Found this today, interesting interview -- https://devgamecourse.blogspot.com/2020/10/a-conversation-with-chris-crawford-by.html

Relevant passage:

Eastern Front (1941) was one of Crawford’s most noteworthy creations so I decided to press him for details. “Eastern Front was a creative implementation of an obvious idea. ‘Let’s do a good wargame on a computer!’” he said. “Pulling it off involved an awful lot of creativity, but it required tactical creativity as opposed to strategic creativity.”
I was puzzled by what he meant. Crawford has a reputation for being outspoken, but it’s a cryptic sort of outspokenness, profound to the point of incomprehensibility. Talking to him can be like reading A Brief History of Time at 120 words a minute. You always feel like you’re missing something.
       “Tactical creativity is implementation creativity. How do we build a good map? How do we move units around? How do we build a good AI system? You already know where you are going and you are just figuring out how to get there.”
      “So would you say in today’s game industry we have a lot of tactical creativity and less strategic creativity?” I asked.

“Nowadays the stuff we call creative is tiny, tiny stuff. It’s hard to even call it creative at all. Technically, yes, I see a lot of creativity. But I see almost no design creativity in the stuff that’s coming out there.”

I think there's something relevant to map design in there,  re. 'tactical creativity' vs 'strategic creativity', but unfortunately the interviewer does not add more on that topic. Definitely worth discussion, my understanding is that the distinction he (Crawford) is making is between developing a strategy to achieve an either wide, categorical objective (world domination, in something like RISK, for example) or a self-directed objective (land management over real estate supremacy in something like Monopoly, for example) versus developing a strategy to accomplish a pre-set objective (capturing the flag on a given core map, as his example might suggest, or jumping through various hoops to take out a target in Hitman, for example).

1 hour ago, Westin said:

This is getting old

I agree. It would be best for everyone involved to let go of whatever gripes they have with one another, and move on. I can't see a proper discussion between both sides happening anytime soon, and I certainly won't ask for one. While I don't agree with how Purely made his thoughts known, I can say I agree with his message. But as I said, the likelihood of us getting together in an Xbox Live party chat to make amends seems small.

I wholeheartedly recommend forgive and forgetting. Apologies for being involved.

If any of you want to make design articles/docs/anything, I think that this forum should feature or officially publish them. Of course I'd like a vetting process, but only really to check if anything absurd that would make this forum to be considered a cult or terrorist organization by the FBI/CIA/CTU or whatever lol. The only person I can think of on this forum that would make that happen is Salty, but that's ok! What's a great life and a great brand without a little spice?

Also, the new Splitgate gamemode is just convoluted Extermination lmao. Kills shorten your respawn timer while deaths lengthen it, the latter being more impactful to the timer. The portals are still annoying as fuuuuuuck, but at least it's not Halo 5 lmao.

22 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Thanks man, I appreciate that.

I've certainly given this some thought since launching the site, and I just can't see myself pursuing a different type of community.  I'm pretty sure with some of the connections I've made, I could integrate some relatively large design communities into this site.  Each time I consider it though, it just doesn't feel right to me.  I've concluded that I prefer a community that pushes the boundaries.  And I'm not JUST talking about the boundaries of design, though that's certainly part of it.

I prefer people that are honest, say what they think, and don't moderate their opinions for fear of what others might think and say. This is one of the main things that I find myself being uncomfortable with in other groups.  People are fearful of how what they say may impact future career opportunities, or even just how it will impact their standing within the community.  And while I understand and can appreciate the sort of attentiveness and care that results in, I also find it really irritating. 

I also appreciate that this community ties design discussions so closely to philosophy, and LIFE.  It's seen as a reflection of life, and is discussed within that context, as opposed to being a stand alone concept.  And this view of design as being an integral part of life means that things sometimes get personal.  Don't get me wrong - I really dislike the way that has manifested itself.  But, it's also part of what I love about all of you.  You have a passion for this, and that's what I want this community to be founded on.  If we can find a way to channel that passion into discussions that aren't hurtful, that would be fantastic, and greatly preferred.  But I would/will never trade that passion for the political correctness that would seem to be the alternative.  What can I say - I like it rough and raw.  I realize that from a certain perspective this could be seen as holding the community back.  And I get that because this approach is certainly not for everyone.  It can be really uncomfortable, and is certainly going to be intimidating for newer members.  But it's what I prefer.

And so this community is the one I want and deserve.  That said, be nice to each other.  Recognize the shared passion, and respect that.  Work on communicating in ways that express your thoughts and feelings deeply, without denigrating the passion and unique perspectives of your fellow community members. Approach communication in the same way you approach level design - as a way to solve problems, or create experiences.  Understand that just like in level design, you are responsible for the experience that your words result in, and be intentional about what experience you're wanting to create.  And always work on getting better at it - just as you (I hope) do when it comes to level design.

I believe that all of us seek to grow individually. Our success, or lack thereof, will be mirrored by the growth of the community (and I am NOT referring to growth in the form of size - I don't care about that).  You all decide whether we grow or stagnate.  Choose one.  It should be an easy choice.  😉

And I'll get off my soapbox now.

You want rough and raw? Huh? You SURE ABOUT THAT??

@Xzamplez I've always appreciated your maps and think they are well designed. You're also a master at naming, and have some of the most memorable and unique names out there for your maps. I hate how our arguments have gone in the past, and wish I could change them. I've apologized before, but here's another one, made official. I'm sorry man.

@S0UL FLAME I like your honesty and conviction, and I need to realize myself that when the honesty hurts, it's not an attack, but it's just you being you. I also like that you're still forging, which means you're doing it for the right reasons, wheras admittedly a large part of why I made maps was always, in part, to show off or compete. Not the dominating reason, but definitely a reason.

@purely fat I know that you're secretly one of the friendliest people here who just likes to troll on forums, which is often taken poorly by byself and others. I should be able to temper that reaction with my experience talking to you in voice, but I often fail to do so, and that is on me.

@Soldat Du Christ You're objectively the best, what else can I say?

@SaltyKoalaBear Brother, I am going to try and forget the past entirely, and just say that you have made some of the coolest stuff out there, and the sheer amount you've produced is rivaled only by goat, which puts you amongst the most talented individuals i've ever seen. You're also obviously passionate, and as someone who has let passion make me say much worse things than you ever have, I have no room to judge you for anything.

@Box_Hoes I don't want to patronize and say you have a lot of potential, because I think you've already realized it. Not all the way, none of us have, but it's obvious now that you can make awesome maps. And, considering where you come from, that offers a real hope for halo sweats who hate anything that isn't the pit. Maybe even for JB? One can dream.

@Westin You're an idiot lmao

@Mags You're another less experienced forger who is obviously talented, and incredibly easy to talk to. I hope you make more come infinite.

@icyhotspartin I think you might be the only person (barring chunk) I've never seen get personal with your forum posts, which is honestly an achievement. You're always incredibly thorough with your feedback, and I love your forging style. Hopefully next gen can handle your object density without dropping frames😂

@a Chunk You've cheated with your age. When I'm your age, I'll be just as nice, uncompromising, understanding, dedicated, disciplined, and thorough in everything I do. Not impressed at all.

@no god anywhere I really don't know you that well, but I've liked your maps, and for how few you've made, they look incredible. Well, they look good regardless, what I mean is that they are of a quality I expect out of someone who has made more than you have. Other than that, I hope you will realize that somewhere, no, everywhere, there is a God, and that he took upon himself the punishment for sin so that we might escape his justice and live forever.

@Kantalope I still have a headache from the first time I played dodecahedron.

@MultiLockOn I wish people knew you like I did, because they would hate you even more.😂

11 hours ago, Westin said:

You want rough and raw? Huh? You SURE ABOUT THAT??

@Xzamplez I've always appreciated your maps and think they are well designed. You're also a master at naming, and have some of the most memorable and unique names out there for your maps. I hate how our arguments have gone in the past, and wish I could change them. I've apologized before, but here's another one, made official. I'm sorry man.

@S0UL FLAME I like your honesty and conviction, and I need to realize myself that when the honesty hurts, it's not an attack, but it's just you being you. I also like that you're still forging, which means you're doing it for the right reasons, wheras admittedly a large part of why I made maps was always, in part, to show off or compete. Not the dominating reason, but definitely a reason.

@purely fat I know that you're secretly one of the friendliest people here who just likes to troll on forums, which is often taken poorly by byself and others. I should be able to temper that reaction with my experience talking to you in voice, but I often fail to do so, and that is on me.

@Soldat Du Christ You're objectively the best, what else can I say?

@SaltyKoalaBear Brother, I am going to try and forget the past entirely, and just say that you have made some of the coolest stuff out there, and the sheer amount you've produced is rivaled only by goat, which puts you amongst the most talented individuals i've ever seen. You're also obviously passionate, and as someone who has let passian make me say much worse things than you ever have, I have no room to judge you for anything.

@Box_Hoes I don't want to patronize and say you have a lot of potential, because I think you've already realized it. Not all the way, none of us have, but it's obvious now that you can make awesome maps. And, considering where you come from, that offers a real hope for halo sweats who hate anything that isn't the pit. Maybe even for JB? One can dream.

@Westin You're an idiot lmao

@Mags You're another less experienced forger who is obviously talented, and incredibly easy to talk to. I hope you make more come infinite.

@icyhotspartin I think you might be the only person (barring chunk) I've never seen get personal with your forum posts, which is honestly an achievement. You're always incredibly thorough with your feedback, and I love your forging style. Hopefully next gen can handle your object density without dropping frames😂

@a Chunk You've cheated with your age. When I'm your age, I'll be just as nice, uncompromising, understanding, dedicated, disciplined, and thorough in everything I do. Not impressed at all.

@no god anywhere I really don't know you that well, but I've liked your maps, and for how few you've made, they look incredible. Well, they look good regardless, what I mean is that they are of a quality I expect out of someone who has made more than you have. Other than that, I hope you will realize that somewhere, no, everywhere, there is a God, and that he took upon himself the punishment for sin so that we might escape his justice and live forever.

@Kantalope I still have a headache from the first time I played dodecahedron.

@MultiLockOn I wish people knew you like I did, because they would hate you even more.😂

Reading and enjoying. Seeing lots of tags. Continue to enjoy.... Then notice I am not up there. SAD PANDA. Then realized its probably a good thing. LOL ❤️

9 hours ago, Sethiroth said:

Reading and enjoying. Seeing lots of tags. Continue to enjoy.... Then notice I am not up there. SAD PANDA. Then realized its probably a good thing. LOL ❤️

Bound to forget some people, and you never post here so you weren't on the mind. Also I hate you.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:31 PM, S0UL FLAME said:

I agree. It would be best for everyone involved to let go of whatever gripes they have with one another, and move on. I can't see a proper discussion between both sides happening anytime soon, and I certainly won't ask for one. While I don't agree with how Purely made his thoughts known, I can say I agree with his message. But as I said, the likelihood of us getting together in an Xbox Live party chat to make amends seems small.

I wholeheartedly recommend forgive and forgetting. Apologies for being involved.

Soul Flame you really suck. Is that a better expression.

I can try to be less comedic and sarcastic when I am angry with you in the future bud.

Edited by purely fat
1 hour ago, purely fat said:

I think I am calling a quits on forge for H5 will make thread with all of my unfinished shit and explain my thoughts as long as diabotical doesn't keep eating my soul.

My sell out map for the contest.

Square_Dance_entity.PNG

There is a stair missing

How do you like it so far?

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

7 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

How do you like it so far?

The best blockout tool I've used at the very least. Had the basics of my blockout done within an hour and spent the rest of day tidying it up to line up with suggestions from the mapping basics sheet for the mapping contest.