Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics and post replies to existing threads.

Recommended Posts

Also wondering why just the first W on that last slide is bolded but the entire header text on the previous slide appears to be bolded?

Not a big deal - just looks out of place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how the font was i guess, i know its wierd

 

I actually used a combination of pixlr and wix for all the detailed overlays on top of the base image, but the "Enchanted" font is a core font i couldnt find anywhere else, that my partner took onto photoshop and made it emmisive

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Social media challenge! 

 

Load a gun, chamber a round then set it down beside you and  watch this video. 

 

 

See how long you can last before picking it up,  putting the barrel to your temple and pulling the trigger! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2022 at 11:10 AM, Allweaver said:

 

As nice as it was to see how slick the new Forge looks with all of it's fancy objects, scaling, undo/redo features, seriously what kind of f*cking magic is that new flatten feature.  That was so bloody cool.  We definitely could have used that back in the old days.

 

One thing I was surprised by how bad it was and would like to see iterated upon is the terrible texture repetition specifically on but not limited to the landscape.  I realize that it is a common problem and that we always have to work to overcome it but I also realize that it's usually not that bad these days as newer textures have a much larger sample size.  I would really like to see them massively bump up the texture size and allow us to scale it to our desired size.  Obviously I would also like to see it have the ability to be scaled with or separately from the objects.  It's not fun having a large brick or cobblestone wall where the texture pattern repeats far too frequently.

 

On a similar note but obviously not for the now now times, I would love to see object based AI created textures.  Nothing crazy fancy, just for things like cobblestone, brick, dirt or whatever objects that by their nature have randomly created patterns even when (like brick) they are meant to be fairly repeating.  What I mean is that you would build the object and the AI would take a sample (brick/stone/ect) pattern and construct us a non repeating textured object.   In the case of landscape we would select all the ground, or rocks, or whatever we wanted to have textured as a whole and we would have the AI generate that for us in a way that seemed more naturally random.  I know this seems a bit far off but considering the crazy things that AI generates these days this is actually at the more basic end of the spectrum.

 

Anyway the new Forge really does have a lot of potential.  I just wish I got my hands on it 20 years ago when I was far more motivated.  🙂  I look forward to what everyone will craft and will continue to offer any advice or critiques to those who are looking for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

Social media challenge! 

 

Load a gun, chamber a round then set it down beside you and  watch this video. 

 

 

See how long you can last before picking it up,  putting the barrel to your temple and pulling the trigger! 

 

lol, I didn't read your post, instead I just mindlessly clicked the clip.  Afterwards I was thinking, why the hell did I just watch the whole thing expecting it to get better, that's when I noticed the rest of your post.

 

I feel like through my own short attention span I trolled myself.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Preacher001 said:

 

lol, I didn't read your post, instead I just mindlessly clicked the clip.  Afterwards I was thinking, why the hell did I just watch the whole thing expecting it to get better, that's when I noticed the rest of your post.

 

I feel like through my own short attention span I trolled myself.

 

I made it 39 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/14/2022 at 2:42 PM, Preacher001 said:

As nice as it was to see how slick the new Forge looks with all of it's fancy objects, scaling, undo/redo features, seriously what kind of f*cking magic is that new flatten feature.  That was so bloody cool.  We definitely could have used that back in the old days.

 

One thing I was surprised by how bad it was and would like to see iterated upon is the terrible texture repetition specifically on but not limited to the landscape.  I realize that it is a common problem and that we always have to work to overcome it but I also realize that it's usually not that bad these days as newer textures have a much larger sample size.  I would really like to see them massively bump up the texture size and allow us to scale it to our desired size.  Obviously I would also like to see it have the ability to be scaled with or separately from the objects.  It's not fun having a large brick or cobblestone wall where the texture pattern repeats far too frequently.

 

On a similar note but obviously not for the now now times, I would love to see object based AI created textures.  Nothing crazy fancy, just for things like cobblestone, brick, dirt or whatever objects that by their nature have randomly created patterns even when (like brick) they are meant to be fairly repeating.  What I mean is that you would build the object and the AI would take a sample (brick/stone/ect) pattern and construct us a non repeating textured object.   In the case of landscape we would select all the ground, or rocks, or whatever we wanted to have textured as a whole and we would have the AI generate that for us in a way that seemed more naturally random.  I know this seems a bit far off but considering the crazy things that AI generates these days this is actually at the more basic end of the spectrum.

 

Anyway the new Forge really does have a lot of potential.  I just wish I got my hands on it 20 years ago when I was far more motivated.  🙂  I look forward to what everyone will craft and will continue to offer any advice or critiques to those who are looking for it.

could you point me to some helpful videos/ articles on color theory specifically how its utilized in 3d spaces? up tell now i've always just king of feeeelt my way through my environment art without completely knowing whats going on under the hood, i know some things, like how to emphasize the functional parts of a map with light, guiding the eye and all that, but i know theres alot to pre- selecting your palate before even getting started and sticking too it, i've always just used alot of different colors not always intentionally and cohesively

if i have any pattern its that i tend to use mostly desaturated colors, and then use the brighter colors to emphasize certain things

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this website fucked up for anyone else?

 

shits all broke for me

 

I bought substance package, and its got this substance sampler thing. OMG its blowing my mind, it like uses an AI to make materials out of any image you upload to it (mostly specializes in terrain)

 

I took this fkn pic out front and it made that on the left.... and I can like... paint on it, add water. add rocks to it. move the rocks, lower them. OMG I love substance. I can't wait to mess with designer, and painter. 

 

 

1e8a172366c34c000bf588fe97367959.jpg

 

d9482ef6fc55d82dd3079f3fd8d6e4e0.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JB_ said:

this website fucked up for anyone else?

 

shits all broke for me

 

Invision Community (our software platform) made the switch to PHP 8 because earlier versions of PHP will no longer be supported as of November.

We rely HEAVILY upon community developed addons.  Some of those addons are not compatible with PHP 8 and so after the recent update they either no longer work at all, or no longer work as intended.  This has resulted in many other sites being completely broken.  We were not quite as unlucky since we don't 100% rely upon any single addon, but are still seeing the effects.  The main impact for us is the theme/s we use.

 

I've found that sometimes simply refreshing the site will help.  However there are certain things in certain themes that are just broken and not fixable by us at this time.  The best suggestion I can give at the moment is to change to the default theme if you're having major issues. This will be the least impacted theme, and should work relatively smoothly.  The theme selection drop down should be at the bottom of the page.

image.png.691c782232660cd9547ab347b3c6bf3e.png

Everyone please feel free to reach out to me directly via PM or Discord if you're having major issues and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

 

I'm working on a more long term solution that would hopefully protect us against something like this to a certain extent, but it will take some time to complete and implement.  Basically looking into having the site designed from the ground up in a way that would integrate the features we want without relying upon community developed addons.  I'm at the early stages of that right now, researching layouts for home pages, forums, etc. to help build a clear vision of the appearance and functionality I want.

 

With that in mind, if anyone has other forums/website that they really like visually, please share them and explain what you like.

I'm also interested to hear about what functionality you all might like to have.  An example of something I know I will ask for is a 'Projects' tab on the profile page that would link to all of that members 'Completed Projects'.

I'm sure there are many cool things we could do that I've not even thought of though, and would like to have as complete a list as possible to present to whoever we get to do the development for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, a Chunk said:

 

Invision Community (our software platform) made the switch to PHP 8 because earlier versions of PHP will no longer be supported as of November.

We rely HEAVILY upon community developed addons.  Some of those addons are not compatible with PHP 8 and so after the recent update they either no longer work at all, or no longer work as intended.  This has resulted in many other sites being completely broken.  We were not quite as unlucky since we don't 100% rely upon any single addon, but are still seeing the effects.  The main impact for us is the theme/s we use.

 

I've found that sometimes simply refreshing the site will help.  However there are certain things in certain themes that are just broken and not fixable by us at this time.  The best suggestion I can give at the moment is to change to the default theme if you're having major issues. This will be the least impacted theme, and should work relatively smoothly.  The theme selection drop down should be at the bottom of the page.

image.png.691c782232660cd9547ab347b3c6bf3e.png

Everyone please feel free to reach out to me directly via PM or Discord if you're having major issues and I'll do whatever I can to help out.

 

I'm working on a more long term solution that would hopefully protect us against something like this to a certain extent, but it will take some time to complete and implement.  Basically looking into having the site designed from the ground up in a way that would integrate the features we want without relying upon community developed addons.  I'm at the early stages of that right now, researching layouts for home pages, forums, etc. to help build a clear vision of the appearance and functionality I want.

 

With that in mind, if anyone has other forums/website that they really like visually, please share them and explain what you like.

I'm also interested to hear about what functionality you all might like to have.  An example of something I know I will ask for is a 'Projects' tab on the profile page that would link to all of that members 'Completed Projects'.

I'm sure there are many cool things we could do that I've not even thought of though, and would like to have as complete a list as possible to present to whoever we get to do the development for us.

ah i was wondering where that theme button went

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

could you point me to some helpful videos/ articles on color theory specifically how its utilized in 3d spaces? up tell now i've always just king of feeeelt my way through my environment art without completely knowing whats going on under the hood, i know some things, like how to emphasize the functional parts of a map with light, guiding the eye and all that, but i know theres alot to pre- selecting your palate before even getting started and sticking too it, i've always just used alot of different colors not always intentionally and cohesively

if i have any pattern its that i tend to use mostly desaturated colors, and then use the brighter colors to emphasize certain things

 

lol, I mean I could buuut . . .  my advice is you find someone with far more experience (any really) with that topic. Though I will happily critique whatever it is that you come up with 😉

 

I'd read up on it myself but these days I try to only put things into my brain that I'm about to use, otherwise I delve to deep and learn too much and can never get back my time.  I'm a busy man, those TikTok videos are not going to watch themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a chance to watch that video.  It's pretty cool stuff.  I have no doubt there will be some great things designed by the community using these features.

Personally been wanting bots forever, so that's probably the feature I'm most looking forward to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this is the same rock i was showing off before, it looks really good in game because of the texturing but is low poly as shit, slap a tri planar snow material on rocks and they immediately look 10x better, also what is going on down there at the seams? one of the best ways to take your scenes to the next level is to hide and blend together assets at the seams, in this screen shot there is some kind of transparent overlay, maybe a decal? but then how is it perfectly conformed to the rocks edge? procedural?
unknown.png



see in this picture how the seams arent blended into the terrain and it looks way less impresive



image.png.c9586f233101a6efd54e5e3ccf0a818a.png

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share