Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics and post replies to existing threads.

10 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Im always dropping facts

Haters too emotional, un-intact

They see who dropped the truth

Thay say "hey thats soldat, that fools wack!"

And concequently they drop the attack

...heck yeah im awesome ?

Soldat saw a trolly camo on Salty’s map and stoledat

All that design talk and ain’t really got much to showdat

The second you thought you became a design god you became loldat 

Everyone on this forum views you as trolldat 

Now go start a new map for the contest and grinddat ?

By the way everyone, the NLD Points are going to be reset back to zero at some point.  We're just in a trial period right now, so that we can work out as many kinks as possible.  I'm still weighing options.  Once we start with a clean slate, we could just let the points system run indefinitely from that point.  We could also run 'seasons', and then reset points at the end of each season. Season winners could potentially earn awards.  Could also do awards if it was running indefinitely, with them being earned by reaching X number of points.  Of course, the points thing could also turn out to just be a distraction, in which case we'd simply discontinue them.  I want them to be something fun/entertaining, but not distract from the purpose of the site.  I wouldn't want it to impact how people are interacting on the site (spamming posts to gain points, avoiding using reactions because they don't want other people to obtain points, etc).

So yeah, just in testing mode right now, so don't take it too seriously. 

I see that @Brad (I mean...our newest Admin) is doing his best to help test it all out, lmao.  Much appreciated.  Let me know if you come across anything that's not working as you think it should.

I’ve played MW more than any cod since MW2. Part of that reason is because no other game holds my interest, and part of it is because it’s actually kind of good. 

Amidst the overall poor level design, there are features that I appreciate. There are also a few maps that I’d go so far as to say are good.

I don’t understand why I can look past poor level design for MW, a game I had no intention of buying, while I have chosen to stop playing GoW5 for the same reason, even though I was looking forward to its release for a long time.

Edited by Xzamplez

1 hour ago, Xzamplez said:

I’ve played MW more than any cod since MW2. Part of that reason is because no other game holds my interest, and part of it is because it’s actually kind of good. 

Amidst the overall poor level design, there are features that I appreciate. There are also a few maps that I’d go so far as to say are good.

I don’t understand why I can look past poor level design for MW, a game I had no intention of buying, while I have chosen to stop playing GoW5 for the same reason, even though I was looking forward to its release for a long time.

Probably because call of duty doesn’t feel like you’re controlling an 18 wheeler. Gears five is absolute Jank, and made even worse by the kinds of crazy dodge rolling and area of effect weapons that absolutely decimate you.  For all its faults, modern warfare actually allows you to limit the effects of the jankiness in the 2v2 mode. And it FEELS like it’s the real MW3, so they obviously know what formula works and why. Plus there’s free content to grind for. gears just has terrible UI so I never cared to find out if it had any free stuff.

sound familiar to your experience?

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

Probably because call of duty doesn’t feel like you’re controlling an 18 wheeler. Gears five is absolute Jank, and made even worse by the kinds of crazy dodge rolling and area of effect weapons that absolutely decimate you.  For all its faults, modern warfare actually allows you to limit the effects of the jankiness in the 2v2 mode. And it FEELS like it’s the real MW3, so they obviously know what formula works and why. Plus there’s free content to grind for. gears just has terrible UI so I never cared to find out if it had any free stuff.

sound familiar to your experience?

Movement is part of it, but it’s more as well. Why the hell am I fighting against terminators and spartans? Why is the terminator locust and the DBs COG? Why are all the new weapons so underwhelming, and why hasn’t the digger returned? Why are the maps so disappointing? Why are there so few maps? Why does the level design and weapon balancing seem to seem to want to punish movement? Why do they keep introducing characters with smaller bodies? Why isn’t Wingman a playlist again!?

I just can’t keep playing a game that isn’t as good as it once was.

I guess the reason I can play CoD is that I had no expectations of it. I havent played the 2v2, because I prefer a bit more emphasis on factors other than technical ability. It’s an awesome mode, and I’ve heard nothing but positive things about it, but it’s not what I’m looking for when I play CoD.

1 hour ago, MultiLockOn said:

We should talk about all that! It's been a while, I see you're online right now but you're in a full party so I'll hit you up later.

Also the waywo is starting to feel like home again.

Next time we’re on for sure.

I havent played much halo until like a month ago when there was competitive 2v2. I was expecting to get some good games in again tonight and it was reverted to an update from way back in march. I never knew about this but man the ball got dropped hard here. I cant believe sethiroth was involved. Was hoping to get back into halo a little before my daughter arrives but this was a huge chubby killer.

I think i might be able to finish a 1v1 i was working on a year ago. I dont think its worth the time to art it up though. 2 original maps in 5 years is the least i could do.

Edited by no god anywhere

2 hours ago, Westin said:

I've found it's the people who don't make things, the ones who won't risk putting themselves out there, who have the most to say.

Yeah, "I'm gonna make this" ends up being either "haha got too lazy" or some other bullshit like some design philosophy that uses too many vague words. I'll admit that I've literally been the former for the past 5 years or so. Gotta find out if it's an excess of ego, lack of confidence, or maybe something else entirely.

p.s. a good bit of knowledge: doing nothing is a choice. It may be hard to fight it, but it's worth it.

2 hours ago, Westin said:

I've found it's the people who don't make things, the ones who won't risk putting themselves out there, who have the most to say.

I know that personally I started out not saying anything all, and just trying to take in as much information as possible - reading whatever I could get my hands on (which wasn't much at the time), looking at TONS of maps and trying to analyze the designs, and watching competitive gameplay to see how they traversed around maps, utilized cover, etc.

The next stage for me was when I felt like I was starting to grasp things, but still unsure about a lot of stuff.  This was the time period when I was really posting a lot, giving tons of feedback and suggestions, and just generally sharing my perspective at every chance.  It was actually a very conscious decision, because I was testing out my ideas - looking to see where I'd get push-back from others so that I could re-assess my perspectives. I really WANTED to be challenged.  I wanted people to try the suggestions I was giving, and let me know if they worked, or if they were disastrous, wanted people to pick apart everything I was saying and explain WHY it was wrong.

And then I went back to not saying much of anything at all again, lol.

So this is my long-winded way of saying that I completely agree, AND I think that this is a good thing, so long as a person is open to criticism of their viewpoint.

This game is a goldmine of good level design. 

It’s interesting that they’ve chosen to make certain positions and routes only accessible if you have a teammate to help you. 

EDIT: Idk how to embed the video

14 minutes ago, Xzamplez said:

This game is a goldmine of good level design. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqppfiAhhow

It’s interesting that they’ve chosen to make certain positions and routes only accessible if you have a teammate to help you. 

EDIT: Idk how to embed the video

That looks like every military shooter ever packed into one game

8 hours ago, Westin said:

That looks like every military shooter ever packed into one game

I brought it up because the level design is good. I would like to believe that in a forum that is dedicated to level design, we can look past the game and still appreciate good level design.

The game itself is actually pretty good as well, but that isn’t the point. I like to look at level design from all kinds of games, and I know Chunk does, too. For anyone else that likes to study level design like us, Warface has a brilliant lineup of maps.

Edited by Xzamplez