8 minutes ago, JB_ said:

Based on Bungie's own map it seems more in line with dead decaying plant matter.

Not always though, it's mostly around the trees, which either means it's damp. dead/decaying or idk...  Some area's have no plants (dead/decayed) and some do have the plants (damp possibly) i dont know which to make of it. maybe ill just adopt both. put the stains only near trees and some elsewhere as a sign they were here once.

8ce60985bd0baa36af96777a7263eeb4.jpg814099bbc5dd2bfa6b6e3826ef81bdf4.pngdf4aac42a4b34a40188095e3f6eeef0c.jpg9807e885040cb33b701e243504d5d674.png4b444003a6a57935cb1143a0ec2b1cc6.jpg22d58506f9bd17371ed9a71e4b645919.jpg43a569a6488309bf3fe8cd680df88c57.jpg

Some area's just look like straight up murder though

7d8de67a0267392c12e73767b2cfe50d.jpg

Sorry for the giant post

I am at work otherwise I would have been posting screenshots like this. Halo 2 has a bunch of good examples of rust stains (quarantine zone). Pretty sweaty that guardian shows the stains in a few different contexts. With the moisture coming out of different creases of the detail. Those are mold stains caused by the foliage and shit. mold-growth-inside-evaporator-coil-india

4 hours ago, Box_Hoes said:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/box-knows/video/118069450

I finally scripted my pyramid room, however I had different intentions originally as to how it would function.

There will be an event occurring every 2.5 minutes on the map (The first event starts a minute after the match) in the pyramid room where the doors will shut and trap players in there and the team or player that survives can teleport to the island to grab the OS. 

30 seconds prior to the event you are given a nav marker that allows you to set up and prepare however you’d like. There is a 5 second countdown to when the doors will shut. After the doors are shut you are trapped for 20 seconds (subject to change to 15 seconds to make timing easier on the game clock). 

As of right now the first 15 seconds are for ensuring that the opponent or opponents are dead and whoever has died gets a jump off respawn to prevent a possible snowball from the guy grabbing the OS. After those 15 seconds the portal will spawn to the island with OS and you have 5 seconds to use it before despawning and the pyramid doors opening back up (the time it takes your shields to recharge to make sure you don’t die immediately after using the portal) 

The island is designed to make the player have to jump and land back on the bottom of the map in a weaker position allowing players who don’t want to attend the event have a huge advantage from a positioning standpoint. Also the island is seen from every sightline on the map making the OS guy get melted which was my goal to weaken OS. The most effective counter being top pink cave. 

There will be a lot of viable strategies such as sending your best player into the event and you staying on the map to hold positioning. Or you both go in praying one of you get it. Nobody going in and allowing them to get OS confident your positioning will outweigh the effects of the OS. And then there’s the funny outcome where everybody dies because soul flame shits out 3 nades when he only has 2 

jeez kid that vine you walked on should be at least 2-3 more vines thick so you can really tell you can walk on it 😁

4 hours ago, Box_Hoes said:

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/box-knows/video/118069450

I finally scripted my pyramid room, however I had different intentions originally as to how it would function.

There will be an event occurring every 2.5 minutes on the map (The first event starts a minute after the match) in the pyramid room where the doors will shut and trap players in there and the team or player that survives can teleport to the island to grab the OS. 

30 seconds prior to the event you are given a nav marker that allows you to set up and prepare however you’d like. There is a 5 second countdown to when the doors will shut. After the doors are shut you are trapped for 20 seconds (subject to change to 15 seconds to make timing easier on the game clock). 

As of right now the first 15 seconds are for ensuring that the opponent or opponents are dead and whoever has died gets a jump off respawn to prevent a possible snowball from the guy grabbing the OS. After those 15 seconds the portal will spawn to the island with OS and you have 5 seconds to use it before despawning and the pyramid doors opening back up (the time it takes your shields to recharge to make sure you don’t die immediately after using the portal) 

The island is designed to make the player have to jump and land back on the bottom of the map in a weaker position allowing players who don’t want to attend the event have a huge advantage from a positioning standpoint. Also the island is seen from every sightline on the map making the OS guy get melted which was my goal to weaken OS. The most effective counter being top pink cave. 

There will be a lot of viable strategies such as sending your best player into the event and you staying on the map to hold positioning. Or you both go in praying one of you get it. Nobody going in and allowing them to get OS confident your positioning will outweigh the effects of the OS. And then there’s the funny outcome where everybody dies because soul flame shits out 3 nades when he only has 2 

You'll never catch me in that pyramid, thats sure death for me 😭 I love the different ways you can strategize around it

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

9 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

You'll never catch me in that pyramid, thats sure death for me 😭 I love the different ways you can strategize around it

You’re the top pink guy and soul flame is the brawler however if you managed to wipe someone right before closing you can jump the guy together and you can grab it 

17 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Here's a more significant description of each gun:

• Revolver: The major thing that needs to be said is that this weapon is always equipped in multiplayer as it has its own dedicated slot. Each player holds a sidearm and can hold up to two other weapons. You swap to it ala Destiny heavy slot. It's the only weapon that functions like the precision weapons found in Halo, as this will be a Halo clone of sorts. Imagine the Halo 3 magnum but has the damage and aiming traits of the CE Magnum within about 20 meters.
  • Uranium Pistol: Like the plasma pistol, but the charged shot is a lobbed glob of radioactive liquid that splashes and pools upon impact. This is fired using an alt-fire input rather than holding the primary-fire input for a set time. Basically it serves the roles of a shield stripper and area of denial through damage. Rather than a battery, this uses a 
  • Shotgun: Unlike other shotguns, this weapon's ammo is sequentially loaded into the barrel, so it fits two separate semi-auto mechanisms into the space of a normal combat shotgun and reloads similarly to that one shotgun reload meme. This allows for two separate loads to be fitted into the shotgun: Incendiary and Breaching Slugs. Basically good at area denial based on the level designer's discretion with clearly communicated flammable props/textures, and the same applies to the breaching slug but for clearly destructible props/textures. Also combos with Radioactive effects present in the sandbox. It's lethality is more based on props and textures as the slugs cannot one-shot and only barely kill quicker than the revolver.
  • Spike Driver: This is the fun one! This construction tool has a massive pike (1m in length) that juts out for a powerful melee with the alt-fire and gets shot out as a one-shot capable projectile with the primary-fire. The main gimmick with this weapon is that the alt-fire creates a massive physics impulse that, when applied to a surface, one can launch themselves away from said surface, almost acting like an initial rocket jump. Using the primary-fire in the air would have a similar but weaker effect on player velocity and potentially act as a high-cost fix to poor in-air movement. This can be used in tandem with a wall hop to greatly increase the player's velocity. One other aspect that may be included is that the projectile would stick to whatever it hits and be able to be jumped on. The main thing would be that this would be single-shot with small reserves, something like 4 spikes total when first picked up.
  • Combat Rifle: With the suggestion above, I recall a video about a rebalance of Halo 3 that the AR was made to have a tighter spread and faster projectile speed than the SMG to better define their roles, and the plasma gun from Quake also comes to mind with the physical push that came with being hit by its projectiles. This accumulated set of concepts make me think that the Combat Rifle should fit a starting weapon with a more defensive role. Tight spread, quick projectile speed, high rate of fire, and some physical push is the idea, so it would be not only general purpose damage, but a smidge of general purpose crowd control. I feel that this weapon would be immediately thrown away as a player picks something else up depending on the map, but I could be completely wrong.
  • Railgun: 2-round burst with a quick charge and about a 3x zoom thermal scope. This originally was gonna function very similarly to what the Spike Driver is now in that it would be able to create pathing with it's projectile, so I had decided to remove it a while back, but I've decided to include it here as a potential Sniper equivalent in the game. The idea is to have a quick charge-time, something like 0.4 seconds, and the magazine would consist of 8 tungsten rods. It would also have a physics impulse on impact like the Spike Driver, but the more rapid fire nature would make it far more effective in a similar role to the shotgun's breaching slugs but with significantly more range. The point of the sandbox is to have a lot of versatility in each weapon without making things samey, and I hope that this doesn't feel too much like a hybrid of those two weapons.

More on the grenades:

• Fragmentation Grenade: There's not much to say here other than that they're just clones of Halo: Reach's frags. No need to change the formula.
  • Concussion Grenade: Only deals damage on direct hits and creates a massive physics impulse on impact. The impulse is powerful enough to launch players around 10 meters away, but that's arbitrary at this point in development. The point is that it's a movement and crowd control utility.
  • Bismuth Bomb: Essentially an impact-detonated smoke grenade that is full of reflective spectral particles that stick to players who pass through it. It also holds utility similar to the CSGO smoke in that it puts out fires, and more utility beyond a standard smoke in that the first aspect applies to players in active camo, effectively acting as a counter.

The equipment, now:

• Adhesive Charge: Proximity detonated explosive that primarily blasts a sticky adhesive onto the surrounding geometry and players, adding resistance to physics impulses and movement inputs to anyone in contact with the substance. Deals insubstantial damage. This could be pretty overpowered if the effect lasts too long, so testing will reveal all!
  • Portable Return Locator: A dropped return node of which the player teleports back to after a short amount of time, like about 8 or so seconds. It's like a get out of jail free card that greatly encourages a player to make extremely risky and aggressive boom-or-bust plays and almost act as their own backup after teleporting. Because the node is dropped and intended to pass through potentially lethal obstacles, it should allow players to break certain stalemates and even bypass certain timed events/item access specific to certain maps.
  • Grapple Hook: Ideally this would be just like the Titanfall 2 grapple hook but single use. It's extremely powerful, can greatly increase vertical and horizontal mobility, and allowing it to function like either an armor ability or have multiple charges would be game breaking in my opinion. I feel that this is fairly self explanatory.
  • There was a bridge maker or whatever in the original post, but I only put it there because I thought it was funny ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So the combat rifle sort of sounds like the machine gun from quake where it is pretty much useless other than a little chip damage. So it seems that it's best use based on your description would be to use your revolver to hit a couple shots and then spray with that to clean up. It is like the opposite relation you get in apex when you run r-99(sub machine gun) with mastiff(shotgun). Where you would hose people down with the r99 to crack their shield then switch to mastiff because you have to reload to clean them up the rest of the way. Might be cool to look at it's value as a weak damage gun that has quick draw allowing it have value as a clean up gun. Basically getting rewarded for using a gun with more skill like the revolver then switching to an easier to use gun as a reward. Which is the apex relationship as the r-99 has a fairly high skill ceiling if you learn how to use it at ranges where the mastiff is easy as fuck to use.

32 minutes ago, Westin said:

On second thought - I had fun

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/xxandrith/video/117761278

For a good 20 seconds or so there I thought you were waiting for OS to come up on one of yours or Multi's maps, but then I realized you were just causing yourself to lose not win 😂

40 minutes ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

For a good 20 seconds or so there I thought you were waiting for OS to come up on one of yours or Multi's maps, but then I realized you were just causing yourself to lose not win 😂

Nate please stop. It's actually not healthy for you.

EDIT: Also doing that allowed us to take the lead?

25 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Nate please stop. It's actually not healthy for you.

EDIT: Also doing that allowed us to take the lead?

It allowed box to grab sniper uncontested and then go on 7+ kill streak using the sniper to suppress and control your movement. A small gain doesn't always equal a overall net gain. 

1 minute ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

It allowed box to grab sniper uncontested and then go on 7+ kill streak using the sniper to suppress and control your movement. A small gain doesn't always equal a overall net gain. 

I mean not really, we just tried to be aggressive and split up and got punished, that's all there really was to it. Whenever we decided to stop moving we would take the lead.

Just now, purely fat said:

So the combat rifle sort of sounds like the machine gun from quake where it is pretty much useless other than a little chip damage. So it seems that it's best use based on your description would be to use your revolver to hit a couple shots and then spray with that to clean up. It is like the opposite relation you get in apex when you run r-99(sub machine gun) with mastiff(shotgun). Where you would hose people down with the r99 to crack their shield then switch to mastiff because you have to reload to clean them up the rest of the way. Might be cool to look at it's value as a weak damage gun that has quick draw allowing it have value as a clean up gun. Basically getting rewarded for using a gun with more skill like the revolver then switching to an easier to use gun as a reward. Which is the apex relationship as the r-99 has a fairly high skill ceiling if you learn how to use it at ranges where the mastiff is easy as fuck to use.

My only problem with this idea is that it implies that the CR is supposed to be a clean up weapon and that the Revolver would be a utility. My idea is for the CR to be a sort of generalist weapon that can engage at all ranges to some level of usefulness. It's TTK is 1 second with no need for critical hits so it's not like it's peppering people or anything. Thankfully everything else has an optimal TTK at or below 0.6 seconds, including the Revolver, so it's not like the CR is gonna demolish all other weapons, especially considering that aim flinch will absolutely not be in the game. Now, this makes the Revolver sound like the general purpose weapon, especially with the 20 meters red reticle range that I implied with the post that you're replying to, so that should be changed to only about 15 meters to emphasize it's back-up nature. It also doesn't help that I also said that this would be a "Halo clone of sorts" in that same post. Yes, it has an 8-round cylinder so that you can one-mag a team with it, but that's only because of the 2v2 player count of the game. The problem with trying to use it beyond close range is that it cannot zoom: it's got the boom of the CE Magnum with almost all the downsides of 3's Magnum. I'm sure that those with amazing aim can make it work extremely well, but all other weapons either offer something it doesn't have or simply kills faster. This is why the Combat Rifle is designed the way it is in the past 30 hours I did so in: allow the player to do what they need to do relative to the map. It's no doubt that the Revolver is a great clean up tool for the Combat Rifle, but I prefer to think of it as the Jack of All Trades to get a footing in the door with. Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling, I just don't want to read over this message lol

12 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I mean not really, we just tried to be aggressive and split up and got punished, that's all there really was to it. Whenever we decided to stop moving we would take the lead.

Fair enough. If you guys would be willing to play it again versus box and soul I'd really like you to have the patience to stick to whatever playstyle will allow you to win, even if that means sitting and being bored.. I'm willing to accept whatever that may be.

Also, that spot where y'all were sitting and hiding wasn't actually supposed to be a nade check or that hidden. I've still been fine tuning the courtyard interaction and unfortunately that nasty little blind spot wasn't intentional, it was an oversight on my part and I have no shame in admitting that. Do I think that is a viable straight?

No, but it definitely can and did affect the pace and the number of blind spots(nade checks) I want is something I'm till fine tuning. I've done alot to eliminate unintentional ones but that one slipped by as a byproduct of me testing something else. 

14 hours ago, Kantalope said:

My only problem with this idea is that it implies that the CR is supposed to be a clean up weapon and that the Revolver would be a utility. My idea is for the CR to be a sort of generalist weapon that can engage at all ranges to some level of usefulness. It's TTK is 1 second with no need for critical hits so it's not like it's peppering people or anything. Thankfully everything else has an optimal TTK at or below 0.6 seconds, including the Revolver, so it's not like the CR is gonna demolish all other weapons, especially considering that aim flinch will absolutely not be in the game. Now, this makes the Revolver sound like the general purpose weapon, especially with the 20 meters red reticle range that I implied with the post that you're replying to, so that should be changed to only about 15 meters to emphasize it's back-up nature. It also doesn't help that I also said that this would be a "Halo clone of sorts" in that same post. Yes, it has an 8-round cylinder so that you can one-mag a team with it, but that's only because of the 2v2 player count of the game. The problem with trying to use it beyond close range is that it cannot zoom: it's got the boom of the CE Magnum with almost all the downsides of 3's Magnum. I'm sure that those with amazing aim can make it work extremely well, but all other weapons either offer something it doesn't have or simply kills faster. This is why the Combat Rifle is designed the way it is in the past 30 hours I did so in: allow the player to do what they need to do relative to the map. It's no doubt that the Revolver is a great clean up tool for the Combat Rifle, but I prefer to think of it as the Jack of All Trades to get a footing in the door with. Sorry if this seems like I'm rambling, I just don't want to read over this message lol

My thinking with my statement is based around the typical strat in shooters of using burst damage followed up with whatever gun you have in your pocket. In my experience good players tend to gravitate towards weapons with highest burst potential and if the drawbacks of that weapon don't outway the pros of the gun you want to fill a utility then you'll run into trouble. So just make sure you spend a good amount of time on that as you seem to be aware of this.

A lack of zoom isn't going to stop anybody from being able to range people with it. If there is value in using the gun people will learn how to use it at all ranges. Which is why I brought up the r-99 in apex because it technically isn't a ranged weapon but people have gotten so good with it that they start ranging people with it. Also, one of the most important skills in Halo once you get into high level games is being able to take longer ranged fights descoped because you are constantly being descoped. People really underestimate how good pro's are at white reticule. So just keep this in mind. I think you will be fine. I was more or less assessing how I would use the gun based on your weapon list. If I use it at all. I might use it for chip damage but that is dependent on everything else in your game including maps.

working on my mind map again for design (don't @ me if you want to dispute whether objective truths exist or not, we're not going there) 

Proposition 1: If a outcome is not universally positive it is not a objectively true

Example: What is considered 'good pacing' is a universally desirable outcome to various categories including Writing, Gameplay, Film, etc, therefore it is an objective truth

What is good pacing? Start with the observable fact that in life there is fluctuation across all phenomena; speed, mood, wealth, health, etc. Now, Observe how existing within the highs and lows of the aforementioned phenomena (poor health/ High health - Low economy/ High economy) Achieves the most positive growth.

Example: Being able to appreciate the highs when they are earned or otherwise gifted, because of having experienced the lows. While stagnation on the other hand restricts growth and disengages the observer, causing them to become dormant

So the goal is to provide highs and lows to the experiences. The delta may differ from experience to experience, they may be short lived, but they may not be stagnant!

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png