In movies, when nuclear missiles are launched, two soldiers have to simultaneously turn two keys.  Could this concept have any value in gameplay?  

In Invasion, the two promethean lieutenants each have a piece of equipment that, upon activation of one, prompts its counterpart to activate as well.  If that prompt is answered promptly then a scripted map event is initiated.  

Since this event irreparably changes the map, both players must agree on the right time to do it.  What kind of match altering event should shake the earth in Invasion 2.0, the asymmetric, multi-phase, BTB experience?  

@icyhotspartin your a GOD bro. Your opinion on level design is of the 

the utmost most value and Importance to me. Your work speaks for itself. Your a legend!

@Westin @MultiLockOn

You guys should consider aquiring @Box_Hoes for you level Design team. Out of all the maps I've played in Halo 5 nomad BY FAR exemplifies my understanding of your preached design values and goals.  The amount of player freedom, playstyle and decision making the map allows far exceeds anything that either of you have created in Halo 5 and I think if your willing to check your egos he would be a great addition is to your team.  In fact, I think his knowledge and skill In level design could carry your entire game. 

@icyhotspartin did I mention how sick your maps are?

Edited by icyhotspartin
Confidentiality

The Field Marshall is the highest ranking Elite on a nine player Invasion team.  His lower ranking teammates have the option to buddy-spawn on him.  

Three systems come together to create one of the Field Marshall’s quirks.  

The Energy Sword is now classified as a Sidearm.  In addition to a primary and secondary, this small melee weapon can be carried, holstered.  Tap Y to switch between primary and secondary.  Hold Y for a moment to equip the holstered sword.  

The Bubble Shield is the Field Marshall’s spawn Equipment.  The bubble allows the player to fight exclusively at close range and the sword excels at CQC (though it shouldn’t be necessary as most enemies would rather not come charging through the bubble just to be skewered by the sword upon arrival).  

Cloak is an “Officer Ability” (a new class of enhancements assigned to the ranking officer on an Invasion team).  If the Field Marshall crouches and remains stationary, Camo is activated.  Enemies can now be intimidated by an empty bubble shield because they cannot be sure if an invisible, sword-wielding Field Marshall lurks within.  

In an Invasion match, two factions are pitted against each other.  Each team has one ranking officer who is granted two unique enhancements.  

Faction - Ranking Officer 

Spartan - Commander 

Elite - Field Marshall 

Brute - Chieftain 

Promethean - Alpha 

Officer Ability 

Armor Lock - crouch is disabled, L3 activates armor lock instead 

Cloak - crouch and remain stationary to activate camo 

Exaltation - nearby teammates gain 125% damage resistance 

Soul Flame - blue fireball ejected on death possesses impacted enemy 

Armor Enhancement 

Bandolier - magnum sidearm has a bottomless clip and frag grenades regenerate over time 

Shield Collar - a small, spherical, secondary energy shield protects the player from one headshot while his primary shields are down 

Gravity Harness - the user takes half damage from bodyshots and explosions 

Light Blade - increased melee damage, successful melee strikes jumpstart the user’s shield recharge, certain objects can be interacted with to charge an overshield (melee an energy beam) 

Unlike an Overshield power-up, that can be picked up by any player at any time after it spawns, an Energy Beam can only be harvested into an Overshield during the brief burst that goes off every X seconds.  If the Light Blade user is not there exactly when the Energy Beam goes off, he misses his chance to charge an OS.  

Edited by Boyo

@Boyo wouldnt it be amazing if we could just 'think' these games and mechanics into existence? there is such a huge barrier between very creative individuals like most people on this forum, that stops these amazing games from ever existing... the huge learning curve that is game engines and tools. if only we had all the money we needed to just throw at people and make our visions come to life, either that, or be prepared to spend years of your life learning a game engine and all the tools youll need and general computer science bullshit jargan that you need to just kickstart your project

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

16 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

wouldnt it be amazing if we could just 'think' these games and mechanics into existence?

I’ll have to settle for playing on the ceiling like the little girl from The Queen’s Gambit for now.  

The Plasma Pistol primary fires plasma bolts that kill in 9 bodyshots (4 to deshield, 2 to bleedthrough melee).  In place of a scope, LT activates alt-fire, charging then firing an EMP Bolt.  Mapping alt-fire to a separate button allows RT to fire projectiles on trigger-pull instead of trigger-release, making it less Mickey Mouse.  

X toggles alt-fire from an EMP Bolt to a Plasma Shield.  Instead of charging a secondary projectile type, LT causes the weapon to emit a circular shield, protecting the player’s upper body while leaving a hole in the center to primary fire through.  Throwing a grenade briefly lowers the shield.  

Players are already accustomed to the Plasma Pistol’s alt-fire creating something green around the end of the barrel.  Now they can choose whether it’s the first half of the noob combo or the counter to it.  

3 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The Plasma Pistol primary fires plasma bolts that kill in 9 bodyshots (4 to deshield, 2 to bleedthrough melee).  In place of a scope, LT activates alt-fire, charging then firing an EMP Bolt.  Mapping alt-fire to a separate button allows RT to fire projectiles on trigger-pull instead of trigger-release, making it less Mickey Mouse.  

X toggles alt-fire from an EMP Bolt to a Plasma Shield.  Instead of charging a secondary projectile type, LT causes the weapon to emit a circular shield, protecting the player’s upper body while leaving a hole in the center to primary fire through.  Throwing a grenade briefly lowers the shield.  

Players are already accustomed to the Plasma Pistol’s alt-fire creating something green around the end of the barrel.  Now they can choose whether it’s the first half of the noob combo or the counter to it.  

I get the idea of putting the charge shot on another button because it makes the mechanics of the weapon more responsive feeling, but the extra alt-fire is a bit too "all in one" for me personally. I would rather you gave the counter to another weapon for the sake of dynamics and variety while not overdoing it on an individual level for each weapon. If every weapon has some sort of alt fire the player already has to account for said weapons primary in combination with its alt as well as every other possible combo between weapons that are available. If you start having multiple alt-fire options for multiple weapons that then counter their own alt-fire as well, you will create a multitude of things that could become obnoxious.

Say noob combo is strong (usually is, especially in small player counts) and the map only features one plasma pistol then the counter to noob combo is stuck to the noob combo itself which then creates the issue of a person always having to put multiple plasma pistols on a map or no plasma pistol at all. Creating a strong chance that the gun would be completely removed from competitive removing one of the few easy to use counters to an OS that seems to get stronger with every game that comes out.

I think there is potential with your alt-fire idea but it has to be done in a way where it is more utility driven than damage driven and it's effects need to be nuanced and balanced in a way where they don't feel overly obtrusive to the general Halo experience. This is where Halo 5 specifically failed largely due to a bunch of server related bugs and issues that enabled people who were high level with a ton of heavy aim to just fly around the map and be punished less than they would have been in older halo's. Same thing can occur through giving every weapon too much utility.

I appreciate your posts even if I find a lot of your ideas over the top. At least you present idea's with information behind them you can actually discuss. I know most of the Halo community is too far up their own ass about what Halo should be to actually have a genuine conversation about anything different from the original trilogy. You'd probably would have gotten better reactions from people if you were a little more tamed with your weapon and vehicle concepts, while working with same ideas that drove them. 

1 hour ago, purely fat said:

counters to an OS

Do you think a precision analog to the Plasma Pistol could work as an OS counter?  

The Boltshot is similar to the Plasma Pistol in that RT is a semi auto, lower damage attack while LT is a charge then fire, higher damage attack.  

LT launches a single projectile that kills with a headshot regardless of shield level.  It begins rapidly dropping after traveling a short distance, limiting effective range to close.  

Background: 

I wanted a battery operated precision weapon and the Boltshot was a good candidate to become a scopeless covenant carbine that never needs to reload.  That’s primary fire.  

Alt-fire launches a single bolt that deals very low damage but is headshot capable and ignores energy shields, passing right through them.  This unique combination of projectile traits mean a bodyshot deals virtually no damage while a headshot is lethal, even against OS.  

X toggles alt-fire from the damage dealing bolt to the teleport dart.  LT charges then fires a rapidly dropping projectile that teleports the user to its point of impact.  Just as the bolt ignores energy shields, the dart ignores shield doors, countering those campers on Snowbound by allowing the player to tactically insert himself behind them.  

Bringing this back around to the Plasma Pistol:  

There is a Plasma Shield protecting your target’s head.  You fire a shield-ignoring Bolt that passes through the plasma shield and kills the enemy behind it with a headshot.  

Edited by Boyo
30 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Do you think a precision analog to the Plasma Pistol could work as an OS counter?  

The Boltshot is similar to the Plasma Pistol in that RT is a semi auto, lower damage attack while LT is a charge then fire, higher damage attack.  

LT launches a single projectile that kills with a headshot regardless of shield level.  It begins rapidly dropping after traveling a short distance, limiting effective range to close.  

I mean that isn't really my main point. My point is more so the slippery slope that comes from too many additions to a single weapon. I think putting the charge shot on alt fire is fine but to include a hard counter to it within the same weapon can lead to sandbox issues that are obnoxious to resolve. 

Personally, I am not a fan of damaged based alt-fire for halo weapons and look more towards utility that help players in other way's such as movement or support for yourself and other teammates. Basically, utility that promotes creative play and teamwork/peel. You could even base it off the damage. So the more damage a weapon has the worse it's alt fire utility becomes and vice versa. Which could create a dynamic where people will always be holding on to a shitty weapon because of the utility it brings. Cool thing with any sort of charge shot that is plasma is you have an abundant of options for utility. Destructible barriers, temporary lifts/man cannons, player displacement tools (thinking of orisa suck from OW),  temporary glass paths you can slide on. All things that would be fairly easy to balance and made in a way that isn't too oppressive or over the top. Especially if you consider the fact that it would be tied to ammo count and has multiple aspects that could be tweaked in very simple ways without too much overhaul or complete redesigns.

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

I thought every weapon should be a utility weapon?

@Boyo you should write a Halo short story using your ceiling invasion match as a template, I’d enjoy reading it

Fucking clown lol

sorry if you are not actually clowning.

Edited by purely fat
1 hour ago, purely fat said:

I am not a fan of damaged based alt-fire for halo weapons and look more towards utility that help players in other way's

The Power Band can pull aerial vehicles in with RT, like a tractor beam.  LT causes a proximate, targeted object to hover in front of the user, like he is holding it via some invisible force.  While carrying an object, LT drops it, X rotates it, and RT launches it forward.  

Different objects have different projectile traits.  Where a fusion foil explodes on impact, a spear-like object impales a player, slowly draining his health over time.  

Something like a chain that wraps an enemy’s arms, preventing him from attacking, may seem like a good fit for this weapon but I want to stay away from effects that disempower the target, things that prevent him from moving or shooting.  

What other objects could the Power Band send flying forward?  

Edited by Boyo

In Invasion, the Brute Chieftain spawns with a piece of Equipment called Golem that transforms his player model into a flat shadow that slides over the ground.  

From this default movement mode, the user can transform into a sinkhole that swallows infantry like an on-demand sarlacc pit or a sandman that can spit and clap to deal damage.  

Crouch is the original player model transformation; simple yet multifunctional.  Where crouch is a utility weapon, Golem is a power weapon, blurring the lines between player, vehicle, and the map itself.