Back on topic for just one post, this is what I've been working on for a couple weeks

ro6Kjfx.jpg

Low quality, I know, but whatever. It's the dresser my brother and I grew up with, and I completely refinished it prompted by the remodeling of what used to be my brothers room. This dresser used to be a light brown color with all sorts of ugly factory aging, covered with bunch of holes that obviously fit the same pattern of whatever stencil was used. Heavy grain, finished with high gloss lacquer. The build quality is great, but the look was a big yikes, so, we painted, distressed, glazed, and finished the entire thing. Every mark and all of the wood showing through in the final product was placed there intentionally. For those interested, the process went as follows:

First, I wiped the whole thing down with liquid sandpaper to give the finished surface grip. Then, I filled the holes, scratches and dents (there were a ton) with multiple coats of putty, sanding after each. Next I painted the entire thing (shelves done separately) with a semi-gloss latex in Loch blue. That name of the color won't mean anything as each paint supplier names their own colors, but it was a vibrant, almost baby blue. However, if you were to put the color up against a true blue, you would've noticed green in the color, but not without that comparison.

Anyways, two coats of blue, sanding in-between. Next, I went around with a palm sander and distressed the edges, corners, and certain faces all over the piece. Next, everything I painted received a first coat of glaze (it was actually a brown stain). Thin it down, brush it on, wipe most of it off, almost buffing it, then blend with an ox hair brush. This will petina the paint and give it an aged look, as well as revealing the targeted distressing (anywhere you see the light, almost orange color of the wood). Also, if I were to use a higher gloss paint, the stain would just wipe off instead of biting into the texture. Next, everything received a coat of polyurethane. Once that dries, we sand the poly and go over the now sealed layer of petina with a second coat of stain, applying it in the corners and edges and blending it out. Layering the stain like this keeps the finish super smooth, and creates an almost 3 dimensional effect. We're not trying to make the furniture look dirty, just old and real.

Finally, another coat of poly, and the piece was done. While we're here, before I did anything with this finish, I took the handles and knobs and washed them with soapy water, just to clean them. They were a gunmetal grey, so almost black which would've been fine, but the cheap chinese laqcuer reacted with the soap and cracked in the water, which revealed the metal below and accidentally made the hardware look amazing. That wasn't at all intentional, but getting your finish to crack is a common tool for aging furniture like this. It looks like fresco cracks in person. So, almost every step required at least one full 24 hour day to dry, and for both coats of the glaze, two days. And that's it.

I love doing stuff like this, and for those who don't know, this is the sort of work I do with my father as a day job. In fact, we just concluded a 9 month job finishing almost every piece of furniture in Bob Brinkmans house, the CEO and founder of Brinkman construction. He built a brand new house and office on 600 acres of mountainous land, and we got there while the walls were still being put up, and it's essentially done now. We did the cabinets for 3 kitchens (one of which was so big it's literally its own building) around 60 bookshelves of varying widths, all around 8 feet tall, like 15 vanities (because everyone needs 15 bathrooms) probably around 40 oversized walnut doors, a custom TV cabinet with a motorized rising and lowering tv mount, and like a million other random things. We even chemically aged like 60 brand new outdoors copper lights that are scattered throughout what I could only relate to be a southern plantation but bigger. Here's a video for reference. It's impossible to capture this place without being there, but this should help. This is just the main kitchen, and everything you see we did. The brown tables, the red cabinets, the yellow cabinets, everything. Mute the video if you don't wanna hear breathing. Again, it's bad quality lmao

So, that's literally what I've been working on

that and a comprehensive exposition on Halo in video format that covers every aspect of the franchise from a design standpoint that would be like 1.5 hours long but whatever that's not important

37 minutes ago, Westin said:

Back on topic for just one post, this is what I've been working on for a couple weeks

ro6Kjfx.jpg

Low quality, I know, but whatever. It's the dresser my brother and I grew up with, and I completely refinished it prompted by the remodeling of what used to be my brothers room. This dresser used to be a light brown color with all sorts of ugly factory aging, covered with bunch of holes that obviously fit the same pattern of whatever stencil was used. Heavy grain, finished with high gloss lacquer. The build quality is great, but the look was a big yikes, so, we painted, distressed, glazed, and finished the entire thing. Every mark and all of the wood showing through in the final product was placed there intentionally. For those interested, the process went as follows:

First, I wiped the whole thing down with liquid sandpaper to give the finished surface grip. Then, I filled the holes, scratches and dents (there were a ton) with multiple coats of putty, sanding after each. Next I painted the entire thing (shelves done separately) with a semi-gloss latex in Loch blue. That name of the color won't mean anything as each paint supplier names their own colors, but it was a vibrant, almost baby blue. However, if you were to put the color up against a true blue, you would've noticed green in the color, but not without that comparison.

Anyways, two coats of blue, sanding in-between. Next, I went around with a palm sander and distressed the edges, corners, and certain faces all over the piece. Next, everything I painted received a first coat of glaze (it was actually a brown stain). Thin it down, brush it on, wipe most of it off, almost buffing it, then blend with an ox hair brush. This will petina the paint and give it an aged look, as well as revealing the targeted distressing (anywhere you see the light, almost orange color of the wood). Also, if I were to use a higher gloss paint, the stain would just wipe off instead of biting into the texture. Next, everything received a coat of polyurethane. Once that dries, we sand the poly and go over the now sealed layer of petina with a second coat of stain, applying it in the corners and edges and blending it out. Layering the stain like this keeps the finish super smooth, and creates an almost 3 dimensional effect. We're not trying to make the furniture look dirty, just old and real.

Finally, another coat of poly, and the piece was done. While we're here, before I did anything with this finish, I took the handles and knobs and washed them with soapy water, just to clean them. They were a gunmetal grey, so almost black which would've been fine, but the cheap chinese laqcuer reacted with the soap and cracked in the water, which revealed the metal below and accidentally made the hardware look amazing. That wasn't at all intentional, but getting your finish to crack is a common tool for aging furniture like this. It looks like fresco cracks in person. So, almost every step required at least one full 24 hour day to dry, and for both coats of the glaze, two days. And that's it.

I love doing stuff like this, and for those who don't know, this is the sort of work I do with my father as a day job. In fact, we just concluded a 9 month job finishing almost every piece of furniture in Bob Brinkmans house, the CEO and founder of Brinkman construction. He built a brand new house and office on 600 acres of mountainous land, and we got there while the walls were still being put up, and it's essentially done now. We did the cabinets for 3 kitchens (one of which was so big it's literally its own building) around 60 bookshelves of varying widths, all around 8 feet tall, like 15 vanities (because everyone needs 15 bathrooms) probably around 40 oversized walnut doors, a custom TV cabinet with a motorized rising and lowering tv mount, and like a million other random things. We even chemically aged like 60 brand new outdoors copper lights that are scattered throughout what I could only relate to be a southern plantation but bigger. Here's a video for reference. It's impossible to capture this place without being there, but this should help. This is just the main kitchen, and everything you see we did. The brown tables, the red cabinets, the yellow cabinets, everything. Mute the video if you don't wanna hear breathing. Again, it's bad quality lmao

that and a comprehensive exposition on Halo in video format that covers every aspect of the franchise from a design standpoint that would be like 1.5 hours long but whatever that's not important

Good work, I initially thought the pic was a render 😂

2 hours ago, Westin said:

ro6Kjfx.jpg

Holy FUCKBALLS I seriously thought that was a render too lmao

Fantastic work though! I feel like if I had more time, I'd definitely wanna get into woodworking. I watch videos of it from time to time and it seems like an incredibly rewarding skill.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Jack0Knife
Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/jackknife
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/charles-kucharzak/
'Folio: https://www.ck-ld.com/

"Art is the process of assigning meaning." - Unknown

FYI, for those of you that aren't in the NLD Discord, if you're already using Discord it's probably worth your while to join.  The site and the Discord are now a bit more fully integrated.  Anytime something is posted on the site, a notification will be given on Discord instantaneously.  Still need to work out a few kinks, but it seems to be working for the most part.  WAYWO posts are definitely showing up.  :classic_biggrin:

Here's a link to join the Discord: https://t.co/hkxwVml0Dp

20 minutes ago, a Chunk said:

Thoughts on Halo Reach releasing on PC in 2 weeks?

Reach is an awful game and people will remember that instantly.

The mouse aiming is terrible. 343 is 3 for 3 with straight Halo games with broken aiming.

It will die quickly. 

3 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

Reach is an awful game and people will remember that instantly.

The mouse aiming is terrible. 343 is 3 for 3 with straight Halo games with broken aiming.

It will die quickly. 

h4 wasn't that bad was it?

TiavQEl.jpg

I thought aiming was pretty decent in H4, if you discount stupid stuff like the Beam Rifle. Definitely wouldn't say aiming was 'broken' in H4.

I'd say the same of H2A.  It wasn't perfect, but definitely not broken.  In MCC, H1, H2, and H1 could all probably be categorized as broken. I don't know who owns the blame on that, but ultimately it had 343's stamp on it.  H5 aiming is broken.  So, kind of a mixed bag to me. 

But by virtually all accounts the M&K aiming has not been good in any of the flighting versions of Reach PC. The thought of it launching before it's fixed seriously bothers me, especially considering the state of MCC when it launched on XB1.  I seem to recall it being said that it will launch 'when it's ready'.  Doesn't sound like it's ready to me.  Hope I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

h4 wasn't that bad was it?

2 hours ago, a Chunk said:

I thought aiming was pretty decent in H4, if you discount stupid stuff like the Beam Rifle. Definitely wouldn't say aiming was 'broken' in H4.

I'd say the same of H2A.  It wasn't perfect, but definitely not broken.  In MCC, H1, H2, and H1 could all probably be categorized as broken. I don't know who owns the blame on that, but ultimately it had 343's stamp on it.  H5 aiming is broken.  So, kind of a mixed bag to me. 

But by virtually all accounts the M&K aiming has not been good in any of the flighting versions of Reach PC. The thought of it launching before it's fixed seriously bothers me, especially considering the state of MCC when it launched on XB1.  I seem to recall it being said that it will launch 'when it's ready'.  Doesn't sound like it's ready to me.  Hope I'm wrong.

I was referring to MCC, Halo 5, and now this. Halo 4 aiming was really good and done by CA

I think its funny how the devs are still trying so hard to capture what made H1s camapign so magical. First with Halo 4, and now even more blatantly with infinite to the point where they are completely breaking off of canon just to tell the same crash land on mysterious planet/ halo ring narritive. I'm not even complaining, i love that setting, but its like, no shame. Bungie did that with reach and it wasnt the same, but still redeamable imo, i liked reach's story

TiavQEl.jpg

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

It's crazy how far games have come. Almost like real life footage. On a side note, it's probably the next biggest level with such detail richness out there.

Actually, I'm not into flight simulators at all, let alone simulators in general, but this game? Damn, I might just pick it up because of the views. Did I talk about the realistic looking dynamic weather?

2 hours ago, Buddy Jumps said:

Has anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCBgO6St9ug

It's crazy how far games have come. Almost like real life footage. On a side note, it's probably the next biggest level with such detail richness out there.

Actually, I'm not into flight simulators at all, let alone simulators in general, but this game? Damn, I might just pick it up because of the views. Did I talk about the realistic looking dynamic weather?

I think it looks cool, it will be something fun me and my wife can do together for a while, but eventually the novelty will wear off

TiavQEl.jpg

On 11/16/2019 at 9:36 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

I think its funny how the devs are still trying so hard to capture what made H1s camapign so magical. First with Halo 4, and now even more blatantly with infinite to the point where they are completely breaking off of canon just to tell the same crash land on mysterious planet/ halo ring narritive. I'm not even complaining, i love that setting, but its like, no shame. Bungie did that with reach and it wasnt the same, but still redeamable imo, i liked reach's story

There was no crashland or mysterious planet in Reach. The closest thing to that is the forerunner artifact Halsey is researching, and that only factors in for a level or two.

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

There was no crashland or mysterious planet in Reach. The closest thing to that is the forerunner artifact Halsey is researching, and that only factors in for a level or two.

Yeah, still they said in a devlog somewhere they where trying to capture the same spirit of the first game with reach, and i think that was communicated pretty clearly with the delivery of the first level

Oh man just remembering that bit where you and jorge go into the dark room and he shuts the door and the music is building up and you think an invisable elite is going to jump out at some point, that was soooo good, such great delivery. One of my more memorable moments playing the campaign

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

TiavQEl.jpg