10 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

Then why can't you throw grenades or kick people of slap down a piece of equipment all while shooting? Is Halo really freedom?

I mean, that would be kinda neat if you could tbqph

27 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you get upset when an enemy enters a vehicle because he can now move in ways that you can’t?  

no

2 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

the beauty of Halo is that there aren’t any (Halo 5 excluded) context dependent abilities - every function is mapped and accessible just about 100% of the time, and everyone has the same potential for action

Could you clairify what you meant here then because I must be misunderstanding something.  It seemed like you were disagreeing with something I said.  What were you disagreeing with?  

5 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Could you clairify what you meant here then because I must be misunderstanding something.  It seemed like you were disagreeing with something I said.  What were you disagreeing with?  

you picked the part of my post where I didn’t disagree with anything you said, could you clarify what it is you think I disagreed with in there?

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

I’m just trying to understand what point you were trying to make.  I’m still giving you the benefit of the doubt but that feeling is waning.  

my point in that paragraph was that halo is a simple

game that benefits from simplicity of interface

7 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

my point in that paragraph was that halo is a simple

game that benefits from simplicity of interface

The Plasma Pistol has three buttons available to it.  It leaves two of those buttons unused then maps two functions to the remaining one button.  Is that the simplicity you’re referring to?  

13 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Plasma Pistol has three buttons available to it.  It leaves two of those buttons unused then maps two functions to the remaining one button.  Is that the simplicity you’re referring to?  

sort of - the plasma pistol has a single trigger and the mapping of a single button for both regular and charged bolts is exactly how that weapon would function if you were holding it in real life, so it’s super simple for the player to interface

3 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

sort of - the plasma pistol has a single trigger and the mapping of a single button for both regular and charged bolts is exactly how that weapon would function if you were holding it in real life, so it’s super simple for the player to interface

Mapping two functions to one button in a tap/hold fashion makes the Plasma Pistol’s primary fire feel mushy because the game has to continually guess which one you are trying to activate.  Why deal with the downsides of two functions to one button when there are multiple unmapped weapon control buttons available?  

12 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Mapping two functions to one button in a tap/hold fashion makes the Plasma Pistol’s primary fire feel mushy because the game has to continually guess which one you are trying to activate.  Why deal with the downsides of two functions to one button when there are multiple unmapped weapon control buttons available?  

I don’t really mind that, personally, because I never use single shot plasma pistol,  but I guess you could treat it like a Banshee, where you can press scope and swap between pellet and overcharge mode instantaneously

or just remove the weapon 

or just remove the pellet and keep it as overcharge only

Do you disagree that the triggers are the two most important buttons on the controller?  

What function should be mapped to the Left Trigger by default?  

1 minute ago, Kantalope said:

fuck it, just make halo into Kirby's Air Ride and map everything to Right-Trigger

How has that series fared?  I haven’t played it since the original.  

29 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you disagree that the triggers are the two most important buttons on the controller?  

What function should be mapped to the Left Trigger by default?  

yes, I disagree

but they are prominent

the shooty trigger is usually the most important in shooters re. immediate impact upon enemy players, but the shooty trigger means nothing without input from all the other buttons and knobs unless its on rails so...

in Halo? it's usually nades

in CoD, it's usually ADS

in racing games, it's usually brake

doesn't the mapping of any function to any particular button become a moot point with the advent of customizeable input mapping, controllers? and M/KB?

The Soul Flame is a blue fireball that is ejected from the player model upon death.  Steering this first person projectile into an enemy possesses him, giving the user control over the target’s player model.  

For ten seconds after impact, the target’s player model has a blue flaming head.  If the possessed player model is not killed in those ten seconds, the target is sacrificed and sent to respawn while his former player model morphs into the user’s original form, completing the resurrection ritual.  

Edited by Boyo

Vehicle Attachments 

The Mongoose can have a Wedge mounted to its front bumper, allowing the vehicle to flip others by ramming into them.  

Where the wedge is passive, requiring no additional user input, the Warthog’s Flipper is manually activated by the driver.  Once the front forks are underneath the target vehicle, RT rapidly jerks them skyward, flipping the target vehicle up into the air.  

The Ghost boosts and fires with the triggers.  The bumpers control its rear attachment, a linear nozzle that can lay down a continuous wall in its wake.  

RB creates an Energy Ribbon behind the vehicle as it travels forward.  This Great Wall can block a retreating enemy force or divert an attacking enemy force.  

LB toggles the ribbon from vertical to horizontal, allowing the vehicle to lay down an artificial walkway for infantry to travel on.  The Ghost boosts over a impassable gap, laying down a small bridge behind it, creating a new path for his teammates.  

Like the ghost, the Chopper boosts and fires with the triggers but the bumpers do something else.  RB deploys a Razor Chain that drags behind the vehicle.  Sharp turns whip this flexible tail around with enough force to splatter infantry.  

LB performs a unique movement ability.  On soft surfaces like sand, the Chopper seamlessly nose dives into the ground, like a dolphin porpoising under the surface of the water.  A moment later, the vehicle pops back out of the ground, a short distance ahead.  

Dolphin Dive can be used to bypass walls, tunneling beneath them like a dog under a fence.  In conjunction with the vehicle’s large frontal splatter-wheel, this maneuver can be used to destroy heavy vehicles.  By attacking its soft underbelly, the chopper can rip right through the tank’s weak spot.  

Edited by Boyo
1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Vehicle Attachments 

The Mongoose can have a Wedge mounted to its front bumper, allowing the vehicle to flip others by ramming into them.  

Where the wedge is passive, requiring no additional user input, the Warthog’s Flipper is manually activated by the driver.  Once the front forks are underneath the target vehicle, RT rapidly jerks them skyward, flipping the target vehicle up into the air.  

The Ghost boosts and fires with the triggers.  The bumpers control its rear attachment, a linear nozzle that can lay down a continuous wall in its wake.  

RB creates an Energy Ribbon behind the vehicle as it travels forward.  This Great Wall can block a retreating enemy force or divert an attacking enemy force.  

LB toggles the ribbon from vertical to horizontal, allowing the vehicle to lay down an artificial walkway for infantry to travel on.  The Ghost boosts over a impassable gap, laying down a small bridge behind it, creating a new path for his teammates.  

Like the ghost, the Chopper boosts and fires with the triggers but the bumpers do something else.  RB deploys a Razor Chain that drags behind the vehicle.  Sharp turns whip this flexible tail around with enough force to splatter infantry.  

LB performs a unique movement ability.  On soft surfaces like sand, the Chopper seamlessly nose dives into the ground, like a dolphin porpoising under the surface of the water.  A moment later, the vehicle pops back out of the ground, a short distance ahead.  

Dolphin Dive can be used to bypass walls, tunneling beneath them like a dog under a fence.  In conjunction with the vehicle’s large frontal splatter-wheel, this maneuver can be used to destroy heavy vehicles.  By attacking its soft underbelly, the chopper can rip right through the tank’s weak spot.  

Somebody watched robot wars

35 minutes ago, purely fat said:

Somebody watched robot wars

Wasn’t Faruq a Halo hype man back in the day?  He’s on BattleBots now.  Even has his own show Battlebots Headhunters.  

You missed the reference regarding the Ghost’s bridging ability though.  

As well as the Great Wall.  

I originally intended for this to be a feature of a Promethean vehicle, for herding and slaughtering flood but it just fits so well with the existing Ghost.  

Herding is the concept of moving the zombies to where you want them, usually so they can be killed en masse easier.  Zombie games accomplish this in different ways eg Monkey Bombs.  

Edited by Boyo
1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Wasn’t Faruq a Halo hype man back in the day?  He’s on BattleBots now.  Even has his own show Battlebots Headhunters.  

You missed the reference regarding the Ghost’s bridging ability though.  

As well as the Great Wall.  

I originally intended for this to be a feature of a Promethean vehicle, for herding and slaughtering flood but it just fits so well with the existing Ghost.  

Herding is the concept of moving the zombies to where you want them, usually so they can be killed en masse easier.  Zombie games accomplish this in different ways eg Monkey Bombs.  

To be fair, I didn't make it beyond the warthog before I posted that. So yeah, definitely missed some references. 

Unlike other factions, Promethean vehicles are deployable.  One piece of Equipment is how all three Promethean vehicles are accessed.  B followed by Down, Left, or Right on the D pad causes one of three vehicles to materialize around the user.  

The Chariot is a rapid assault vehicle, moving the user forward, fast.  He can turn left and right while firing his hand weapons but the only way to slow down is to disable the vehicle by dematerializing it.  

The Scythe is a troop transport vehicle.  A crescent moon shaped platform hovers well above the ground, projecting a curved shield wall downward, allowing infantry to independently travel behind this vehicle’s curtain of protection.  

The Shroud is an open-top mech.  It’s slow but can anchor a position.  

These vehicles can be operated by bipedal player models but they are also designed to support players in Sphere form.  

The Promethean armor ability is Sphere.  The user’s player model shrinks and transforms into a metallic beach ball that can roll around and jump but not attack (in third person view).  

Where the Chariot only shields a biped’s legs, the shorter Sphere is nearly fully covered on three sides.  

When a biped operates the Scythe’s turret, located atop the hovering platform, there is a small shield that only covers his legs.  A Sphere is nearly fully covered while still able to pilot the vehicle and fire its forward weapon, just as a biped would.  

The Shroud has an open top when a biped operates it, exposing the upper half of his player model to potential enemy fire.  When a sphere enters the shroud, the player model is short enough that the vehicle can project a small, protective dome of hardlight over the user.  

On foot, transforming into a sphere allows the player to access unique paths and areas by traveling through vents and such.  Half height cover can shield a sphere’s travel from prying eyes and bullets.  Launcher tubes can send a sphere flying through the air, across the map.  

Sphere is the key that unlocks many doors.  There is one map for bipeds and another for spheres.  

Edited by Boyo