d5a17fc80b2a264be71b0f2d7bde1c32.thumb.png.f7bdbe4360a1288a8c2711008ea22475.png

@Box_Hoesnew map Nomad based off the flow/layout of a pinball table (spawn, launch, cycle, repeat) Is easily one of the best maps of its kind in Halo 5. Well done. I'll be posting the top down of the actual map for everyone to check out in a subsquent post. 

Edited by SaltyKoalaBear

I haven't updated my xbox yet so I can't play the new season 5 MCC I was so excited to play online with all the new customization undersuit options and the fotus helmet just the way halo 3 was supposed to be played in 2008!!!!

edit: fr tho the 343 armors look on par with H5 in the H3 engine wtf were they doing for 10 years

edit 2:

343.png.a006d46438723c992571e5425121f48f.png

edit 3:

oof.thumb.png.2d2348cabe4303abb71973c22e38918c.png

edit 4:

loomerhydra.thumb.jpg.0ce1145642f51dfbdc9f963d460565cd.jpg

this is the hydra

edit 5:

hi-sandbox-team-crest-waypoint-sm-69a80d

343 sandbox designer division motto:

possumus: we can

volumus: we will

debemus: we must

yikes

edit 6: ok, this is it

Ah, yes. The combat dance. The beating heart of every Halo game.

For grizzled Spartan veterans this should be a familiar scene: imagine a Forerunner interior; a timeless metallic vault with soaring ceilings. It’s quiet, empty… except for a pair of Hunters, shields up, shoulder-spikes twitching, blocking your path forward.

What to do? That’s easy! I said to myself, the first time I fought Hunters in Halo Infinite. Bait them, get them to charge, then step aside, pivot, and direct as much firepower into their exposed, wormy backsides as you can before they turn-and-turtle.

But when I tried these classic dance steps, the Hunters had something else in mind. 

As expected, one of the Hunters charged, exposing its weak spot. By the time I’d pivoted to face it, however, it had already pivoted to face me. That’s odd, I thought. Must be a bug. I tried the dance steps again. Same result. Except this time, the second Hunter filled my face with fuel rod projectiles, sending me scrambling for cover. 

Crouched behind a Forerunner pillar, shields fried and health deep in the red, I had a quick think: What’s different? Hunters turn faster. OK, assume this isn’t a bug. What’s the game trying to tell me? And what new dance moves have I got?

As another volley of enemy fire rattled my virtual head inside my virtual helmet, I remembered: I have equipment. Specifically, in the case of more reactive Hunters: I have a Grappleshot. Which means I’m faster and more mobile too!

I don’t want to spoil your own fun of experimentation with a detailed description of what happened next. But suffice it to say: the Grappleshot didn’t “cheese” my encounter with the Hunters, it deepened it—simultaneously made me feel more powerful and the Hunters more intelligent. We all knew the rules had changed. But the Hunters weren’t going to let me dance on their graves without a fight.

sprint 3.0 + sprint 3.5

2 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

I haven't updated my xbox yet so I can't play the new season 5 MCC I was so excited to play online with all the new customization undersuit options and the fotus helmet just the way halo 3 was supposed to be played in 2008!!!!

edit: fr tho the 343 armors look on par with H5 in the H3 engine wtf were they doing for 10 years

edit 2:

343.png.a006d46438723c992571e5425121f48f.png

edit 3:

oof.thumb.png.2d2348cabe4303abb71973c22e38918c.png

edit 4:

loomerhydra.thumb.jpg.0ce1145642f51dfbdc9f963d460565cd.jpg

this is the hydra

edit 5:

hi-sandbox-team-crest-waypoint-sm-69a80d

343 sandbox designer division motto:

possumus: we can

volumus: we will

debemus: we must

yikes

edit 6: ok, this is it

Ah, yes. The combat dance. The beating heart of every Halo game.

For grizzled Spartan veterans this should be a familiar scene: imagine a Forerunner interior; a timeless metallic vault with soaring ceilings. It’s quiet, empty… except for a pair of Hunters, shields up, shoulder-spikes twitching, blocking your path forward.

What to do? That’s easy! I said to myself, the first time I fought Hunters in Halo Infinite. Bait them, get them to charge, then step aside, pivot, and direct as much firepower into their exposed, wormy backsides as you can before they turn-and-turtle.

But when I tried these classic dance steps, the Hunters had something else in mind. 

As expected, one of the Hunters charged, exposing its weak spot. By the time I’d pivoted to face it, however, it had already pivoted to face me. That’s odd, I thought. Must be a bug. I tried the dance steps again. Same result. Except this time, the second Hunter filled my face with fuel rod projectiles, sending me scrambling for cover. 

Crouched behind a Forerunner pillar, shields fried and health deep in the red, I had a quick think: What’s different? Hunters turn faster. OK, assume this isn’t a bug. What’s the game trying to tell me? And what new dance moves have I got?

As another volley of enemy fire rattled my virtual head inside my virtual helmet, I remembered: I have equipment. Specifically, in the case of more reactive Hunters: I have a Grappleshot. Which means I’m faster and more mobile too!

I don’t want to spoil your own fun of experimentation with a detailed description of what happened next. But suffice it to say: the Grappleshot didn’t “cheese” my encounter with the Hunters, it deepened it—simultaneously made me feel more powerful and the Hunters more intelligent. We all knew the rules had changed. But the Hunters weren’t going to let me dance on their graves without a fight.

sprint 3.0 + sprint 3.5

I just laugh at this stuff now, and pretty soon there'll be no playerbase left to care about Halo. All these people who were so passionate... look at them now. Indifferent, quitting videos, quitting games altogether

And all that remains will be children with gamepass and the layman who plays for a month, puts it down for 4 years, and still calls it a good game on reddit

I haven't a single shred of hope left for this game and community

2 hours ago, Westin said:

I just laugh at this stuff now, and pretty soon there'll be no playerbase left to care about Halo. All these people who were so passionate... look at them now. Indifferent, quitting videos, quitting games altogether

And all that remains will be children with gamepass and the layman who plays for a month, puts it down for 4 years, and still calls it a good game on reddit

I haven't a single shred of hope left for this game and community

does this mean you won't be usurping multi from his throne when infinite comes out?

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Player feedback – via community input and additional vectors like user research studies – serves as our “north star” that we’ll evaluate alongside game telemetry data and our team’s instincts to inform a specific outcome. We know we may not always get it right, and we won’t be able to act on every piece of feedback we receive from a community as large and diverse as Halo’s, but we are committed to operating with transparency to acknowledge issues and most importantly, explain the “why” behind our decisions

good to know the ‘North Star’ is a cluster of nebulas on opposite sides of perihelion visible for only 12hrs of the day

honestly

3 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

Player feedback – via community input and additional vectors like user research studies – serves as our “north star” that we’ll evaluate alongside game telemetry data and our team’s instincts to inform a specific outcome. We know we may not always get it right, and we won’t be able to act on every piece of feedback we receive from a community as large and diverse as Halo’s, but we are committed to operating with transparency to acknowledge issues and most importantly, explain the “why” behind our decisions

good to know the ‘North Star’ is a cluster of nebulas on opposite sides of perihelion visible for only 12hrs of the day

honestly

i dont see anything wrong with that statement, those are actually good commitments to make moving forward. make sure you aren't mindlessly subscribing to 343i hate cult, be honest and give them credit when its due, even if its not often

infinite can be a fresh start for all of us including the devs, and even though they haven't been the devs we want, lets try and show some grace and be the better person

9 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

does this mean you won't be usurping multi from his throne when infinite comes out?

Whether or not I forge in infinite is not something I'm really making plans about. Maybe one week I find myself without anything to do and make something, maybe not, but I know that I won't be invested like I was going into Halo 5. There are more important things to work on.

Also, I am better than multi by miles and he knows it, everybody knows it, I won and it was a big beautiful win

10 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

i dont see anything wrong with that statement, those are actually good commitments to make moving forward. make sure you aren't mindlessly subscribing to 343i hate cult, be honest and give them credit when its due, even if its not often

Listening to feedback can be very useful. That's not what I take issue with. I take issue with the method into which the feedback is plugged back in. I take issue with the fact that these 343 devs are stating plainly that their guiding principle in this project - their 'North Star' - is what other people are telling them. Not just about past products, or competing products, but the very product they are currently building

Spoiler

I ask you: what is the standard by which a given piece of feedback is deemed important? What gets fed back into the system - and which part of the system - and how? Surely there is some primary, driving vision that they are trying to get a read on, right? Wouldn't that be their 'North Star'? If the vision is feedback, how is one going to be able to make any judgements on any of the feedback coming their way? How does one determine which to include and which to exclude? Clearly, these guys have included some elements and excluded others, so what's the standard? It cannot be what they claimed it was unless it is merely the loudest voice in the room.

This is just administrative offshoring with the help of house statisticians. I noted this after I was invited to the Halo Outpost event in 2019, where I listened to their panel discussion with the community managers and the head of their statistics department. Why bother filtering the feedback so assiduously unless you are trying to either:

1/ trawl for the really important pieces on technical bugs that cannot necessarily be tested internally - networking errors, display settings, user interface metrics, idk - with the added bonus of finding out what's clicking with people with different profiles

2/ use the magic of statistics to conjure up a consensus on what the project should end up looking like when it is finally released - in order to make a game that is for everybody

Based on everything I have seen, I think the answer is number 2. If that's the case, then it tells me that the sandbox team is not so much a wolfpack stalking the steppe on their own terms and in any weather, but rather a litter of lapdogs in the basket of a hot-air balloon, blown about in all directions hoping to reach the eye of the storm. I expect Infinite to be even more disintegrated than H5, with the added benefit of coming at the tail end of the Elder Duty: Arkham Assassins' of  War Souls cycle. It will be perfect in its disaster.

I will give them credit where it is due: they are very good at what they do!

41 minutes ago, Westin said:

Whether or not I forge in infinite is not something I'm really making plans about. Maybe one week I find myself without anything to do and make something, maybe not, but I know that I won't be invested like I was going into Halo 5. There are more important things to work on.

Also, I am better than multi by miles and he knows it, everybody knows it, I won and it was a big beautiful win

Tell us the hierarchy of skills in halo 5 to design for 

1 hour ago, Westin said:

you winning that 2v2 contest put you on the throne, multi better step his game up

I'm with icy 100% regarding that quote.  My initial reaction was exactly the same. 

There are three possible ways of interpreting it. 

1. They are letting some nebulous, generic feedback determine which direction the game goes, along with the equally shitty 'game telemetry data'. 

2. They actually have a clear direction, but are willing to sacrifice it to the will of the masses if they don't like it. 

3. It's simply lip service.  They have a guiding set of principles, and won't veer from them, but don't want to say that.

The thought of any of the three makes be a bit sick.

This is what happens when you introduce extended universe. 😁

You have kids reading the books who say HALO SHOULD BE THIS! The spartans are like anime characters in the books. chief can jump through a covenant ship with his fist...

SilentFearfulHermitcrab-size_restricted.

ANd you have kids like me who only play the games and only believe the GAME canon trumps all other canon. And we think halo should be THIS. Chief is a spartan yeah, but he's not INVICINCLE, just lucky...

halo-master-chief-collection-2020_halo3_

This isn't even a no sprint or abilities discussion at this point. IMO i'm just tired of 343 doing so much shit through their extended universe... yet they can't write for shit or direct a decent campaign (h4 had heart but was BORING as fuck to play) Apparently they killed the didact off in a comic book. they killed ODST rookie in a book. They made MICKEY an insurrectionist (don't care). THEY BROUGHT BACK 343 GUILTY SPARK, THE FUCKING BAD GUY TWICE OVER!!! AND NOW HE LOOKS LIKE THIS!! 

300px-HR_Spark.PNG

FROM THIS

Spark-halo3.jpg  

TO THIS

300px-HR_Spark.PNG

Edited by JB_

Most important thing, like with all games nowadays, is to not pre-order or buy in the first week/two weeks.

Unfortunately, people like Box do exactly that. Kappa.png.973ee30805616d4a1e4346b3b36520cb.pngAfterwards, developers/publishers don't learn from their mistakes, as they got all the money and think their stuff is sick. It's a cycle only interrupted by consumers (or less likely: senseful, logical and profound people in power positions). As long as they don't get the sense from the consumer base as in less money coming in, I'd suggest, most of the time nothing changes, or not much...

22 hours ago, Box_Hoes said:

Tell us the hierarchy of skills in halo 5 to design for 

You lost me at Halo 5

I basically answer that exact question in the video im making, although it's in regards to classic Halo, not Halo 5: clamberbackupians

8 hours ago, Buddy Jumps said:

Most important thing, like with all games nowadays, is to not pre-order or buy in the first week/two weeks.

Unfortunately, people like Box do exactly that. Kappa.png.973ee30805616d4a1e4346b3b36520cb.pngAfterwards, developers/publishers don't learn from their mistakes, as they got all the money and think their stuff is sick. It's a cycle only interrupted by consumers (or less likely: senseful, logical and profound people in power positions). As long as they don't get the sense from the consumer base as in less money coming in, I'd suggest, most of the time nothing changes, or not much...

Box has bought every Call of duty on preorder since the beginning of time

7f1230667bdf7d584c0dc2745892bbb1.jpg

Edited by JB_

Also I just wanna say - though this might open up wounds again - I don't feel like this whole conversation was ever two sided. Like, maybe I'm jaded, but @Box_Hoes when I read your question I... I don't see a question anymore, I see someone prodding, trying to get me to slip. Really. Seems like I could write a thesis the length of Harry Potter and wouldn't be any closer to coming to an understanding. The whole thing would just repeat itself, with a new reports of gossipy xbox live conversations, and some new shotposting hand-crafted with special care to try and upset me. Again, maybe it's just me, but really I don't think you guys are actually interesting in hearing my perspective or understanding it anymore, and as a result I'm not interested in explaining unless it's in a video format - and really, that's for everyone else.

3 hours ago, Westin said:

Also I just wanna say - though this might open up wounds again - I don't feel like this whole conversation was ever two sided. Like, maybe I'm jaded, but @Box_Hoes when I read your question I... I don't see a question anymore, I see someone prodding, trying to get me to slip. Really. Seems like I could write a thesis the length of Harry Potter and wouldn't be any closer to coming to an understanding. The whole thing would just repeat itself, with a new reports of gossipy xbox live conversations, and some new shotposting hand-crafted with special care to try and upset me. Again, maybe it's just me, but really I don't think you guys are actually interesting in hearing my perspective or understanding it anymore, and as a result I'm not interested in explaining unless it's in a video format - and really, that's for everyone else.

Once one realizes where your perspective and understanding falls apart, all the past wounds are healed. In fact, it makes you wonder why there were any wounds in the first place... Really quite silly in retrospect.   Im 99% sure @Box_Hoes wants to hear your explanation because he in part finds it amusing and in part is actually confused about your takes. 

I think what has thrown him off is your inability to accurately asses logic/gameplay functions of geometry on maps, specifically his own . I could imagine the frustration of a player with lesser skill and game knowledge in Halo 5 asserting how something functions when you as the better and wiser player know it doesn't function that way with reasonable certainty. 

box.PNG.963fd46856d2a5b620323ab2b3caf002.PNG

Were talking about they guy that watches hours of high level 2v2 gameplay for the sake of studying movement and combat patterns alone. 

It's all a bit comical to me, I actually laugh at how much care and investment I've had in my peers opinions in the past, I can thankfully say I'm finally over it.   

Im guessing this is just a miscommunication, but Is it true that you believe holding the inside of the pyramid on Nomad to be a viable strategy?