The floor of each team’s base is a giant scale.  When the weight of four players is on the scale, a neutral power item spawns.  Off initial player spawns, one team causes Rocks to drop, the other OS.  

Spawn traps are rewarded because the controlling team uses the weight of the enemy players to spawn then secure the power items.  

10 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

I see where you are comming from in some sense because weve talked about this before, but i don't think it's the skillful part of "getting away" that people have a problem with, that can be broken down further...

When you are running away from an enemy it is because they are putting pressure on you to do so and in the interest of self preservation the player has to make a decision to run or stay and fight, if they choose to run they are going to be forced to make more decisions, and if the map is controlled enough the enemy player will try to read and predict their decisions

^ That is the skillful portion of the pffense/ defence relationship present in every halo game without sprint

NOW... that is still present to a degree in Halo games with sprint, but really the problem traditionally has been that it is always more beneficial to the player running away because you have to lower your gun to sprint, the player who is retreating doesn't care about this because he already lost and is just trying to reset the fight so he doesn't need his gun up. The offensive player on the other hand is trying to take advantage of the fact that he won that fight and attempt finish the kill, and while he can still sprint to match his speed he will have to put down his gun down and give up what was previously his EARNED advantage.

Another way to put it is that there are two phases to a fight, the gunfight and the pursuit

The gunfight is the more challenging of the two phases and the best player will usually win that

the second phase flips that on its head because getting away from a fight is easier than winning one, making it feel like your getting your previously earned victory taken from you. Sprint and bad level design and recharging shields all add to this problem

The gunfight/ pursuit split I think really only applies to games with high base movement speed and high TTK like Halo. Something like CoD rarely requires a player to chase for a kill, let alone pursue a fleeing or cover-savvy enemy player. So in those games with lower movement speed and low TTK any repositioning is going to take place before or after a gunfight ///  and it's going to depend heavily on the type of match you're playing. If it's S&D or Domination you're gonna have a lot more setting up by the defense and use of pathing to assault by offense - whereas in TDM you get your chickens running headless gameplay with the occasional camper... ergo both random movement, in waves to best catch flipping spawns, and total anti-movement; gunfights wherever they may occur with next to no predictability, or 'gunfights' that consist of a planted player picking off anyone that crosses his LoS. No chase, no development.

I'd be curious to see how this applies to a hero shooter like Overwatch, as I've never played any of those. My guess is that the different classes/abilities/movement etc. cause all kinds of weird encounters, some that are arena-like, others that are CoD-like, others that are something else entirely.

28 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

I wrote up a little design document last night and did some more detailed sketches 

C906F36E-740D-4894-9106-80FB5B33F9FC.jpeg.509634932d9dd33e2c39a2a08ce6ef3d.jpeg7CAABED1-9B04-4A5A-9699-574D613F0DEB.jpeg.5e5d3378e2130802b32516b37ece5a40.jpeg

343i where’s my money

You should honestly make a portfolio of these studies and apply as a concept artist. Check out Eddie Smith, he is basically responsible for most the human artistic vision in Halo 2. These sketches remind alot of his style. 

You can list given and colson as references. 343i needs this type  of  shit, there art direction is terribly lost. 

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

I wrote up a little design document last night and did some more detailed sketches 

C906F36E-740D-4894-9106-80FB5B33F9FC.jpeg.509634932d9dd33e2c39a2a08ce6ef3d.jpeg7CAABED1-9B04-4A5A-9699-574D613F0DEB.jpeg.5e5d3378e2130802b32516b37ece5a40.jpeg

343i where’s my money

You could show Banished Brutes using the Gravity Hammer to flatten giant rivets on their ship’s hull.  Give them a Chewy repairing the Millennium Falcon vibe and the hammer a lore purpose outside of combat.  

Inspiration:  

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Boyo

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

What do you think about ceiling-based hazards?  

spacer.png

If you're being real... Depends on communication and if the player feels they're being robbed of an experience that could've ultimately been better if they had to figure out how to avoid it. BUT... I ain't against killing players for no reason to remind then they ain't shit, especially if you can catch out someone on a spree. The unfair death of a good player is true happiness. Do you have an example of one you like/dislike? 

FatKid LD > Core LD

He hasn't got any faults, but maybe he's not perfect. But he didn't do anything.

On 10/8/2021 at 5:11 AM, SaltyKoalaBear said:

You should honestly make a portfolio of these studies and apply as a concept artist. Check out Eddie Smith, he is basically responsible for most the human artistic vision in Halo 2. These sketches remind alot of his style. 

You can list given and colson as references. 343i needs this type  of  shit, there art direction is terribly lost. 

Its true, @icyhotspartinhonestly you're a bloody good artist and I think you'd add so much vision to a game 👌

Edited by FatkidForger

FatKid LD > Core LD

He hasn't got any faults, but maybe he's not perfect. But he didn't do anything.

1 hour ago, FatkidForger said:

I ain't against killing players for no reason to remind then they ain't shit, especially if you can catch out someone on a spree. The unfair death of a good player is true happiness. Do you have an example of one you like

The original iteration of Zelda’s Wallmaster was interesting, turning the room’s perimeter into a splash zone.  

spacer.png

43 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

We are working hard getting this game all polished up for you guys to play test

The Lux Perpetua Threshold could add a sense of time, progression, and strategy to gameplay.  

Attacks fill a meter (all attacks, from any player, all fill the same meter).  Once full, something happens (map transforms in some way).  Individual battles are unaffected but now players can plan and strategize in a longer term manner ie setup for the upcoming transformation or whatever.  

35 minutes ago, Boyo said:

The original iteration of Zelda’s Wallmaster was interesting, turning the room’s perimeter into a splash zone.  

spacer.png

For sure, but then is it the dragging mechanic thats got you more interested then, like the barnacles in halflife? Because those function in a similar way. Can you get out of the Wallmaster's grip? But I think there could be a cool plant like thing, kinda like devils snare from harry potter, you can get stuck in or pulled up to and you have to move a lot to be thrown into the adjacent room instead of strangled.

FatKid LD > Core LD