1 hour ago, Buddy Jumps said:

I agree with @Westin here, as in, it doesn't really show an evolution or iteration. I understood Multi's idea like this and I meant my own post more like this:

IMAG0432.thumb.jpg.807cef452b79b31fc01cea387a6be54d.jpg

[Whipped this up in two minutes, God, no Adobe feels bad. ]

What would you guys think of something like this?

Lemme try something in Photoshop along those lines

2 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

just sketching, obv I dont think any of these should be final. Just looking for directional input.

gm5NhO6.png

Honestly like this one a lot.  The interior can be viewed as either the interior of a cube (opened up on the near side, or as a full cube that's angling out toward you.  Ties in nicely with the theme of 'Next Level Design'.  

I see Soldat's point too.  It is similar to the Mapcore logo.  It may be just different enough to work, but I'm not 100% sure about that.  

For reference for those of you that aren't familiar with Mapcore:

image.png.7a21aac9a9f0537bbad7e37ab2077ff7.png

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

just sketching, obv I dont think any of these should be final. Just looking for directional input from everyone except Soldat.

VAJlhdD.png

QP7BXUa.png

gm5NhO6.png

aDp6H6n.png

I think the first one has the most potential. Possibly make it look as if its twisting in a helical manner to better transition to the cube.  I cant really explain what I'm thinking as I'm short on time and yours is so simplified but hopefully you have a small idea of what I mean.

Edited by no god anywhere

3 minutes ago, no god anywhere said:

I think the first one has the most potential. Possibly make it look as if its twisting in a helical manner to better transition to the cube.  I cant really explain what I'm thinking as I'm short on time and yours is so simplified but hopefully you have a small idea of what I mean.

Mmmm...yes.  I like that thought.  😊

5 hours ago, Westin said:

Are you really just going to reply to every suggestions with "meh, mine is better" lmao

It litterally is, i think you guys just cant get over your emotions and that is holding you back from making the right decision. If you guys can come up with one that is more simple and a good amount of layered meaning, that would be better. Atm the pryamid or some kind of optimised varient of it will remain superior. Ultimately it is chucks decision though so im trying not to get to but hurt about it

TiavQEl.jpg

23 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

It litterally is, i think you guys just cant get over your emotions and that is holding you back from making the right decision. If you guys can come up with one that is more simple and a good amount of layered meaning, that would be better. Atm the pryamid or some kind of optimised varient of it will remain superior. Ultimately it is chucks decision though so im trying not to get to but hurt about it

I've typed up like 5 different responses to this but I'm just going to go with the classic

lmao.

14 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Hey, I've tried to give feedback and suggestions as unbiased and neutral as possible in order to get the best outcome possible. I politely voiced my concerns about the pyramid and would like to add that unfortunately the current version does not hold enough identity and recognition value in my opinion. Whereas there are arguably questionable connections to level design with the forge symbol, I see even less features with the pyramid.

Yes, the structure seen from the side resembles a continuous process and therefore evolution. Though, in the structure seen from above iteration and even evolution, to me, are not existent.

Please do not bring up emotional bias; it backfires and lets you look like you're emotionally biased to bring it up in the first place. In Design, everyone inevitably is emotionally invested to some extent, as things like life experiences, culture, intellect and more all play into it. It's personal.

Anyway, due to @no god anywhere and @purely fat's comments following @MultiLockOn's drafts, I've made some more scetches (which only try to convey the concept):

IMAG0433.thumb.jpg.6f335b0a8fafb944b951d766a04c83fb.jpg

Did you mean something like this (explanation in the right upper corner)? I quickly searched for the Oroboros concept. Am I right that it's like the ring of Barahir Aragorn is wearing in LotR?

An eventual idea would be to represent two cycles of a design process, where at the stage of the most brilliant form it goes back to the most basic one. Everything could be connected by a ring.

Edited by Buddy Jumps
grammar

2 minutes ago, Jake Stegmeier | MartianMallCop said:

I think whatever the logo has that it shouldn't have the letters on it. Just something recognizable

I fully agree with this point. Either we go the letter-only route (as in the logo consisting of letters) or not include letters at all. Both put together often ends up looking overloaded and needlessly complicated.

20 minutes ago, no god anywhere said:

Honestly at this point I'm just seeing a lot of logo ideas that look like nothing to me at a surface level besides abstract shapes. None of it says level design to me.

?

20 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

I would like to see this. From your message I simply tried to form a concept, but probably didn't understand it properly? Please share your thoughts.

All this discussion about the logo makes me want to make one.

Sit tight, I'll be back.

Edit: Never mind, my phone won't transfer images. You all continue.

2nd Edit: Alright I made my logo in Forge in ten minutes

7ba0a488 3f2c 4681 8e22 9bb7d6491ccd

So the symbol is one rectangle, two squares, six triangles. You can make the shape in just seven lines, but not only can you make the shape, you can also take pieces of the symbol to make every english letter in the alphabet, and also every digit.

The symbol has three basic shapes commonly used in virtually all aspects of design, and has depth from its simple creation. Thank you for reading, please share your thoughts.

Edited by S0UL FLAME

Very cool stuff from everyone.  I really appreciate the ideas.  😊

I mostly agree with both Martian and no god.  

The logo should either consist exclusively of the NLD letters in some configuration, or it shouldn't have them at all.

And I'm also guilty of throwing abstract shapes together that ultimately have no relation to level design. Though I appreciate the thought and meaning that has gone into the ideas you all have shared, I need to be honest and recognize that most people that see our logo aren't going to know or care about the depth of meaning behind something.  And honestly, that's not the point of a logo anyway.

To put it simply - we need to aim for a logo that doesn't require an explanation, and is clearly related to the primary subject of interest (level design).

To me, the most obviously recognizable figures that level designers universally recognize would be the cube, and the XYZ axis arrows (if I'm missing something else that's obvious here, let me know).  And with that in mind, here's another dump of example images in the spoiler.

Spoiler

3d-cube-object-dimensions-3axis-600w-140

coordinate-system-cube-white-background-

3-dimension-512.png

3-512.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqPCIL6Hx0SMYx9xRHcnc

3D_transform-512.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJVBVVUYTE5vD4f4dmZcG

3d-printing-10-512.png

3 hours ago, a Chunk said:

Very cool stuff from everyone.  I really appreciate the ideas.  😊

I mostly agree with both Martian and no god.  

The logo should either consist exclusively of the NLD letters in some configuration, or it shouldn't have them at all.

And I'm also guilty of throwing abstract shapes together that ultimately have no relation to level design. Though I appreciate the thought and meaning that has gone into the ideas you all have shared, I need to be honest and recognize that most people that see our logo aren't going to know or care about the depth of meaning behind something.  And honestly, that's not the point of a logo anyway.

To put it simply - we need to aim for a logo that doesn't require an explanation, and is clearly related to the primary subject of interest (level design).

To me, the most obviously recognizable figures that level designers universally recognize would be the cube, and the XYZ axis arrows (if I'm missing something else that's obvious here, let me know).  And with that in mind, here's another dump of example images in the spoiler.

Hide contents

3d-cube-object-dimensions-3axis-600w-140

coordinate-system-cube-white-background-

3-dimension-512.png

3-512.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqPCIL6Hx0SMYx9xRHcnc

3D_transform-512.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJVBVVUYTE5vD4f4dmZcG

3d-printing-10-512.png

What about the nld cube?

TiavQEl.jpg