48 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

Screenshot_20210412-151057_Discord.thumb.jpg.aa43055b368ac3d3a71ee29b604a6f89.jpg

Why are you wasting time posting this trivial crap? Give us some wip design goodness from your game!  My finger is itching to hit the NLD button, it's been far to long and I want to be impressed by something, anything.  This is a challenge that goes out  to the whole community, impress me with something! 

12 minutes ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

Why are you wasting time posting this trivial crap? Give us some wip design goodness from your game!  My finger is itching to hit the NLD button, it's been far to long and I want to be impressed by something, anything.  This is a challenge that goes out  to the whole community, impress me with something! 

Scavenger impressed you get rekt 

2 hours ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

Hello esteemed members of Next Level Design.  I am Boyo.  Here I will be discussing the various elements of an ideal Halo game.  

There are three core playlists in multiplayer:  4v4 Arena, 6v6 Squad Battle, and 9v9 Invasion.  Each playlist draws upon the weapon sandbox in different ways.  Where Arena spawns players with a Magnum, Squad Battle spawns them with a Battle Rifle; each utility weapon complimenting the characteristics of its corresponding playlist.  

Arena’s focus is power item pick-ups on tight maps.  

With a power weapon like the Sniper Rifle, aim assist needs to be kept low so its lethality can be tempered by its difficulty.  

The Shotgun fires a wide volley of pellets, giving the user all the assistance he needs to hit enemies.  

Rockets typically kill by explosion after hitting a surface near the target so aim assist would be counter intuitive here.  

To compete with these low aim assist, high lethality power weapons, players need to spawn with an equally capable utility weapon.  The Magnum fires projectiles that kill in 4 shots in 0.9 seconds.  This utility weapon can kill quickly but with low aim assist and projectile bullets, landing ranged shots on a moving target takes some skill.  

Squad Battle spawns players with a Battle Rifle utility weapon.  It’s hitscan but kills slower than the Magnum.  This creates room for mid-tier weapon pick-ups.  Where Arena weapons give a greater advantage but also demand better aim, Squad pick-ups provide more minor enhancements to lethality without stripping the user of the lane bumpers he’s become accustomed to.  

In Squad Battle gametypes, the secondary spawn weapon is the Assault Carbine, offering an AR primary fire and, if Railgun Slugs are picked up from off the map, an Integrated Railgun alt-fire.  When picking a weapon up from off the map, players have to choose between dropping their trusty utility weapon or dropping their “power weapon in waiting” secondary.  

Invasion spawns players with unique weapons that correspond to their faction and rank.  A team is comprised nine players divided into three ranks; 1 high, 2 medium, and 6 low ranking players (1 Commander, 2 Fireteam Leaders, and 6 Spartans or 1 Field Marshall, 2 Ultras, and 6 Elites).  

The Assault Carbine and the Needler are the solitary spawn weapon for low ranking Spartans and Elites respectively.  Both weapons have an automatic primary fire with a slower but more powerful alt-fire.  

Before the Assault Carbine’s integrated railgun can be fired, Railgun Slugs must first be picked up from off the map.  Once secured, LT (the alt-fire button on scopeless weapons) charges then fires these devastating rounds.  

Railgun Slugs allow the map designer to discourage unbreakable spawn traps by providing the attackers with a controlled amount of power ammo for their spawn secondary.  Light defender vehicles can be introduced earlier, since the attacking infantry are now capable of defending themselves.  

The Needler uses the same ammo for both of its firemodes but alt-fire consumes 3x the rounds per shot compared to primary fire.  RT automatically fires short range, homing needle-shards (18 for supercombine).  LT activates a 2x scope and toggles RT into firing semi auto, long range needles (6sk with a headshot).  

The Assault Carbine and Needler are similar in that they both have an automatic primary fire with a more powerful but slower firing alt-fire.  The same map design that limits the long range effectiveness of Railgun Slugs also limits the long range effectiveness of scoped Needles.  

In other Invasion gametypes, the Spiker and Sentinel Beam are the solitary spawn weapon for low ranking Brutes and Prometheans respectively.  Aside from automatically firing spikes or continuously firing a laser beam, both weapons have an alt-fire that can move the user forward a short distance.  

The Spiker alt-fires a grappling hook that pulls the user forward on impact.  The Sentinel Beam can instantly activate a short range, forward teleport.  Maps can be designed to compliment these abilities in different ways.  Where the Sentinel Beam takes the most direct route, straight through the wall, the Spiker comes swinging wide around the side, flying high on his grappling ride.  

There are other quirks that have been designed into Invasion but permeate the more traditional gametypes as well.  

The Elite Field Marshall can activate Camo by crouching and remaining stationary but the two Spartan Fireteams Leaders have shotguns that alt-fire a Flashlight that reveals camo’d players.  

While these items create their own unique dynamic in Invasion, a counter to camo is now available in Arena gametypes as well.  The introduction of a hard counter allows the base effectiveness of camo to be increased.    

The Brute Chieftain has a Gravity Hammer that shifts the emphasis from hammer to gravity.  In addition to its powerful melee attack, the hammer can also blast away incoming grenades/projectiles by emitting a rapidly expanding Gravitational Wave.  

Not content with one alt-fire, the weapon’s third function pulls a nearby objective to the hammer, causing the objective to stick to the hammer upon arrival, allowing the user to carry the objective without neutering his movement/attack capabilities.  

On larger scale Invasion maps, the hammer’s primary benefit is the user’s ability to carry an objective on his back (once said objective has been attracted to and subsequently attached itself to the hammer).  The carrier can then equip a ranged secondary to better defend himself from the many enemies on this large map.  

On smaller Arena maps, the ability to begin a flag run from a few feet closer to home can mean the difference between a successful cap and death.  It creates room for more strats than “four down, pull”.  

The weapon design goal is to two-fold; create a sandbox for the flagship Invasion 2.0 experience while simultaneously including individual items that can enhance existing gametypes.  Infection maps could benefit from a shotgun that can also light up dark areas with an attached flashlight.  

Speaking of Infection, the Energy Sword has three functions:  Lunge, Speedboost, and Thermal Scan.  Sword lunge is a powerful short range attack.  Speedboost diverts energy from the weapon’s battery to the user’s armor and Thermal Scan reveals recent enemy footprints.  

Since neither the sword nor the hammer have a Scope to activate or magazine to Reload, these two unused buttons take on the role of secondary and tertiary abilities.  The hammer redefines objective play and the sword becomes a hunter of men; tracking footprints, moving quickly, lunging and killing.  

Here’s the way weapons work.  They have three buttons:  Fire, Scope, Reload.  On scopeless weapons, the Scope button becomes the Alt-fire button.  On battery-operated weapons, the Reload button can Toggle Firemodes or activate a Weapon Ability.  The hammer’s Objective Pull and the sword’s Thermal Scan are two examples of a Weapon Ability.  

The Plasma Detonator is an example of a weapon that uses the Reload button to Toggle Firemodes.  By default, RT semi automatically fires up to four remotely detonated stickies and LT detonates them but pressing X toggles the weapon from Detonator mode to Launcher mode, changing the function of LT to activating a 2x scope and RT to charging then firing up to four homing stickies.  

Most human weapons fire, scope, and reload; no alt-fire, no weapon ability.  Magnum/BR/Snipe/Rocks are simple.  Scope in, fire, then reload but alien weapons don’t follow that model.  

The Plasma Repeater automatically fires plasma bolts with RT.  LT activates the weapon’s Exhaust Port, venting hot gas forward a short distance in one continuous burst.  Primary fire builds up fleeting ammo for alt-fire via heat generation.  

The Plasma Repeater’s weapon ability is Hologram.  Pressing X sends a duplicate player model running forward.  Holding X causes two duplicate player models to flank the user on either side, mimicking his movements like backup dancers.  

Edited by Boyo

The Scepter’s primary fire is like a scoped Light Rifle while its alt-fire is similar to the Pro Pipe.  RT fires 3sk projectiles while LT launches then remotely detonates a bouncy EMP/explosive.  

The weapon cannot be reloaded; ammo is drawn from a single collective pool.  Instead, X activates Ping, causing nearby enemies to emit a directional sound.  

The Scepter’s alt-fire is the only projectile that causes hitmarkers to appear on the user’s screen when it deals its splash damage.  Where Ping provides enemy location data via audio, hitmarkers provide it visually.  

In the same way that the inclusion of Sprint, as a universal base trait for infantry, eliminates the possibility for other, more nuanced movement abilities, the inclusion of Radar, as a universal base trait for infantry, stifles Enemy Presence Detection in a similar fashion.  

EPDs like the sword’s Thermal Scan, that reveals recent enemy footprints, or the Scepter’s bouncy alt-fire projectile, with hitmarkers to check for enemies around corners, can flourish once bland radar is removed.  

Instead of tying Radar to infantry, what if it was tied to vehicles?  At the very least, that would free the Arena playlist from the counter productive HUD widget (because we want players to move but equip everyone with a tool that punishes movement).  

In Halo 2, the Ghost had a weak spot that could be shot to deal increased damage.  Vehicle Attachments could be a natural evolution of this established philosophy.  The Warthog has an Antenna that provides the occupants with Radar.  If an enemy destroys this antenna, they lose their radar.  

This creates a target for infantry.  In situations where the outright destruction of an enemy vehicle is impossible, you can at least reduce its capabilities with some well placed shots.  Halo needs that infantry-vehicle synergy in playlists outside of Arena.  

If human vehicles have radar, what EPD are Elite vehicles equipped with?  

The Sector Detector is a HUD widget composed of five colored lights.  If there is enemy presence in a certain section of the map, the corresponding light on the widget is lit.  

Unlike radar, which has a short range but is highly accurate, Sector Detector has a long range but only provides a general location.  

Edited by Boyo

1 hour ago, no god anywhere said:

What are grenades like? 

In short, 

Frags bounce.  

Stickies stick.  

Spike grenades deal increased impact damage, release a shaped directional blast, and fire off secondary spikes than can ricochet up to three times.  

Conduit is not thrown like a typical grenade; it is fired from the player model’s left hand.  A beam is continuously fired a short distance forward, terminating abruptly after a few feet.  

Contact with an enemy for its full, uninterruptible 0.45 second duration vampires 0.9 shield layers worth of damage from the target to the user’s energy shields.  Conduit can charge a fully shielded player into an Overshield layer but it will naturally decay over time since it could not reach a full, stable second layer.  

Because Prometheans have access to a few teleport abilities, via various sandbox items, a grenade type that cannot be bounced around a corner forces the campaign AI to kill the player face to face, not with an indirect-fire grenade-bath.  

15 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Not sure how much different you expect your discussions to be viewed upon, Boyo. Most of the people here browse or lurk Beyond already. 

If you guys would rather I not post here, I can do that and won’t act scorned over it.  I just figured if my boy Chunk had a forum, I would rather post there than anywhere else.  

I don't have any issue at all with you posting your gameplay ideas.  At this point it's an improvement to the quality of discussion in this thread.

Personally though, I find the ideas to be relatively meaningless when they're shared without context.  I enjoyed your first post here a lot because of the specific context that was provided.

Have you ever considered starting your own thread (at whatever forum you like) where you lay everything out at a more holistic level?  That's something I'd be interested in reading.

14 minutes ago, a Chunk said:

I don't have any issue at all with you posting your gameplay ideas.  At this point it's an improvement to the quality of discussion in this thread.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47dvqo2lcs4kfi5asbbs

Personally though, I find the ideas to be relatively meaningless when they're shared without context.  I enjoyed your first post here a lot because of the specific context that was provided.

I’ll try to do that in the future.  Sometimes I just share the basic framework of an idea first so I don’t preemptively alter someone else’s perception of it.  Where I may be looking at it one way, they may see it another and if I provide too much fine detail, this other person may not be able to riff on it as easily, see it in their own unique way.  

Have you ever considered starting your own thread (at whatever forum you like) where you lay everything out at a more holistic level?  That's something I'd be interested in reading.

And so, WIBWO was born.  

Edited by Boyo