No map is going to be great at every gametype and player-count.  Maps should be designed for a single, specific player-count.  The gametypes played on that category of map should be tailored to produce the desired experience.  Where Oddball is best at 4v4, Ricochet flourishes at 6v6.  

Asymmetric, attack/defend gametypes make maps like Zanzibar, Burial Mounds, and Headlong shine but the experience is fundamentally different from arena’s bare-bones, equal, fair, symmetric play.  The maps and gametypes should not only reflect but accentuate those differences between experiences.  

The best way to create multiple, strong experiences is to have minimal base player abilities surrounded by a plethora of distinct, modular sandbox items ie an armor ability slot instead of a sprint base ability.  

did yall see marcus lehto shit on 343? he said 343 "ruined halo" and "343 are bad" /s

nah but he pretty much says they would have done some things similar and some things different to what 343 did with the franchise

Edited by JB_

The stream will be short because of the reworks to the weapon and player component scripts are taking longer to finish than I'd like. The next stream two Sundays from now should have a significant increase in content to share. Today will primarily be about what what we intend to make. See you in the Stream voice chat in the NLD Discord @9:00pm EST!

2 hours ago, Kantalope said:

The stream will be short because of the reworks to the weapon and player component scripts are taking longer to finish than I'd like. The next stream two Sundays from now should have a significant increase in content to share. Today will primarily be about what what we intend to make. See you in the Stream voice chat in the NLD Discord @9:00pm EST!

That was a nice stream! I hope that more than, uh, zero people join in next time :')

halo 5 forge on PC is such an abortion... there's no way to even quit the game when you're on the menu.

NO WAY OUT... unless I'm really blind (which is possible) I had to alt+F4.

I even opened it again to check if there was something I missed. nah. WTF, what a huge oversight.

Tho now I dont know why i'm bitching cause alt+f4 is just faster anyway 🤔

Edited by JB_

Got to play Splitgate for a little while. Feels rather nice to shoot the weapons, maps don't seem as standard as the other shooters.

Portal system is a welcome cerebral aspect, though I'm expecting to experience the negative effects of it as I play more.

At least the sandbox is clean.

3 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Got to play Splitgate for a little while. Feels rather nice to shoot the weapons, maps don't seem as standard as the other shooters.

Portal system is a welcome cerebral aspect, though I'm expecting to experience the negative effects of it as I play more.

I think the general lack of popularity has lead to the portal meta in that game to not being as cancerous as it could be. Because the player base hasn't ever been large enough to really push the games limits. Game probably would have been more popular if the art style wasn't hot garbage. But that combined with arguably convoluted combat has chased most basic bitch modern gamers away. Really only arena heads and Halo clone chasers remain in it's population. I really think the games popularity was hurt most by the art style of it more than anything. The game is quite ugly and I am pretty certain at this point that most people let art influence their opinions on design more than they even know, our egos just don't let us see it. One of my reasons has to do with the fact that I have seen maps people think are all around great maps but in reality if it was just blocks they would hate it. In fact I am pretty sure with some people you could take maps that have completely different layouts beyond aesthetic and you turned them into blockouts people would think they are the same and these people are "designers" supposedly. Level/Game design is hilarious.

6 hours ago, purely fat said:

I think the general lack of popularity has lead to the portal meta in that game to not being as cancerous as it could be. Because the player base hasn't ever been large enough to really push the games limits. Game probably would have been more popular if the art style wasn't hot garbage. But that combined with arguably convoluted combat has chased most basic bitch modern gamers away. Really only arena heads and Halo clone chasers remain in it's population. I really think the games popularity was hurt most by the art style of it more than anything. The game is quite ugly and I am pretty certain at this point that most people let art influence their opinions on design more than they even know, our egos just don't let us see it. One of my reasons has to do with the fact that I have seen maps people think are all around great maps but in reality if it was just blocks they would hate it. In fact I am pretty sure with some people you could take maps that have completely different layouts beyond aesthetic and you turned them into blockouts people would think they are the same and these people are "designers" supposedly. Level/Game design is hilarious.

21009.jpg

21 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

ill play with you if its cross play 💩

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png