12 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Downloaded Core and started messing around about a week ago.  https://www.nextleveldesign.org/index.php?/content/news/core-game-creation-kit-r339/

I was hoping for something that would help get me used to using a PC based editor.  Also was thinking that it would allow for faster iteration than forge.  My conclusion after putting about 10 hours into it is that it's a really good platform depending upon what you want to do, but isn't great as a level design tool.

The one thing that I really like in concept is the Terrain editing. It has some good options.  The major downside for me is that it's really meant to create terrain on a Macro level (and it's pretty darn good at that), but it's really poor if you're looking to create detailed terrain to specific shapes/sizes.  I had a very specific terrain shape and size in mind, with multiple terrain tiers wrapping around a temple structure. I was able to create the basic shape I wanted pretty quickly after about an hour of familiarizing myself with the tools. Once I started building the temple, I realized that the terrain I had created was far under scaled. There's no easy way to go back and adjust the terrain after the fact. And the width, height, and slopes are really inaccurate, all being 'painted' by hand.

Building structures is somewhat similar to forge.  There are premade pieces that you can add into your level.  They have default textures, which can be changed.  The pieces can be scaled, which is really nice.  Of course scaling them messes with the textures, but that can be dealt with.  The scaling itself is a little bit wonky, with some pieces stretching in directions that it didn't want, or wasn't expecting according to how I was trying to stretch them.  But still, this is a nice option to have available, and something we've wanted in forge for a long time.  The most annoying part of the structure is that there's no way to do subtractives. I was planning to build a circular structure and then cut a doorway into it.  Not possible...  😠

Anyway, it has helped me become more familiar with working on a map editor on my computer.  But it's definitely not a platform I'm going to be investing a lot of time into to work on level design stuff.  To be honest, the more time I spend working with different editors, the more respect I have for forge. I always kind of looked at it as a second rate editor, but it's really not in a lot of ways.  It allows for quick and accurate iteration, which is fantastic from a level design perspective.  It obviously has its limitation, but so do other editors.

Here's are some screenshots of the little bit of work I did in the Core editor:

image.thumb.png.05ea82fc7539434c688960f0f6aa1352.png

image.png.2058c48000fa5abf8c1abd03414fed5c.png

please just get Ue4 and all the free shit quixel has. tons of free marketplace assets too.😭😭

actually I'm off work for a few days now because my father in law who i live with got sent home for symptoms of covid... Should I feel guilty because its the busiest time of the year for grocery right now? or should I be excited I'm avoiding it?

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

2 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

actually I'm off work for a few days now because my father in law who i live with got sent home for symptoms of covid... Should I feel guilty because its the busiest time of the year for grocery right now? or should I be excited I'm avoiding it?

depends on how replaceable you feel at work.

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

you should feel urgency to get your fkcin orders in before everyone takes a holiday

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

I think he's thinking of mega textures

Now I sound stupid. Fuck.

I swear, I must have Dyslexia or something.

Edit: Megascans still take up a fuckton of space on my computer. I assume that that's why Modern Warfare has such a fucking massive file size.