Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Since the previous challenge this website held, the 1-hour mapping challenge, had a fairly decent turnout considering the site's population, what topics would y'all like to see in future challenges? We intend to hold challenges like "animate a provided character model" or "create a custom weapon for Left 4 Dead 2," so there's plenty of topics that this site can cover, not just level design. Any suggestions that y'all can come up with are definitely welcome!

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Since the previous challenge this website held, the 1-hour mapping challenge, had a fairly decent turnout considering the site's population, what topics would y'all like to see in future challenges? We intend to hold challenges like "animate a provided character model" or "create a custom weapon for Left 4 Dead 2," so there's plenty of topics that this site can cover, not just level design. Any suggestions that y'all can come up with are definitely welcome!

Design a card game

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/4/2019 at 9:14 PM, Kantalope said:

Reminds me of the NMPD mission from ODST. Was there any inspiration there?

Funny enough the original design was  roof top plaza, but I felt it was awful and scaled terribly among other issues. The mission from ODST never crossed my mind until Sethiroth mentioned it tonight while I was streaming some more work of the map. The concept for this version started off as a mall in a space station with a vista looking into space, but with a lack luster back drop I altered it to be a mountain retreat/headquarters looking out over the mountain range below. I'm going to save a base block version of the map and try different aesthetics like the ODST building top and the mountain one given the chance to see whats better. The space station would have been Cairo station like. The top down didn't change much this week with just a few clean up spots and going through some large piece optimization to try to get back to triple digits.
 

wip1.7.png

wip1.8.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Posted a brief update in my map thread - http://www.nextleveldesign.org/index.php?/forums/topic/139-yoruda-placeholder/

 

 

Just showing some basic, unimpressive proof of concepts, and an overhead that isn't a very good representation of the layout, but serves it purpose for my project.  😉

 

549363582_test1.png.8de6de68c088939a55f132cda17dd83b.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been oil painting environments, working on three submissions to the Forgehub 2v2 contest (uncomfortable silence, the lighthouse map, and a new one) and I intend on continuing the MAPS series for as long as at least 1 person wants it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/27/2019 at 2:26 PM, Soldat Du Christ said:

2v2? Reminds me of that btb pyramid map you gave to dunco, such a waste, i loved how the fastest flag cap route had you running up and over the top of the pyramid

Yeah it really isn't anything like it other than it having a pyramid. Completely different starting points and goals. One was me hitting a checklist for someone else and this started from designing a map following the golden ratio while maintaining something abstract. The map is not quite as abstract as it started but that was due to scaling issues holding the design back in forge. Yeah the map is 2v2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Westin said:

I've been oil painting environments, working on three submissions to the Forgehub 2v2 contest (uncomfortable silence, the lighthouse map, and a new one) and I intend on continuing the MAPS series for as long as at least 1 person wants it.

Nice!  I was hoping you would revisit uncomfortable silence at some point.  There's some untapped potential waiting to be squeezed out of that one.  😀

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Westin said:

I've been oil painting environments, working on three submissions to the Forgehub 2v2 contest (uncomfortable silence, the lighthouse map, and a new one) and I intend on continuing the MAPS series for as long as at least 1 person wants it.

Your first video was close to perfection, but i feel like maps ep 1 was a lot sloppier. Like a lot of what you where saying in it was true, its just that the presentation is not optimal. And the background footage isn't always relevant to what you are talking about

 

I've learned that making a good video is like making a good map. I started off writing scripts for these design docs  where i walk through the process of creating my maps 1 step at a time, complete with all my thoughts and intentions, no one else has done a thorough  walk thorough of their maps like that yet so it was a good idea.... But what started to happen is that I was making a lot of claims that need to be justified. The next thing i know my Tribunal design doc was mostly made up of fundamental Design theory instead of simply focusing on the maps itself. So now im making a separate video Called How to design Competitive Multiplayer experiences, the goal is to build a bottom up view of design  assuming the viewer knows nothing to make sure everyone is on the same page.. . What i've been struggling with on this one for a while now is just trying to get all the different parts to cohesively segway into one another, but now that is finally done i can focus on the meat of the script which explains how to emphasize different skills in order to add layers of depth to the experience all the while maintaining balance, along with several good and bad examples of how this has been done in other games. Lots of references to ssb as a franchise, that game has such an amazing formula

 

The video primarily focuses on fleshing out and justifying the fundamentals and semantics of Competitive multiplayer experience. I'm not going to go deep into any particular discipline. For those things i have a list of people i'm going to refer to, as a heads up im going to need to know how to pronounce your last name so i can refer other to your integrity video when it comes to moral justification. I'll reference multis videos for level design. So far it's looking like viral video quality content, im really excited for it

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Your first video was close to perfection, but i feel like maps ep 1 was a lot sloppier. Like a lot of what you where saying in it was true, its just that the presentation is not optimal. And the background footage isn't always relevant to what you are talking about

 

I've learned that making a good video is like making a good map. I started off writing scripts for these design docs  where i walk through the process of creating my maps 1 step at a time, complete with all my thoughts and intentions, no one else has done a thorough  walk thorough of their maps like that yet so it was a good idea.... But what started to happen is that I was making a lot of claims that need to be justified. The next thing i know my Tribunal design doc was mostly made up of fundamental Design theory instead of simply focusing on the maps itself. So now im making a separate video Called How to design Competitive Multiplayer experiences, the goal is to build a bottom up view of design  assuming the viewer knows nothing to make sure everyone is on the same page.. . What i've been struggling with on this one for a while now is just trying to get all the different parts to cohesively segway into one another, but now that is finally done i can focus on the meat of the script which explains how to emphasize different skills in order to add layers of depth to the experience all the while maintaining balance, along with several good and bad examples of how this has been done in other games. Lots of references to ssb as a franchise, that game has such an amazing formula

 

The video primarily focuses on fleshing out and justifying the fundamentals and semantics of Competitive multiplayer experience. I'm not going to go deep into any particular discipline. For those things i have a list of people i'm going to refer to, as a heads up im going to need to know how to pronounce your last name so i can refer other to your integrity video when it comes to moral justification. I'll reference multis videos for level design. So far it's looking like viral video quality content, im really excited for it

"Not optimal presentation" is vague, I don't know what to take from that.

 

As far as the content being "sloppy" I don't really know what to take from that either. The background footage was edited and implemented in the exact same way as the Integrity video. It's just that - background footage. Footage that hopefully entertains the person and at most reminds the person watching of what I'm talking about. There's an entire archetype of successful informative gaming videos on Youtube with even less editing/relevant footage, and it seems to work just fine. All in all, I would love to do more. If I knew photoshop and had all the discipline in the world, I would have animated visual representations of every single sentence to perfectly match my words. There's a lot I would like to do, and plan on doing as the videos transition into implementation-based content with more specific ideas. However, it's not like it's my job to make videos. Nobody asked me, nobody pays me, and as long as that remains true, criticisms that essentially boil down to "this video needs more effort" are getting hard ignored.

 

As far as the talking points, they were as clear as I could make them, and they will only be built upon with later episodes. I can't believe that I have to say this, but people are looking at the video like it's some sort of closed loop of reasoning. It's not, and I explicitly said as much in the video, like 3 times. I also thought the subtitle of 'episode 1' would make the idea of a coming episode 2 obvious and important to keep in mind... but apparently that's not the case. With that in mind, I'm thankful, because I can dispel that sort of nonsense, along with every other obnoxious comment from reddit, in the first minute of the next episode. Finally, the music was too loud at certain times (when the compositions would crescendo) but I don't think that warrants the description of sloppy.

 

Moving on... so you ARE making a video. I can't wait to do my part and leave an inflammatory comment.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Westin said:

"Not optimal presentation" is vague, I don't know what to take from that.

 

As far as the content being "sloppy" I don't really know what to take from that either. The background footage was edited and implemented in the exact same way as the Integrity video. It's just that - background footage. Footage that hopefully entertains the person and at most reminds the person watching of what I'm talking about. There's an entire archetype of successful informative gaming videos on Youtube with even less editing/relevant footage, and it seems to work just fine. All in all, I would love to do more. If I knew photoshop and had all the discipline in the world, I would have animated visual representations of every single sentence to perfectly match my words. There's a lot I would like to do, and plan on doing as the videos transition into implementation-based content with more specific ideas. However, it's not like it's my job to make videos. Nobody asked me, nobody pays me, and as long as that remains true, criticisms that essentially boil down to "this video needs more effort" are getting hard ignored.

 

As far as the talking points, they were as clear as I could make them, and they will only be built upon with later episodes. I can't believe that I have to say this, but people are looking at the video like it's some sort of closed loop of reasoning. It's not, and I explicitly said as much in the video, like 3 times. I also thought the subtitle of 'episode 1' would make the idea of a coming episode 2 obvious and important to keep in mind... but apparently that's not the case. With that in mind, I'm thankful, because I can dispel that sort of nonsense, along with every other obnoxious comment from reddit, in the first minute of the next episode. Finally, the music was too loud at certain times (when the compositions would crescendo) but I don't think that warrants the description of sloppy.

 

Moving on... so you ARE making a video. I can't wait to do my part and leave an inflammatory comment.

 

Yeah i could have been more specific, the footage was one note but more so i was thinking that the way the different points you make string together don't really segway into one another very intuitively, which is why i then began talking about my own difficulty with that in my own writing. I could be even more specific  if you want, but it seems like you are comfortable with where you are at. Take my tiny criticisms as a compliment, that's usually what happens when you climb to the top of whatever hierarchical discipline one chooses to,  you get endless critiques on the smallest of things because you are just so close to the top it's painful  

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Yeah i could have been more specific, the footage was one note but more so i was thinking that the way the different points you make string together don't really segway into one another very intuitively, which is why i then began talking about my own difficulty with that in my own writing. I could be even more specific  if you want, but it seems like you are comfortable with where you are at. Take my tiny criticisms as a compliment, that's usually what happens when you climb to the top of whatever hierarchical discipline one chooses to,  you get endless critiques on the smallest of things because you are just so close to the top it's painful  

I appreciate that, really

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

This website is so sweaty what the heck, I need to be more active here.  Honestly looks nicer than FH.  Plus theres the rep system

 

:Fire:

 

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvements.  That goes for everyone, btw.  The only thing that couldn't possibly be improved on the site is Purely's avatar.  :classic_biggrin:

 

And yes, you need to be more active here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...