34 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

Regardless of language, would you print a book in Braille for sighted people?

I'm not blind, but I am an avid Braille reader. I learned Braille years ago while working as a transcriber at the National Braille Press, and I've been reading it with pleasure—physical pleasure—ever since. I love reading with my fingers. I like the idea of touching the words. I know that's just a romantic notion—I mean, Braille readers aren't more "in touch" with the words than print readers—but I like it nonetheless.

https://www.nfb.org/sites/www.nfb.org/files/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr36/3/fr360303.htm

18 minutes ago, Box_Hoes said:

What if there was a secondary objective in slayer where the game tracks your damage dealt and rewards you in different tiers. Not a kill streak a damage streak. This rewards players actively seeking prolonged  engagement and staying alive. Players who hide/camp and bait their teammates would not benefit from this system. We’ve all been in situations where you are fighting off multiple opponents at once using the map to the best of your capabilities and not getting any reward, so this would reward individualism. It would be used as a tool to help fulfill the primary objective of slayer which is to dominate the enemy team 

There is MULTIPLE ways I could imagine this being implemented, here is one example to spark discussion. What are your guys thoughts on the core idea and what are some ways you guys would implement it? (THIS IS ONLY TO SPARK DISCUSSION)

Damage TIER 1 - reward (player trait?)

Damage TIER 2 - reward (player trait?)

Damage TIER 3 - reward (player trait?)

Damage TIER 4 - reward (player trait?) 

Maybe each tier could tie into the DPAD and you could hold down whichever button necessary when acquired (maybe it would light up and the others remain shaded)

When you die your damage resets all the way to 0 unless you accumulate enough damage to hit one of the tiers. THEN when you respawn you have it available to use but can only start stacking damage once you activate it. 

In this example I’m going to give a scenario where I reach damage TIER 1 and am still alive on the map. I can not progress to damage TIER 2 unless I use damage TIER 1 and so on through out the match. Keep in mind you die with your reward if not activated at whichever tier you acquired. 

I want to clarify that this is just ONE of the many ideas I’ve had of how it could be possibly implemented. A lot can be subject to change and I want to hear your guys thoughts/opinions. 

Having the game type able to track damage and recognizing players actively influencing the match and rewarding them is something I believe can be a beneficial secondary objective (tool) to fulfill the primary objective of slayer Dominate the enemy team 

Some things I forgot to mention 

-In the example your reward as a player trait would be for limited time 

-I don’t know how the golden triangle relates to damage output (a nade/melee/ pistol shot) so that’s something that needs to figured out 

A cool direction - but I think better solved by game design rather than a system layered over top. More potent individual capabilities, higher ceiling etc. 

With something like this I foresee players actually going for the buff, much like how players in Cod camp because they eventually get an AC-130 out of it. Assuming the rewards are powerful, this same thing could happen, I'll admit to a lesser degree than cod because I doubt you would design the rewards to be that insane, but I digress. If they're worth going for, people will go for them, and if they aren't worth it, the next question is whether or not they even impact the game. Kinda hard to go beyond this because there wasn't any proposed reward design

Ordnance Ready.mp3

I like the idea, if this mechanic was cohesively woven within the theme nicely and not tacked on like the halo 4 kill streaks or something i think it could be cool

Kind of reminds me of the Apex evo shields, more damage you rack up more shield defense you get, which works good for BR

Maybe for halo it would be a feature exclusive to a weapon, and the more damage you do, the more ammunition you have so you can apply pressure more without reloading, or take on 2 enemies at once without having to reload

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

47 minutes ago, Box_Hoes said:

What if there was a secondary objective in slayer where the game tracks your damage dealt and rewards you in different tiers. Not a kill streak a damage streak. This rewards players actively seeking prolonged  engagement and staying alive. Players who hide/camp and bait their teammates would not benefit from this system. We’ve all been in situations where you are fighting off multiple opponents at once using the map to the best of your capabilities and not getting any reward, so this would reward individualism. It would be used as a tool to help fulfill the primary objective of slayer which is to dominate the enemy team 

There is MULTIPLE ways I could imagine this being implemented, here is one example to spark discussion. What are your guys thoughts on the core idea and what are some ways you guys would implement it? (THIS IS ONLY TO SPARK DISCUSSION)

Maybe each tier could tie into the DPAD and you could hold down whichever button necessary when acquired (maybe it would light up and the others remain shaded)

When you die your damage resets all the way to 0 unless you accumulate enough damage to hit one of the tiers. THEN when you respawn you have it available to use but can only start stacking damage once you activate it. 

In this example I’m going to give a scenario where I reach damage TIER 1 and am still alive on the map. I can not progress to damage TIER 2 unless I use damage TIER 1 and so on through out the match. Keep in mind you die with your reward if not activated at whichever tier you acquired. 

I want to clarify that this is just ONE of the many ideas I’ve had of how it could be possibly implemented. A lot can be subject to change and I want to hear your guys thoughts/opinions. 

Having the game type able to track damage and recognizing players actively influencing the match and rewarding them is something I believe can be a beneficial secondary objective (tool) to fulfill the primary objective of slayer Dominate the enemy team 

-I don’t know how the golden triangle relates to damage output (a nade/melee/ pistol shot) so that’s something that needs to figured out 

I honestly would prefer this to only apply to a visual effect around the weapons you hold. Have it be very visible (in a game where players are already very visible as to not disrupt gameplay) and have the effect remain for the rest of the match once you reach each tier. It still feels weird to reward just straight up damage, but I definitely see the appeal. I just much rather have the mechanics reward players for moving rather than for camping through sandbox and level design instead, similar or, like, exactly what Westin said? I honestly don't remember completely even though it's right above this post ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Has anyone played Prodeus at all? All I've heard is that it's like a mix of OG Doom and some more 'modern' game mechanics. It looks damn fun, and the mod tools also look pretty intuitive, not to mention the official mapping contest that started less than a month ago on Mapcore. I'd like to jump in and start mapping some singleplayer stuff in there if it's actually fun to play.

my magic 8 ball tells me infinite is going to be ass competitively, but this is the extreme. 

DAmn and actually if u watch longer you can tell how this could actually ruin some potentially cool moments. if they want us to see something a certain way, this grapple hook removes all that creative control. I mean in a campaign sense. No longer can you control where you want players to come at an engagement. Unless of course you use invisible barriers to block them, but then it's not open world anymore... This dude just blew over the invis elite which has a HUGE moment in my childhood , walking up that slope and around that corner.

Edited by JB_

To reply to Box, I would only have three tiers, have it where you reset to zero on death, and the reward is only activated through use of the utility weapon. Said utility would also be the focal point of the rewards; First tier would be a larger magazine, second tier would be faster reload, third tier would be bottomless clip (though you still have to replenish ammo). I think three kills (300 damage), six kills (600 damage), and nine kills (900 damage) would be incentive enough for people to try using their utility more. Least intrusive thing I could think of for Halo, and could possibly be a change put for the rest of the standard modes.

One man’s ‘reward individualism’ is another man’s ‘discourage team coordination’.

I think the idea of score being more than kills is interesting, but I’d be really concerned with snowballing with that reward system.

On the topic of introducing mechanics, I was thinking it’d be cool to have a shooter where the pickups on map are currency used to purchase ammo for weapons/uses of abilities/layers of armor. Players would start with all items, but need to move in order to utilize them. Using the currency would be something along the lines of a weapon wheel, so game flow isn’t hindered. There would also be a relatively weak starting weapon with infinite ammo.

Edited by Xzamplez

1 hour ago, Xzamplez said:

One man’s ‘reward individualism’ is another man’s ‘discourage team coordination’.

I think the idea of score being more than kills is interesting, but I’d be really concerned with snowballing with that reward system.

On the topic of introducing mechanics, I was thinking it’d be cool to have a shooter where the pickups on map are currency used to purchase ammo for weapons/uses of abilities/layers of armor. Players would start with all items, but need to move in order to utilize them. Using the currency would be something along the lines of a weapon wheel, so game flow isn’t hindered. There would also be a relatively weak starting weapon with infinite ammo.

Working with your teammates will always be a sizeable advantage in a shooter, so we might as well make sure a single player can capitalize on extended periods of good play, which is the goal of Box's entire system, a goal more efficiently and simply met with a better designed sandbox.

13 hours ago, Box_Hoes said:

So like my button combo idea where you build meter by doing damage but if you are not doing damage your meter goes down. So by doing damage you unlock different button combos that function like power weapons. the power weapon damage doesn't go towards meter though, it drains it. You can have more basic combo's that go towards meter like double shotting though. I always felt like this would be interesting in slayer/dm. More so than the typical bonus you get from fps games nowadays because rather than a direct buff the player is given a potential buff based on their skill level within the game.

14 hours ago, Xzamplez said:

There is no universe where team-shotting isn't beneficial, you could never kill teamwork no matter how hard you tried.  Any focus that you place on it, will however, take away from individualism.. or, accountability for a better word.

14 hours ago, Westin said:

Working with your teammates will always be a sizeable advantage in a shooter, so we might as well make sure a single player can capitalize on extended periods of good play, which is the goal of Box's entire system, a goal more efficiently and simply met with a better designed sandbox.

Couldn't the idea still be implemented as a "slayer" gametype  within a game that has a perfectly designed sandbox? 

I view it more as an additional gamemode versus a replacement for slayer.  I believe the reward for doing damage versus just being rewarded for closing a kill could have some very interesting psychological effects on player patterns. It's be interesting to see in action for sure,  wish there was a way to test this in H5. 

1 hour ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

Couldn't the idea still be implemented as a "slayer" gametype  within a game that has a perfectly designed sandbox? 

I view it more as an additional gamemode versus a replacement for slayer.  I believe the reward for doing damage versus just being rewarded for closing a kill could have some very interesting psychological effects on player patterns. It's be interesting to see in action for sure,  wish there was a way to test this in H5. 

You probably could have it scripted with player trait volumes? At least the modifiers that soul mentioned about, bottomless clip, fast reload, etc. could be tied to player attributes through a volume.  It's the same tech that the key runs on, it just tags 1 player with additional attributes.

7 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

There is no universe where team-shotting isn't beneficial, you could never kill teamwork no matter how hard you tried.  Any focus that you place on it, will however, take away from individualism.. or, accountability for a better word.

I've always thought that as average individual lethality increases, the importance of  team shotting decreases. 

Compare Halo 3 to COD4.  In Halo 3 team shotting is a highly valuable skill, and the best players are highly skilled at target prioritization and positioning that supplements a good team shot. In COD4 team shotting is less impactful, and can even be a negative in many situations as two players shooting one can mean a loss or waste of resources/influence.  It's often more Important for the other teamate to check los/ take invidual fights and or occupy other portions of the map that are out of LOS of the would be team shot.

This is also sometimes true in Halo 3, but to a lesser degree and there is also situations in COD4 where team-shotting is viable but again, to a lesser degree. 

So I don't think it's necessarily about "killing teamwork" because I agree you can't "kill teamwork" but you can absolutely kill certain TYPES of teamwork by invidual empowerment and it's something that shouldn't be ignored. All teamwork isn't created equal and it's important to be mindful of the type of teamplay that is encouraged/ discouraged by individual empowerment.