The fixation with clothing, while understandable, is currently unwarranted.

I like the hammer and anvil and what it means to creation but it's just underwhelming. Same with the pyramid.

I think it would help if people commented concepts that relate to level design that could translate into imagery and go from there. Top downs of a level for example or whatever else you'd SEE during the level design process.

lets weight the Positives

Anvil and hammer

- symbolizes building/ design

- symbolizes forge roots

- simple

Pyramid (credit to xzamples for this)

- symbolizes hierarchy of life

- symbolizes building/ Design

- Cascading effect, nld(3) Next(4) Level(5) Design(6)

- the number 3 at the top symbolizes the trinity relationship (order, chaos, love) which are the fundamentals of life

- each step up the pyramid is a '"next level" 

- The ' Y ' cross that divides the "NLD" symbolizes 3d vectors  for 3d space

- pyramids represent the pinnacle of primitive human architecture

1598189863_NLDLogo.png.8a73fe8e79bde6942eebf40abae4d1af.png

Its just waaaay more profound in every way, how can you call yourself a designer if you choose that inferior anvil  instead

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

TiavQEl.jpg

11 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Someone take soldats emoji privileges away this guy doesn't know how to act

the only one whos emoji privileges need to be taken away is icyhot for all those annoying "HmMmMmMm" emojis, that is so annoying dude seeing that all the time on everyones posts

TiavQEl.jpg

4 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I made that logo and did the hammer and anvil because it's a sick shape and it represents design well regardless of what editor you're coming from. And guess what - we're all forgers. 

I've got nothing against the shape of the symbol itself, it's just like all the others when you type in "forge symbol" in Google. I'm against the idea behind it and don't agree with it representing level design.

Let me try to continue your train of thought really quickly: You think just because the traditional forge symbol stands for a "process of artistic creation" it connects to level design as a whole? Then you must be ok with it, if we put a tailor symbol instead of it, right? Or a mason symbol? Painter? We've got a lot of symbols representing the process of creation and none of them really hit the topic level design from an objective and unknowledgeable (regarding Forge) standpoint.

I'm trying to approach this topic as an outsider, that's usually the best way to get to the best outcome.

Back to the logo. Let me list the possibilities:

• The logo is a play on the font and name itself - e.g. one idea being the merging of the three beginning letters of each word
  • The logo symbolizes something, which is part of the company/processes/actions
    • In this case it could be a blockout type of vector art, which shows a part of the preliminary design phase (Top down view of the level comes to mind)
    • It could be a creative looking symbol containing a lot of colours representing the art portion of level design (You could go really crazy here and make something unique)
    • ... Do you have any more ideas?
  • The logo symbolizes the name of the company itself
    • Apple > Logo is an apple
    • Not really possible in our case
Edited by Buddy Jumps
part..... > part of.....

6 minutes ago, Buddy Jumps said:

I've got nothing against the shape of the symbol itself, it's just like all the others when you type in "forge symbol" in Google. I'm against the idea behind it and don't agree with it representing level design.

Let me try to continue your train of thought really quickly: You think just because the traditional forge symbol stands for a "process of artistic creation" it connects to level design as a whole? Then you must be ok with it, if we put a tailor symbol instead of it, right? Or a mason symbol? Painter? We've got a lot of symbols representing the process of creation and none of them really hit the topic level design from an objective and unknowledgeable (regarding Forge) standpoint.

I'm trying to approach this topic as an outsider, that's usually the best way to get to the best outcome.

Back to the logo. Let me list the possibilities:

• The logo is a play on the font and name itself - e.g. one idea being the merging of the three beginning letters of each word
  • The logo symbolizes something, which is part of the company/processes/actions
    • In this case it could be a blockout type of vector art, which shows a part of the preliminary design phase (Top down view of the level comes to mind)
    • It could be a creative looking symbol containing a lot of colours representing the art portion of level design (You could go really crazy here and make something unique)
    • ... Do you have any more ideas?
  • The logo symbolizes the name of the company itself
    • Apple > Logo is an apple
    • Not really possible in our case

I just picture the hammer striking the anvil akin to the refinement process of building a map. It's just simple raw creation in the same way someone would craft a weapon. I thought it was a nice reference to forge without being on the nose since the forge monitor is typically the accompanied imagery beside Forge and not the anvil. I thought it was a recognizable shape. And I thought it looked cool. That was it, there wasn't a ton of time or thought put into it so I'm not particularly attached nor do I feel the need the defend it. I'm just thinking out loud here. 

My initial idea for the banner was showing something take shape through additional dimensions, as in a line becoming a square, and then a square becoming a cube. Or something along those lines. 

23 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

I just picture the hammer striking the anvil akin to the refinement process of building a map. It's just simple raw creation in the same way someone would craft a weapon. I thought it was a nice reference to forge without being on the nose since the forge monitor is typically the accompanied imagery beside Forge and not the anvil. I thought it was a recognizable shape. And I thought it looked cool. That was it, there wasn't a ton of time or thought put into it so I'm not particularly attached nor do I feel the need the defend it. I'm just thinking out loud here. 

My initial idea for the banner was showing something take shape through additional dimensions, as in a line becoming a square, and then a square becoming a cube. Or something along those lines. 

I respect your stance and understand it better now, and I agree with it looking really cool. It has something archaic and simple about it, yet I still can't agree with it being used for as a logo for this website because of the reasons noted above.

Whereas, your second paragraph immediately initiated a lot of thought processes in my mind. Thank you for sharing that idea, I think, it's something we could really build on.

After reading your idea, funnily, I thought of this, which thematically is almost the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMoHIllZOc

Just brainstorming here:

1. a line
  2. a 2D-square
  3. a 3D-square
  4. Maybe a polygonal shape with differnt colours in each pologon?

What do the others think of Multi's idea?

I think, evolution and iteration are two terms we could focus on, any thoughts?

Edited by Buddy Jumps
Wanted to add some extra suggestions

Soldat your pyramid logo should just be the top triangle with next level design on one line under it with no outline. Less is more. Logos have to be tight and concise to make their use as practical possible.  Logos typically separate the symbol from the name for contrast and readability.

Maybe play with the idea of impossible shapes through shading for letters or whatever.

I think Multi's initial idea is good. Showing some sort of evolution.

So, I work in a business where I deal with all sorts of logo's, and typically you have the one line variant plus some sort of shape based variant. The one line has the shape at the beginning while the other is just the shape with the title of the business under it.

12 minutes ago, Buddy Jumps said:

I respect your stance and understand it better now, and I agree with it looking really cool. It has something archaic and simple about it, yet I still can't agree with it being used for as a logo for this website because of the reasons noted above.

Whereas, your second paragraph immediately initiated a lot of thought processes in my mind. Thank you for sharing that idea, I think, it's something we could really build on.

After reading your idea, funnily, I thought of this, which thematically is almost the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMoHIllZOc

Just brainstorming here:

1. a line
  2. a 2D-square
  3. a 3D-square
  4. Maybe a polygonal shape with differnt colours in each pologon?

What do the others think of Multi's idea?

I think, evolution and iteration are two terms we could focus on, any thoughts?

1.  a line

2.  2 lines

3.  3 lines

Represents 3d vectors, which makes up a polygon

poly.png.c9995b65437271c94bc21a6632265f85.png

4. NLD- site name and ambition

1753804881_polynld.png.b9191acc5116454354bf73bb3a275382.png

5. Vectors connect to form 3d object - top down perspective of a pyramid 

1179902270_vectorsconnect.png.b94d7b802dcaea8fe4acc66a27390a05.png

6. Pyramid begins, perspective flips maybe?

1174958902_vectorsconnectnext.png.cbaf49ffc5501b5aed2a596b2e309bc4.png

589076554_vectorsconnectnextlevel.png.3bb47d533b23a835a964ae6a6e61ae74.png

1789053434_vectorsconnectnextleveldesign.png.0a69c3f0ab1bacf6eef0e6db9bdc9f8f.png

TiavQEl.jpg

42 minutes ago, purely fat said:

Soldat your pyramid logo should just be the top triangle with next level design on one line under it with no outline. Less is more. Logos have to be tight and concise to make their use as practical possible.  Logos typically separate the symbol from the name for contrast and readability.

1810047055_NextLevelDesignLogo.png.7261c6ecc95a6220245a10039bf4f036.png

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

TiavQEl.jpg

I'm going to drop a bunch of images I just got from a search.  These are mostly related to level design editors, with a few related or similar things in there as well.  What if the logo was actually created in a level editor, displayed as a wireframe?

Spoiler

wireframe-pixel-isometric-alphabet-clipa

vector-letter-stylized-polygonal-wirefra

rp_wireframe.jpg

room-wire.png

QmX6CUbvLcnYravMrNUVQTjDYMY6CbePvEKizsvd

02.png

maxresdefault.jpg

7ddcbcf9-1ec0-485f-ae26-d120a4a19906_sca

maxresdefault.jpg

4998478049_c62ed8c8e6_b.jpg

f82d8fb1-d0c4-4721-8445-88e415f20f32.jpg

LE_Trans_Widget.jpg

Transform_Rotate.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

jpeg

1.jpg

8nrhig323buy.png

MCR_Anvil_Wireframe.png

winston-hoyle-wireframe.jpg?1527193617

5 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

1.  a line

2.  2 lines

3.  3 lines

poly.png.c9995b65437271c94bc21a6632265f85.png

4. NLD- site name and ambition

1753804881_polynld.png.b9191acc5116454354bf73bb3a275382.png

5. Vectors connect to form 3d object - top down perspective of a pyramid 

1179902270_vectorsconnect.png.b94d7b802dcaea8fe4acc66a27390a05.png

6. Pyramid begins, perspective flips maybe?

1174958902_vectorsconnectnext.png.cbaf49ffc5501b5aed2a596b2e309bc4.png

589076554_vectorsconnectnextlevel.png.3bb47d533b23a835a964ae6a6e61ae74.png

1789053434_vectorsconnectnextleveldesign.png.0a69c3f0ab1bacf6eef0e6db9bdc9f8f.png

I've found that layering symbolism is not enough on its own, because at the end of the day, sometimes it doesn't show through. And, I don't know how else to put this, but I don't really think it shows with your logo. It just looks like a triangle with some letters in it, and to be totally honest, it looks forgettable.

9 hours ago, Westin said:

I've found that layering symbolism is not enough on its own, because at the end of the day, sometimes it doesn't show through. And, I don't know how else to put this, but I don't really think it shows with your logo. It just looks like a triangle with some letters in it, and to be totally honest, it looks forgettable.

Well wether or not the viewer is intelligent enough to see the layered meaning is out of ones control, at least this HAS layered meaning, the rest of the suggestions so far are inferior

TiavQEl.jpg

17 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

1.  a line

2.  2 lines

3.  3 lines

I agree with @Westin here, as in, it doesn't really show an evolution or iteration. I understood Multi's idea like this and I meant my own post more like this:

IMAG0432.thumb.jpg.807cef452b79b31fc01cea387a6be54d.jpg

[Whipped this up in two minutes, God, no Adobe feels bad. ]

What would you guys think of something like this?

2 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Well wether or not the viewer is intelligent enough to see the layered meaning is out of ones control, at least this HAS layered meaning, the rest of the suggestions so far are inferior

You should read your posts out loud to yourself before you make them.

1 hour ago, Buddy Jumps said:

I agree with @Westin here, as in, it doesn't really show an evolution or iteration. I understood Multi's idea like this and I meant my own post more like this:

IMAG0432.thumb.jpg.807cef452b79b31fc01cea387a6be54d.jpg

[Whipped this up in two minutes, God, no Adobe feels bad. ]

What would you guys think of something like this?

Thats OK, better than the anvil

TiavQEl.jpg