4 hours ago, Boyo said:

I wish we could see this moving instead of a stationary cockpit. I'm still worried about movement with this new camera option

and I say this because the guy from the video applied the fix to skyrim but doesn't ever show it while moving. Only stationary which raises my concern there's a movement issue with the pivot joint and knowing when to actually turn the character.

I could also be overcomplicating it, and it probably "just works" 

ToddHoward2010sm_(cropped).jpg

Edited by JB_

Halo 5 gave Spartans many new movement abilities outside of the standard run, jump, and crouch.  

What would Halo have looked like if Spartans were given additional attack vectors, outside of the standard gun, grenade, and melee, instead?  

Edited by Boyo

i've been buckling down and digging into the more technical side of game development, starting to wade through all the uv maps and shaders jargin now that i feel pretty confident about mesh stuff, this guy is making some next gen tools for unity, the kind of stuff you see on red dead and gta 

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

How would you feel about Chief gaining new attacks by defeating mini-bosses in an open-world campaign?  

Sidearms are a sub-class of weapons that do not count toward the player’s two-weapon limit.  Holding Y for a moment equips the selected sidearm.  Right on the D-pad cycles through the available sidearms.  

Four weapons are classified as sidearms:  the Magnum, Energy Sword, SAW, and Power Band.  Each provides a different kind of attack.  

The Magnum is a utility weapon (4sk@0.9s, 2x scope, 12 round magazine).  It is a general purpose weapon that is decent in most situations.  (Armor Enhancements are another class of item that I won’t get into now but suffice to say, Chief eventually acquires a “Bandolier” that feeds directly into the Magnum’s magazine well, removing the need to reload the weapon, giving the human sidearm a “bottomless clip”).  

The Energy Sword causes the player to Lunge at a proximate enemy, killing the target in one hit.  In addition to its primary attack, the sword also has a secondary and tertiary ability:  Speedboost and Thermal Scan (reveals recent enemy footprints).  The combination of these three abilities allow the user to hunt enemy infantry; tracking, finding, killing.  

The SAW is a deployable vehicle-hunter vehicle operated via remote control.  Once deployed onto the map, the spiked-wheel perpetually rolls forward, splattering infantry and vehicles alike.  Impacting a wall does not stop this mayhem machine, it rolls right up that wall without missing a beat, climbing the vertical surface as if the effects of gravity didn’t apply to it.  

Prior to the SAW’s deployment, Wall Crawl can be activated, allowing the user to ride up and around on a vertical surface (eg attach to the outer structure of the enemy base, steer the weapon’s default vertical pull into a horizontal ride, travel around the stronghold’s curved outer wall to the unguarded back window that overhangs a cliff, enter the otherwise-inaccessible ingress and sneak attack the enemy).  

The Magnum is the Utility Weapon, the Sword is the Infantry Hunter, and the SAW is the Vehicle Hunter but what is the Promethean Sidearm?  The Power Band is the Environment Manipulator.  It can pick up, drop, carry, rotate, and launch a moveable object forward.  Different objects have different projectile traits.  

Where a fusion coil explodes, a spear-like object impales, slowly draining the health of a target until he bleeds out and dies.  Crates can not be launched very far or fast but they can be carried and placed, creating jump-ups or blocking doorways.  

What are your thoughts on the concept of Sidearms, a third weapon that can be equipped by holding Y?  

How do you feel about this specific selection of sidearms and their respective abilities?  

Edited by Boyo

the things that make me lean towards unity as a level designer and enviornment artist is the various modeling tools built into the engine, like UModeler and probuilder, plus the fast vertex snapping. It makes my job a breaze, but Unity has been fucking up and their future is not looking bright. Spreading themselves thin by adding shallow and incomplete features that get abandoned. Or there recently revised render pipelines that make all community made pulgins incompatable with newer versions of Unity, or requiring a complete re write of code to fix the shaders and other bs.

And Unreal sucks because they have all these photo realistic assets for free which is amazing, but incomplete and not versatile, which means you either build scenes to the strengths of the kits, which doesn't get you far. And when you try to fill in the gaps with your own models either from blender or the crappy in game modeling tools, you are trying to match the quality of the highly detailed quixel scan assets and its going to be really hard to maintain a cohesive and consistent level of detail and quality across your scene...

fuck

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

38 minutes ago, S0UL FLAME said:

That rant reminds me of someone who lamented about a similar problem.

Cryptic.  I wish I could become part of the in-group that understands your obscure references.  

7 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

the things that make me lean towards unity as a level designer and enviornment artist is the various modeling tools built into the engine, like UModeler and probuilder, plus the fast vertex snapping. It makes my job a breaze, but Unity has been fucking up and their future is not looking bright. Spreading themselves thin by adding shallow and incomplete features that get abandoned. Or there recently revised render pipelines that make all community made pulgins incompatable with newer versions of Unity, or requiring a complete re write of code to fix the shaders and other bs.

And Unreal sucks because they have all these photo realistic assets for free which is amazing, but incomplete and not versatile, which means you either build scenes to the strengths of the kits, which doesn't get you far. And when you try to fill in the gaps with your own models either from blender or the crappy in game modeling tools, you are trying to match the quality of the highly detailed quixel scan assets and its going to be really hard to maintain a cohesive and consistent level of detail and quality across your scene...

fuck

then learn to model... 

Posted (edited)

I mean seriously, all models are just GOOD textures... here's quixels mushrooms in UNREAL vs MAx.

Even for the highest LOD. it's not even super high poly. Even the low poly would look as good as high poly...

All of quixel is just good PBR materials. I'm sure you know most of their stuff is megascanned too but even with good ol fashion modeling and good ass textures you can achieve good results. And all quixels materials are free if you have an unreal account...

d3c626d60a47f4084042a1c985d2642f.jpg

5c5cf396b652ad6d4df57ac6f37c24ef.jpg

Edited by JB_
10 minutes ago, JB_ said:

I mean seriously, all models are just GOOD textures... here's quixels mushrooms in UNREAL vs MAx.

Even for the highest LOD. it's not even super high poly. Even the low poly would look as good as high poly...

All of quixel is just good PBR materials. I'm sure you know most of their stuff is megascanned too but even with good ol fashion modeling and good ass textures you can achieve good results. And all quixels materials are free if you have an unreal account...

making me hungry!

1 hour ago, JB_ said:

TRUE 

Poly count isnt even that important, 95% of what makes a good scene is due to the quality of your textures, lighting,  and post processing. I havent used Mixer 2021 yet, but it looks like that+smart materials should allow you to make whatever it is you need.