6 hours ago, JB_ said:

a needle so big that when it hits anywhere below the head, the explosion immidiately drops your shield like any other sniper....but the headshot would explode your head.... gears of war style.

So, functionally identical to the existing Sniper Rifle?  

6 hours ago, JB_ said:

[Fuel Rod Cannon projectiles] also used to bounce

If the game was going to feature a weapon with bouncing projectiles, don’t you think something along the lines of the Pro Pipe would be a better implementation?  

6 hours ago, JB_ said:

but yeah the needle launcher would probably just behave like yhe plasma launcher. either track you (if it was  a mass of needles, like a swarm of bees chasing you that supercombines)

If it behaves just like the Plasma Launcher, why even bother including it?  Because it looks cool?  

i like the idea of a sci fi bolt action rifle that doesn't kill in one shot, but drains the enemies shields, and keeps them at 0 until the player picks up a health pack.. that way even if you dont switch to your magnum and get to finish the kill, you can make informed predictions based one where the closest health pack is for them, maybe pre nade it before they get there, or maybe the enemy will go around the map for the farthest health pack  to subvert your expectations.. and maybe you where smart enough to predict that one instead 😉

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Damn that splash screen on Resident Evil 8 showing Quixel wasn't a joke. They really be using Quixel in the game /s

a58420b6ba0909021a15fe8aba8180f7.jpg

resident-evil-village-castle-ray-tracing

nah jk but  I was curious if any of these were maybe used in the game. I don't think they used anything from the actual site, they probably just used some megascans or materials. 

BUT GODDAMN

4 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

i like the idea of a sci fi bolt action rifle that doesn't kill in one shot, but drains the enemies shields, and keeps them at 0 until the player picks up a health pack.. that way even if you dont switch to your magnum and get to finish the kill, you can make informed predictions based one where the closest health pack is for them, maybe pre nade it before they get there, or maybe the enemy will go around the map for the farthest health pack  to subvert your expectations.. and maybe you where smart enough to predict that one instead 😉

I am not a fan of disabling base player abilities, especially one as important as shield recharge through something as trivial as a weapon attack (ie not some big Map Event that knocks everyone’s shields off for a minute).  

Shield Recharge Delay is a reliable constant that players can base their actions off of, not something that should be modified willy nilly.  Player actions are what should feel random, not core mechanics.  

Do you think Halo should feature Healthpacks in general?  I see them as an unnecessary hinderance.  I know they influence player movement which is good but I feel like they do it for the wrong reasons.  If I am going for a pick-up, I want to gain new abilities, new attacks, not just recover the health I spawned with.  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

I am not a fan of disabling base player abilities, especially one as important as shield recharge through something as trivial as a weapon attack (ie not some big Map Event that knocks everyone’s shields off for a minute).  

Shield Recharge Delay is a reliable constant that players can base their actions off of, not something that should be modified willy nilly.  Player actions are what should feel random, not core mechanics.  

Do you think Halo should feature Healthpacks in general?  I see them as an unnecessary hinderance.  I know they influence player movement which is good but I feel like they do it for the wrong reasons.  If I am going for a pick-up, I want to gain new abilities, new attacks, not just recover the health I spawned with.  

i like layered health systems, like the titans from tf1 is a good example, they can only recharge to a certain threshold after getting them down, but you can still technically come back 

11 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

So, a long range taser that ticks shields only damage for an extended duration, say 10 seconds?

28 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

So, a long range taser that ticks shields only damage for an extended duration, say 10 seconds?

the difference between 6 seconds and 10 is too small, at least 30, but maybe even indefinitely until they get a health pack 

2 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

the difference between 6 seconds and 10 is too small, at least 30, but maybe even indefinitely until they get a health pack 

Don't forget that the shield recharge delay is started at the last tick of damage, so it's 16 seconds total, not 10. This is literally just the shield drain but attached to someone, so there isn't much you can do about it: either endure its duration and avoid conflict, be smart with geometry and weapon choice to fight against your opponent while obscured from their line of sight, or book it for a health pack. You only have 3 distinct options due to how it is attached to the player, and forcing the player to use a health pack removes one of those options (the most cowardly option, I'll admit), lowering that down to 2 options: Kill and heal later, or heal now. This is a bit more of a forceful debuff of a player, so I don't know how annoying fighting against this grenade/weapon/equipment would be, but this is what I would go with for initial testing purposes:

- 12 second tick duration (add 6 seconds for shield recharge delay, 18 seconds total)

- thrown equipment with a similar velocity and arch to throwing knives in other FPS games, requiring direct impact

- doesn't immediately remove shields, instead doing a flat 5 damage 10 times a seconds

- if a piece of geometry is deliberately exposed metal, deal same damage to players on said surface when this is attached

I feel that this design helps bring more utility to this tool in that it both functions as a way to zone and harshly limit the other player's options. This allows for in the moment and preemptive decisions to work for this weapon. This all assumes that the TTK of the game is still over a second (ugh), so take this with a grain of salt.

I wish there was a script in this game to enable/disable fog settings 

This is the outside vibe I want, (name is the black dunes) but then my interiors flood with near fog 

(not a core map)

3E69A19D-953E-4F95-BF96-4F08050EE764.thumb.png.5530615b42f3c83340903da99155f86f.png
A32C8321-F22E-4A2F-970C-6916E54D9856.thumb.png.1c71c1526e3aea984e1c4c8f0f92ad10.png

E6D0B511-CEC6-4767-9C1A-82E4D8CCD848.thumb.png.47af2d2e91d80cf6ef9c99fd236f8334.png

98332549-9D28-4D80-8346-6CEB809EBE64.thumb.png.8047acf99b4a9e44a764f9a4fd51a51c.png

Inside with no near fog vs near fog 

A93CB498-7969-4412-9B0B-254BBE037AF7.thumb.png.7aeec80b2c51d7f825afa4042f9638ca.png

C5078742-6BC7-4208-8AA9-95776B11761A.thumb.png.3a48484842e169248f501743d05aab12.png

476B1ABC-5ED9-47E9-B04D-83CAE1BA828C.thumb.png.446b61567751b8478c7bf0a76ed88cc9.png

34A793A5-8778-48A8-AA8D-107EC100635D.thumb.png.e206ec3532ea3bab19371384ab3539da.png

C7B7D242-A9B4-4342-9A60-34089E4DDE6F.thumb.png.401cfeb58d096f1721d5c998dd3edde2.png

the last one is near fog on and it brightens all the interiors when they are supposed to be near pitch dark (none of the lighting is actually done yet) and if I disable near fog then the outside becomes more bleh to me 

(Below)

5AA0FE0A-FEC6-43D1-A604-C986C9AC6B12.thumb.png.4f0d9af37eaf6f3f58236d107414b30d.png

3E69A19D-953E-4F95-BF96-4F08050EE764.thumb.png.5530615b42f3c83340903da99155f86f.png

F373E118-A7AB-4C1C-BFB1-CD780CB69114.thumb.png.a0a0b31724951209935821af0ad06d49.png

meuahhhhhhhhh halo Infinite 

10 hours ago, Kantalope said:

A concept I have been exploring is damaging health underneath the shield layer.  

One method of accomplishing this phenomenon is through Impalement.  Once the target has been skewered, his shields can recharge but his underlying health will drain to nothing over the next 15 seconds.  Since the target knows his death is inevitable, he is encouraging to fight, go out in a blaze of glory.  

Compared to an attack that forces the target to retreat to a health pack, I prefer the aggro version.  We are trying promote conflict between players, right?  Isn’t the entire point of recharging shields to prevent exactly the situation you are trying to create here, where players are forced to retreat because the situation is unwinnable without a health pack?  

9 hours ago, Kantalope said:

This all assumes that the TTK of the game is still over a second (ugh), so take this with a grain of salt.

What do you think the ideal killtime for the competitive utility weapon is?  

9 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

unknown.png

nice did you make this on ipad pro? /s

nah jk those 4 buttons at the top make it look like an ipad app or something

i mean unreal is no better if you dont know what they mean so.

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

A concept I have been exploring is damaging health underneath the shield layer.  

One method of accomplishing this phenomenon is through Impalement.  Once the target has been skewered, his shields can recharge but his underlying health will drain to nothing over the next 15 seconds.  Since the target knows his death is inevitable, he is encouraging to fight, go out in a blaze of glory.  

Compared to an attack that forces the target to retreat to a health pack, I prefer the aggro version.  We are trying promote conflict between players, right?  Isn’t the entire point of recharging shields to prevent exactly the situation you are trying to create here, where players are forced to retreat because the situation is unwinnable without a health pack?  

What do you think the ideal killtime for the competitive utility weapon is?  

Tbh I absolutely hate any weapon that guarantees a kill within a set amount of time. Wouldn't the player who fired the weapon just play mouse until their kill is finished? If they kill the impaled player with another weapon before said impalement kills them, what is the point of the impaling mechanic? It may encourage the player it affects to, like you said, go out in a blaze of glory, but that only really means they have only one option for success/removal. It's an "aggro me or else" mechanic that make the player engage: either getting the kill or getting their death over with. They can't deny the enemy a pick-up without exclusively burning it. Basically, this becomes an annoyance for those affected rather than allowing for any interesting counter-play, plus, this mechanic can guarantee wins if your opponent is one kill away from winning.

To help bring interplay with this idea, I would have this weapon deal a full 150% of the player's health over 22.5 seconds (kills in 15 seconds if untreated), though this time is fairly arbitrary at the conceptual stage. Have health packs still heal the player to full health (or only a portion) so that the player can recover some of that health, but it would be unhelpful if picked up outside of a limited window of time, encouraging aggro from both players for their own reasons: prevent the impaled player from getting any heals within that safe window of time -or- kill the other player before they can prevent your survival. It creates the same frantic, aggressive energy as that of what you were intending while allowing the players to have more decisions, and those decisions are based on where the level designer places the health packs or other healing effects.

Oh, and I prefer quick TTKs for hard-to-use utility weapons. Something like a 0.6 to 0.8 second TTK with a handgun that can't be zoomed-in with. Hell, make the player always have it on person as a third, non-removable weapon.

11 hours ago, Kantalope said:

It creates the same frantic, aggressive energy as that of what you were intending while allowing the players to have more decisions, and those decisions are based on where the level designer places the health packs or other healing effects.

Yes, there could be something to a poison/antidote mechanic.  Thanks for this take.  

I prefer quick TTKs for hard-to-use utility weapons. Something like a 0.6 to 0.8 second TTK with a handgun that can't be zoomed-in with.

Why no scope on the utility?  

Hell, make the player always have it on person as a third, non-removable weapon.

The ramifications of this mechanical change would ripple throughout the sandbox’s design.  If Spartans have a Magnum as their undroppable third weapon, what would Elites carry?  Do all Elites have an undroppable third weapon or just high ranking ones?  A Magnum can be reloaded but a battery-operated weapon cannot.  What use is an undroppable third weapon with 0% battery?  

14 hours ago, Boyo said:

Yes, there could be something to a poison/antidote mechanic.  Thanks for this take.  

Why no scope on the utility?  

The ramifications of this mechanical change would ripple throughout the sandbox’s design.  If Spartans have a Magnum as their undroppable third weapon, what would Elites carry?  Do all Elites have an undroppable third weapon or just high ranking ones?  A Magnum can be reloaded but a battery-operated weapon cannot.  What use is an undroppable third weapon with 0% battery?  

I keep forgetting that the focus of this conversation is Halo lol, not just Halo-like games that could exist. The sidearm idea is meant for human-vs-human gameplay where there's always a utility weapon that is fairly reliable as a clean up tool but generally outclassed by the rest of the sandbox. The main reason for this change is so that more interesting ideas of weapons can exist in the normal two weapon slots that allows a player to pick up a sniper and a good zoning weapon so that they can coax enemy players into longer sightlines while still being able to try and finish them off with the sidearm. Implementing this into Halo would result in yet another redundant precision weapon, so I do NOT want this in Halo. It just exacerbates my main problem with Halo multiplayer.

I can understand the argument that the sidearm has a great use in that it helps players conserve ammo in the power weapon that they pick up, and that would warrant it still having a scope for more consistent long-range pickings. Sometimes it feels like I just like the idea of always having a big iron on my hip and that the problem of the 'utility weapon' being too dominant/prevalent in gameplay isn't such a big deal, but all 4v4 matches just end up being annoying and constant BR spam, so I much rather try something different first. Also, player count can help relieve this BR spam problem, such as playing 1v1/2v2 matches on specifically 1v1/2v2 designed maps, but that's probably because 4v4 is normally designed around push-pull gameplay rather than any interesting 'dances' that you see in almost every 1v1/2v2 map that has come from this forum's members. This dance has more room for interesting weapon designs from what I've experienced (I almost got a gungoose to work in 1v1/2v2 a few years ago).

Posted (edited)

The sidearm idea is meant for human-vs-human gameplay where there's always a utility weapon that is fairly reliable as a clean up tool but generally outclassed by the rest of the sandbox.

A weapon that is good for cleaning up kills but is generally outclassed by the rest of the sandbox is not a Utility Weapon.  That type of cleanup weapon falls in line with the traditional definition of a Sidearm, a close range pistol that you switch to when your primary machine gun needs to be reloaded.  Halo flips this pistol/rifle relationship on its head.  The semi auto Magnum pistol is the powerful primary while the AR, a machine gun, is the weaker cleanup secondary.  

Implementing this into Halo would result in yet another redundant precision weapon, so I do NOT want this in Halo. It just exacerbates my main problem with Halo multiplayer

If reducing the number of redundant precision weapons is the goal, making the human sidearm a true utility weapon would be a great first step in concentrating all utilitarian weapons into one master utility weapon.  

Sometimes it feels like I just like the idea of always having a big iron on my hip and that the problem of the 'utility weapon' being too dominant/prevalent in gameplay isn't such a big deal, but all 4v4 matches just end up being annoying and constant BR spam, so I much rather try something different first.

If players cannot defend themselves off spawn, due to their spawn weapon being significantly less effective than pick-up weapons, the outcome of the match will be largely decided by who secures those pick-up weapons first then abuses those weapons’ range advantages against the enemies’ scopeless spawn weapon.  

Also, player count can help relieve this BR spam problem, such as playing 1v1/2v2 matches on specifically 1v1/2v2 designed maps, but that's probably because 4v4 is normally designed around push-pull gameplay rather than any interesting 'dances' that you see in almost every 1v1/2v2 map that has come from this forum's members. This dance has more room for interesting weapon designs from what I've experienced (I almost got a gungoose to work in 1v1/2v2 a few years ago).

Smaller maps with lower player counts do not benefit from the placement of top tier power weapons like 4v4 and up do.  The “power weapons” on a 1v1/2v2 map need to be more nuanced (as to not create boring gameplay from OP power weapons).  Are there any unique weapon designs that you feel could only really shine in smaller player count matches?  

Edited by Boyo