 days to prevent bot spam abuse, and the +5 point reaction should be limited to 1 per day with the same restriction for new users as mentioned. I know that this sounds like more negativity than necessary, but the +1 reactions are unlimited as well, so overall the magnitude of max positive points given in a day will be 5 times the number of active users greater than the magnitude of max negative points given. Overall the theme of the forum is positive while having a good amount of boundaries against abuse.

54 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

Since the current negative reaction is set to only -1 point, the +5 point reactions only needs to have 20% or more members using it versus the members using the -1 point reaction in order to have said post be neutral or positive for the user that posted it. This means that a small minority of people can boost someone's rating to seem more agreeable to the overall members of the thread than they truly do. This is why it is limited. Personally, I say the -1 point reaction should be unlimited per day after a user has been active on the forum for at least 60 days to prevent bot spam abuse, and the +5 point reaction should be limited to 1 per day with the same restriction for new users as mentioned. I know that this sounds like more negativity than necessary, but the +1 reactions are unlimited as well, so overall the magnitude of max positive points given in a day will be 5 times the number of active users greater than the magnitude of max negative points given. Overall the theme of the forum is positive while having a good amount of boundaries against abuse.

my point is theyre reactions... yet they have points.

if I want to react, i can't do that. Because of a point system.... Why not just have reactions?  my reactions dont need a number to represent them.

hmmm. I cant think of an alternative so just keep it as is. Maybe Im just the one idiot thinking this lol

Edited by JB_

Just now, JB_ said:

my point is theyre reactions... yet they have points.

if I want to react, i can't do that. Because of a point system.... Why not just have reactions? 

Do you have any suggestions on how to have separate points and reactions?

7 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

Do you have any suggestions on how to have separate points and reactions?

lol no thats the problem see when I see a legit work with sweat going into it. thats when I drop the NLD reaction. I missed yesterday and hit fire. So I went to change it to NLD and couldn't 

The point im trying to make is sometimes i just want to react and not put a value on it. Like NLD I credit to everyone doing good work. maybe just keep these original reactions and the point values with them and just additional  ones that DONT have values. PURELY reactionary material. like a kappa face or some shit. just goofy reactions or shit. like that Keanu reeves one Chunk had in his example. How would you even put a value on that?  0+? 

edit: honestly well forget about this in 2 hrs so. who even cares

Edited by JB_

6 minutes ago, JB_ said:

lol no thats the problem see when I see a legit work with sweat going into it. thats when I drop the NLD reaction. I missed yesterday and hit fire. So I went to change it to NLD and couldn't 

The point im trying to make is sometimes i just want to react and not put a value on it. Like NLD I credit to everyone doing good work. maybe just keep these original reactions and the point values with them and just additional  ones that DONT have values. PURELY reactionary material. like a kappa face or some shit. just goofy reactions or shit. like that Keanu reeves one Chunk had in his example. How would you even put a value on that?  0+? 

Hmmm, I may not have the authority to make changes to the system, but I definitely see your point. I've felt the same way multiple times throughout the life of the current system. I just realized that the system gives rep, not points, so I'll be using the terms correctly for now on. The purpose of reputation is similar to financial credit with the exception that it doesn't block anyone's ability to use the forum. It shows how someone is received by the forum members as a whole. Here's an idea: each user can have a arbitrary amount of reputation per arbitrary amount of time that they can give to users. This would allow for unlimited reactions with a hard limit to how much reputation that can be given out. The new user limit would only be a lower amount of reputation that can be given per arbitrary amount of time. I think that this would work pretty well.

1 hour ago, JB_ said:

edit: honestly well forget about this in 2 hrs so. who even cares

I'm totally on board with having reactions without points attached to them.  This one is already set like that:   :Mixed_Emotions:

I'm just totally swamped with other things right now, and have had virtually not time to do anything on the site except read through posts quickly.

I prefer not to have limits on reputation, but there's no point in having a +5 without having some limit tied to it, so that's the one exception right now.  I believe I could set the limit to whatever we want. I could increase it to 2/day... Doesn't do anything to eliminate your perfectly reasonable point, but it would give a bit more freedom with the NLD reaction.

Do you know what coding language is used for the site? There might be a solution to the problem that I can figure out, but I really don't want to accidentally destroy the site lol

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

I like how the nld is a special reactions reserved for only the most superior of posts, i would even double down on it and make it one nld reaction per day, not per person

imagine someone staying up until midnight to use the NLD react with their alt account lol

1 hour ago, Kantalope said:

Classic forerunner always saves the framerate. Can't wait to play this map without dips down to 15 fps lmao

yeah - and to think, I can still cut way down on pieces for this one, even with all the current improvements in layout and budgeting

3 hours ago, JB_ said:

YO I CANNOT WAIT TO BUY A RTX 3080TI IF THEY EVER COME OUT

I've been meaning to upgrade from my 1070, so that 3070 is looking pretty delicious. Might upgrade to a Ryzen system, too