I think, @no god anywhere and @a Chunk, you both already have the basic concept with the NLD fused together. At that moment of the design phase, I wouldn't try to think too complicated and make yourself crazy. Basically, in most cases it's best to keep it simple and minimalistic.

I've gone through this kind of logo/brand designing a lot due to my study path. What I think you have to do now is find the right font to do the fusion with and the right font for the written-out "company name". Everything else presents itself.

Something such as simple as the following could be the solutions for a T-Shirt:

NLD

Next Level Design

Or, if you want to put more emphasis on the connection of the coloured L and Level and make it more obvious to people:

NLD

Next Level Design

Things like un-/capitalization could be played with:

NLD

next level design

NLD

nextleveldesign

Or:

NLD

NextLevelDesign

NLD

NextLevelDesign

Although these examples being just slightly different, every single one of them has got a different effect on you. Changes in a brand/logo design should always be minimal once you have the basic concept at hand.

Frankly, fusing the capital letters of a long word is not a perfect solution. However, in this case, I think it's one of the better solutions, as there's not really a way to literally connect the name with the logo (something as great and unique as Apple is not possible for every kind of company name), unfortunately.

I think, you get what I'm saying by that. A sketch of a person thinking about the next design is not really doable and scalable for example. That is why the emphasis on the beginning letters and especially the accentuation of the L could be enough to make a recognizable logo. It's simply a matter of how well it is done. I wouldn't be a fan of objectifying the word nextleveldesign into a logo such as the anvil, which does not properly represent and translate the "company name".

Talking about the accentuation, one of the most important things we have to determine: Colour. In both of your examples you used orange as accentuation. To me, this is a very good choice, as this website's theme primarily is about creativity and sozialising (forum with like-minded people). Those are the exact themes orange stands for. It's a strong colour.

If I had to pick a colour code, I would choose something between dark orange (255,140,0) and orange red (255,69,0), as dark orange is a little bit too light and orange red a little bit too much favoured towards red. I would go for something like (255,120,0).

However, if we don't choose orange as base colour, then I would go for a slightly darker blue, e.g. (0,55,110). Blue is a creative colour, too. Additionally, it is understood as serious and trustworthy. Not as good as orange, but it could still work.

I would do some stuff, too, if I was currently subscribed to Adobe. It's not worth it at the moment. Nonetheless, I still wanted to give you my observation hoping this process goes forward in an organized and serial manner.

Edited by Buddy Jumps
a > are

I just think that we can do better than the cliche anvil hammer thing, like, its kinda cool because the site has roots in the forge community, but if this is a site for next level designs and next level designers, we better come up with something worthy of its name

TiavQEl.jpg

Some clarification on what I'm looking for when it comes to graphics, because I realized afterward that what I had written was not as clear as it should have been.  We already have a Site Header that will sit where marked in red in this image:

image.png.986814689c1076ab6bf4aff2d73bf996.png

I've just been wanting to refine the precise positioning and scaling before installing it.

What I'm still wanting more ideas on is a Logo which could be used in a variety of places - one of those being the Article Header Images.

Currently, we've been adding a full-width banner to our article headers:

image.png.08f5a9079e77d37b780e7e8ae4f2707a.png

I'm still open to other options though, one of them being a much smaller logo which would sit in one of the corners (and so obscure less of the image):

blocktober.jpg.31ab5ee045d8248938c9094b59e268ba.jpg

I expect it would be bigger than the Twitter Logo shown here - it's just an example.

A smaller logo also works better with Mobile interfaces, which have become increasingly prevalent.  Not to mention Twitter, which brings us the vast majority of our traffic.  Having a small and easily identifiable logo to overlay over images for Twitter would be a plus.  I like the anvil and hammer. I'm just not sold on it as uniquely identifiable as 'Next Level Design' (unless some text is tied into it). I would love to find a way to make it so, but I'm not tied to that as a requirement, so I won't say that a logo needs to be built around this.  I'm totally open to: just the 'NLD' letters, the full 'Next Level Design', or something completely different - so long as it's distinct.  

To be honest, this logo should be closely related to our site header.  However, I don't want to hinder the ideation process by saying this is a requirement either. I prefer to let imaginations work freely, and then see what can be taken from those ideas and made to align with the direction that we're already headed.  Examples like those from no god and buddy can help generate yet more ideas.

And then we have the shirt ideas, which can be numerous, and completely unique.

4 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Just realized next is 4 letters, level is 5, and design is 6. There's probably some cascading effect that can be made of those with the text

Thats why i went with the pyramid. And the top of the pyramid would be for the logo.

1 hour ago, Xzamplez said:

Thats why i went with the pyramid. And the top of the pyramid would be for the logo.

30 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Ok thats actually cool

I can dig that stuff for branding but something about it doesn't translate well to clothing.  Case in point, new Kanye merch

w5ru9mvksbw31.png

Looks badass. I'd rock it. But it's just simple text laid out in a diamond, would probably look like garbage as web graphic. But good looking clothing usually is cool because of how odd it is. 

@a Chunk

So the full width banner you already have which includes the hammer and anvil is what youre intending on using, but you just want something smaller to use as a watermark over article thumbnails, site images, etc?

I believe if thats the case then theres not much room for any more creativity.  You already have a logo and a name banner that can only be rearranged. Otherwise you lose uniformity.

Please upload some vectors of what you already have along with a means of acquiring the font youre using. By the way, is the hammer and anvil an original creation? Do you plan on using the Fline theme permanently?

Seems to me youre kinda stuck with something like this:

Hw5B0AT.png

Edited by no god anywhere

Nilid?? What's that?

I'm caricaturing here, however it's always best to expect the worst from a first viewer's perspective. Remove the bars, exchange the darker grey from the L with the orange and therefore increase readability. Ambiguity can actually be a good theme for a logo, but this is not the case here.

I don't get why you're holding on to the anvil and hammer, do I have to be more clear or what's the matter? This website is not intended for Halo Forgers only, but for the entirety of level designers/designers out there. This forge symbol does not represent level design in the slightest (there could be made a farfetched metaphor connecting it with parts of the design process, OK).

As long as you want to connect that symbol with this website it is never going to really break out of the Forge box. That's my point of view.

I made that logo and did the hammer and anvil because it's a sick shape and it represents design well regardless of what editor you're coming from. And guess what - we're all forgers. 

12 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I made that logo and did the hammer and anvil because it's a sick shape and it represents design well regardless of what editor you're coming from. And guess what - we're all forgers. 

Nope, nothing to do with breaking out of forge or anything silly like that, it just looks bad, and its cliche, and inferior. Come up with a better logo

TiavQEl.jpg

6 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

@a Chunk

So the full width banner you already have which includes the hammer and anvil is what youre intending on using, but you just want something smaller to use as a watermark over article thumbnails, site images, etc?

I believe if thats the case then theres not much room for any more creativity.  You already have a logo and a name banner that can only be rearranged. Otherwise you lose uniformity.

Please upload some vectors of what you already have along with a means of acquiring the font youre using. By the way, is the hammer and anvil an original creation? Do you plan on using the Fline theme permanently?

Seems to me youre kinda stuck with something like this:

Hw5B0AT.png

I don't have the vectors.  I believe the font is Gotham, if I remember correctly.  Nothing is permanent, but I plan on using this theme unless/until something better comes along, which could be in a month or a decade.

Don't restrict yourself to the hammer/anvil. If you have something better then I want to see it. For the moment, the only thing I'll say will be a requirement for a logo is to match the colors and font of the header. But even then, you don't need to use the same colors for the same letters.

1 hour ago, Buddy Jumps said:

Nilid?? What's that?

I'm caricaturing here, however it's always best to expect the worst from a first viewer's perspective. Remove the bars, exchange the darker grey from the L with the orange and therefore increase readability. Ambiguity can actually be a good theme for a logo, but this is not the case here.

I don't get why you're holding on to the anvil and hammer, do I have to be more clear or what's the matter? This website is not intended for Halo Forgers only, but for the entirety of level designers/designers out there. This forge symbol does not represent level design in the slightest (there could be made a farfetched metaphor connecting it with parts of the design process, OK).

As long as you want to connect that symbol with this website it is never going to really break out of the Forge box. That's my point of view.

Thanks for the feedback.  Internally, there has been discussion on the Hammer & Anvil already. I'll say that personally I like it, and that I'm not 100% attached to it.  If anyone has other suggestions, please share them.  This is the entire reason why I'm trying to be transparent about this - I want your (everyone who's active in this thread) honest feedback, but more importantly your ideas.  For anyone who doesn't like what they see, show us something you like and it will be given consideration.

I can never tell when people are honestly upset, versus hyperbolizing.  It should be a pretty simple thing to stay level headed about though.  It's words/letters/symbols - nothing to get too worked up about.  I appreciate the passion and interest from all of you though.  😉

46 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Nope, nothing to do with breaking out of forge or anything silly like that, it just looks bad, and its cliche, and inferior. Come up with a better logo

I don't know if it's cliche but otherwise, that's all fair.

I like the hammer and anvil, I think it represents design in a cool way and also shows the heritage of the forum. It's also a real recognizable idea and not just some abstract vector shape. But if there's something better out there then I'm all for it, I don't care. 

The whole wE haVe tO dIsTaNcE ouTSelvEs fROM fOrGe mentality is a little silly imo. But if anyone has cool symbol ideas lemme hear em. I think even a more simplified hammer and anvil will go a long way. 

On the note of shirt designs again - I think it's important to stress not looking like you're blatantly wearing a video game shirt. I don't have a picture in it but I own this shirt after my Activision time 

81Tw3caoXfL._UX385_.jpg

And it's pretty sick. Obviously the material and fit of the clothing is going to be just as important so it looks nice wearing it but I wear that shit a lot because it looks like a normal shirt. No one sees that and thinks "Call of Duty and Blizzard".  Another pic of some Treyarch clothes from a few years ago

IMG_20170811_115854.thumb.jpg.e9a733f5362cb3a1907b170db9edbd63.jpg

So the sweater I'm wearing is obv a little more hands on in "THIS IS A VIDEO GAME SHIRT" as there's a massive black ops 3 logo on the back but that kinda goes with being a dev sweater. But I still can dig it. The guy on the left is Adam Hoggat (Nuketown guy) and I have that shirt too and honestly its swag af. Just a typical sick baseball t with cool lettering. That's the direction we should probably go in. 

I just want the nld logo to be worthy of its name, i understand the anvil is cool because we have roots in the forge community but i just think we can do a lot better. My vote is for xzamples pyramid, with the top 3 segments of the pyramid forming some kind of trinity, and then the 4th step being next(4) the 5th being level, etc.

Somthing like this:

1729364968_NLDLogo.png.986af50df3c04a011b35658eeadc1b4a.png

As for lettering on clothing I  think the examples i provided earlier are the best lettering format anyone has come up with yet. Not too overdone, good color palette,  good symmetry 

2106152327_NextLevelDesignLogo.png.013798b34e25d5f7550cca73bfa42a06.png

And multi i don't want a logo either on my merch, just lettering, but there will be a variety of styles i'm sure so we can all have what we want as far as that goes. Right now we just need to agree on a unified logo/ format/ color palette etc 

TiavQEl.jpg