Jump to content

Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, TheLunarRaptor said:

I've always wanted a BTB map that is extremely vertical. A lot, if not nearly all btb maps in Halo are very flat.

 

Like a base wedged between giant glaciers. Imagine going off a man cannon that shoots you like 200ft in the air up to the levels you want, maybe im a goldfish but I really like teleporters and man cannons, hell i like map gimmicks in general.

You rang?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TheLunarRaptor said:

I've always wanted a BTB map that is extremely vertical. A lot, if not nearly all btb maps in Halo are very flat.

 

Like a base wedged between giant glaciers. Imagine going off a man cannon that shoots you like 200ft in the air up to the levels you want, maybe im a goldfish but I really like teleporters and man cannons, hell i like map gimmicks in general.

Would this vertical map feature any player controlled movement abilities to aid in summiting it?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Would this vertical map feature any player controlled movement abilities to aid in summiting it?  

It would be a challenge for sure, I wouldn't want too much grapple hook (Halo Infinite) or overuse of abilities because that feels like a cheap way of fixing the flaw of areas potentially being too treacherous or hard to get to.

 

It would be a fine balance of teleporters, man cannons, and having fun ways to drive vehicles around, I would like to experiment with including a vehicle accomadating teleporters on roadways, I think it could have fun results if it doesn't feel janky . Unlike players it's kind of hard to camp a teleporter for a fast moving warthog and come on top (given your anti vehicle weapons aren't broken and shit like the splaser).

 

There would be a lot of man cannons and teleporters, but not an utterly absurd amount. Just enough to make it so people with high ground don't absolutely STOMP on people below. I think terrain angles would be everything, id want people super high up to have to make themselves pretty vulnerable (but not a free kill) if they're trying to go after targets far below.

 

Im just throwing ideas around, I already know 5 doesn't have the budget for it to be what id want.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Don't do it like Spire, and you're not far.

I really wish I could like spire. But the non spire half of the map is just dreadful. 

 

Spawning players at the bottom of a hill without giving them at LEAST a weaponry advantage is megamind game design.

 

And for the spire itself, I love defending it, but oh man does it suck for attackers, its almost entirely dependent on the falcon to not be unbearable.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What's so difficult about this:

 

Ranks for Ranked, based on match performance and W/L seeds

Credits based on match performance for use on battlepass items like charms, special armor or weapon or vehicle decals, emblems, nameplates, special fx...

Achievements and challenges for major cosmetic unlocks - armor pieces, cores, exclusive special fx or hidden items....

 

Oh, that's right, the entire 'games as a service' model is what's wrong. If you target 'live service' as a primary, then you cannot actually make a game that requires players to be invested in playing the game and getting better at it and tracking their performance objectively, you just need a 'platform' that lets players purchase their way to 'self-expression'. It's the lowest possible bar of entry to the market of 'live service'. Just like your cable connections are a 'live service', technically - you pay for access to a platform with 'evolving content', which is comprised mostly of prior hits, things that vaguely remind you of things you used to like, and muddled remakes and reimaginings of beloved properties. 

 

image.png.66f8de948a45df7a6f0f026f6b263e0d.png

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

What's so difficult about this:

 

Ranks for Ranked, based on match performance and W/L seeds

Credits based on match performance for use on battlepass items like charms, special armor or weapon or vehicle decals, emblems, nameplates, special fx...

Achievements and challenges for major cosmetic unlocks - armor pieces, cores, exclusive special fx or hidden items....

 

Oh, that's right, the entire 'games as a service' model is what's wrong. If you target 'live service' as a primary, then you cannot actually make a game that requires players to be invested in playing the game and getting better at it and tracking their performance objectively, you just need a 'platform' that lets players purchase their way to 'self-expression'. It's the lowest possible bar of entry to the market of 'live service'. Just like your cable connections are a 'live service', technically - you pay for access to a platform with 'evolving content', which is comprised mostly of prior hits, things that vaguely remind you of things you used to like, and muddled remakes and reimaginings of beloved properties. 

 

image.png.66f8de948a45df7a6f0f026f6b263e0d.png

 

 

am i missing something in your point? because i dont see ftp/ live service as being mutually exclusive with ranked modes where they do track your stats objectively, fundamentally speaking you can have both co exist and it be fine. I actually like the free to pay model, it's a win win for the players and developers if done right

 

now the BATTLE PASS  and item RARITY sucks because its a linear progression system that takes out the meaning you get from personal style and choice in exchange for the flavor of the month/fad/ NEW STUFF. And the associated 'anime' effect where everything has to scale up in craziness moving forward, which was fine in fortnite where everything started off as crazy but is not a good look for halo

 

The choice to make you only rank up a BP from challenges is DOG, i think they will change it though because everyone is complaining and 343 bends over backwards to whoever the loudest group is

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

am i missing something in your point? because i dont see ftp/ live service as being mutually exclusive with ranked modes where they do track your stats objectively, fundamentally speaking you can have both co exist and it be fine. I actually like the free to pay model, it's a win win for the players and developers if done right

 

now the BATTLE PASS  and item RARITY sucks because its a linear progression system that takes out the meaning you get from personal style and choice in exchange for the flavor of the month/fad/ NEW STUFF. And the associated 'anime' effect where everything has to scale up in craziness moving forward, which was fine in fortnite where everything started off as crazy but is not a good look for halo

 

The choice to make you only rank up a BP from challenges is DOG, i think they will change it though because everyone is complaining and 343 bends over backwards to whoever the loudest group is

 

No, free to play and objective ranking is not mutually exclusive. But there is something about the free-to-play option that is attractive to the business people and/or developers who want to make a quick buck - which in turn disincentivizes studios from producing something tight, which includes the scoring systems, the tracking systems, the gameplay systems, animation systems, etc.

 

That's what creates the 'live service model' that is currently industry standard, the 'anime effect' as you put it. Of course it takes more than two to line-dance, so there are other factors like the issue of many game-players not wanting to get good at a game, and the business end looking at the numbers and saying "well they don't really want to play, they just want a subjective experience that reaffirms their beliefs" etc.... but the key issue is that the profitability of the gaming industry has been studied, and the data shows that microtransaction-driven experiences with a short-time-horizon investment over long-term exposure to an ecosystem are what are the most profitable - not coherent, contained, integrated game systems - and not even because the live-service games are actually profitable but because they retain copyrights, they get the news out there, they attract to the ecosystem, they fill space, they make investors (laymen and the professionally ignorant) happy through the mere expenditure of energy in whatever effort. And profit, more than anything, is what drives business.

 

I don't think profit is a bad thing. Profit is good. Profit is incentive, it is reward, it is (supposed to be) objective - but profit motive alone is not enough to ensure that businesspeople and businesses will make smart or moral decisions. The 'anime effect' live service model is untenable in its own right because the insanity eventually reaches a point of total breach with reality, in that the experience becomes unbelievable, literally. The ride has to stop at some point, there has to be a climax and a resolution, some payoff.

 

However, narrative experiences - games, shows, books -  that cater to this continual scaling of insanity benefit from political, cultural, societal, behavioral, psychological trends that prop it up beyond the point of collapse. It is like environmentally induced narrative viagra, without the risk of pregnancy. So there is no climax, there is no resolution, there is no payoff - just a constant churn towards.........

 

                                                                   .........terminal velocity........

 

                                                                                              ..........that never comes.............

 

                                                                                                                     ..........because even if it does hit that wall the effects aren't noticed on the balance sheets and the 'buying public' has forgotten about it and reverted to their prior yearnings as if it had never even happened to begin with...............

 

Which in itself is indicative of the lack of sound principles of literature (aesthetics), business (epistemology, ethics, politics) and research (metaphysics, epistemology) on the part of every party involved in the dance. 

 

Edit: which is also why 343 will never not bend over backwards and goatse themselves for the loudest group of 'fans' who vacillate between irrational hatred of the products of those decisions because 'muh nonspecific nostalgia' and rabid defense of their inane decisions because 'muh fiction' or 'they're trying', resulting in a pile of epic proportions.

 

image.png.0746a8a58f3d26f15132d0b2f297b20a.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Xzamplez said:

Halo would be a better game without regenerating shields.

Wouldn’t this punish the winner of an engagement?  His enemy gets full health off respawn while the victor is left one shot?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Wouldn’t this punish the winner of an engagement?  His enemy gets full health off respawn while the victor is left one shot?  

Yes, if you’re only looking at a single engagement. But, it would greatly favor the better player over a series of engagements, or over the course of a full game. 

I personally think it would change the game too much, even if it is a change for the better, for me to still consider it ‘Halo’.  At least for the core player counts. 


I would love to have more control over the functioning of health and shields though. I think the 1v1 experience in particular could be drastically improved were we given that capability. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When time heals all wounds, players are free to seek out pick-ups that enhance base traits, not simply restores them like health packs.  
 

I could see non-recharging health/no health packs working in a game that only gave the player three lives but each life was an enormous amount of health, losing one is extremely significant.  

Edited by Boyo
Link to post
Share on other sites

Re. Development:

 

 

This guy makes some good points about development cycles and what’s reasonable to expect. The horizon franchise has been doing quite well the last few years and has even implemented features we forge people would be familiar with. Those new features are being released on launch, fully functional, with new content meant to supplement and deepen the sandbox over the game’s lifespan.... which is distinct from releasing half-finished title without the features that define that title. Forza is the new flagship!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

Re. Development:

 

 

This guy makes some good points about development cycles and what’s reasonable to expect. The horizon franchise has been doing quite well the last few years and has even implemented features we forge people would be familiar with. Those new features are being released on launch, fully functional, with new content meant to supplement and deepen the sandbox over the game’s lifespan.... which is distinct from releasing half-finished title without the features that define that title. Forza is the new flagship!

 

The fact I can make this is proof that Forza is a flagship.

 

Hell, this van doesn't just appeal to just kids, id be abducted too. Id love some pizza right now.

IMG_9817.jpg

Edited by TheLunarRaptor
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let the idiots buy their dumb skins and cosmetics, (because companies will never let that shit die) but keep the big boy shit through progression only. 
 

Skins with no achievement attached to them are DOG. A player spawns in looks at his team and sees French fries, Doritos, and some other nonsense. That player has no insight whether those are competent players. Where as if at least for French fries you needed “Get champion in every playlist” the player knows his teammate is a god.

 

Another idea just to get the point across (not necessarily a good one) everyone who starts an account for ranked matchmaking starts with this extremely rusted pistol. For this example there are no additional skins available. After 50 games your pistol gets placed among 10 different shades from super rusty to pristine chrome. Your W/L ratio earns you a different shade every 10%. This would obviously continue through out a players career after being placed. 

 

Tier 1 - 0-4 Wins (Most rusted piece of shit)

Tier 2 - 5-9 Wins (Really rusted shit)

Tier 3 - 10-14 Wins (Pretty rusted shit)

Tier 4 - 15-19 Wins (Rusted shit)

Tier 5 - 20-24 Wins (Rust)

Tier 6 - 25-29 Wins (Less rusted shit)

Tier 7 - 30-34 Wins  (Void of rust shit)

Tier 8 - 35-39 Wins (Starting to shine)

Tier 9 - 40-44 Wins (Really pristine)

Tier 10 - 45-49 Wins (Most pristine chrome)


So spawning into a game with a champ teammate who has a tier 3 pistol would be fucking hilarious because apparently that can happen in halo 5


Cod 4 was pretty epic, digital, blue tiger, red tiger, gold 

 

UAV, air strike, helicopter 

 

Simple >

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

fixed*

Typically, I am with you when you say this, but this may be an exception. Halo took a core aspect of Quake (cycling the map to stack health and shield), and threw it out only having power weapons as movement incentive. It seems like a poor design decision to me. When someone knows they can lose a fight and hide for a few seconds and be back on the same ground with the person that was winning the fight, there’s something wrong with that. Losing a fight on Quake has a ripple effect, even if neither player dies. Every engagement has more significance.

 

@Boyo In Quake, it’s more the opposite. Losing a fight has a tendency to create a snowball effect, which is part of why the game has such a high skill ceiling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Halo's core would no longer work if you made shields non-regenerating alongside health. You also need to consider that the movement is more controlled, that you can only carry two weapons, and that grenades are their own supply in your arsenal.

 

Such a drastic change would be a hindrance to the overall quality of the gameplay, like Bloom, Armor Abilities, and Advanced Movement were. All of the further alteration of the game would seem foolish if all Halo really needs is a few simple tweaks to make it play well.

 

And before you ask, Boyo, those simple tweaks would be a decently strong and challenging utility weapon, a crispy strafe, and a sandbox balanced around the utility.

 

Keep Halo simple.

Edited by S0UL FLAME
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

Halo's core would no longer work if you made shields non-regenerating alongside health. You also need to consider that the movement is more controlled, that you can only carry two weapons, and that grenades are their own supply in your arsenal.

 

Such a drastic change would be a hindrance to the overall quality of the gameplay, like Bloom, Armor Abilities, and Advanced Movement were. All of the further alteration of the game would seem foolish if all Halo really needs is a few simple tweaks to make it play well.

 

And before you ask, Boyo, those simple tweaks would be a decently strong and challenging utility weapon, a crispy strafe, and a sandbox balanced around the utility.

 

Keep Halo simple.

When you’re ready to discuss issues on a deeper level than spouting drive-by platitudes allows for, I’ll be here.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...