What 3d modelling program should I use? I've been using 3ds max 2016 through a student license, but doing some research suggests switching to blender. I assume that this would be a good decision for the long run because of it being free, and it's not impossible software to learn, so I feel that I should make the switch. Any thoughts?

1 minute ago, Kantalope said:

What 3d modelling program should I use? I've been using 3ds max 2016 through a student license, but doing some research suggests switching to blender. I assume that this would be a good decision for the long run because of it being free, and it's not impossible software to learn, so I feel that I should make the switch. Any thoughts?

Sculpt a weapon out of a slab of marble

10 hours ago, Kantalope said:

I'm sticking with 3DS max cause all developers still use it... It's still a pretty standard modeling software. As long as you have experience with 3DS Max, MAYA and substance painter that's pretty much a hire.

Not to many games rely on blender so not many devs will look for ppl with exerpeince in it. But granted if you know how to use one, you know how to use them all once you get around the UI and certain features.

I'm in the same boat, student license using max 2020 and when my license runs out I'll probably either pirate max or just switch to blender. Hell the guy I learned 3ds max from Arimus 3D (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw) is doing blender tutorials on youtube now. "he switched to the dark side"

Also there's just things that 3ds just does better compared to most modeling software. like this 

Edited by JB_

10 hours ago, Kantalope said:

I would change over to Blender.  Not because it's better, but because learning/knowing more than 1 program should be beneficial.  At least spend some time to get proficient with it.  I suspect you may realize that certain things are easier in one versus the other, which would be helpful in the long run too.

10 hours ago, JB_ said:

Can you see the rings of saturn with it?

Its supposed to be able to, but the conditions need to be right. It needs to be really high in the sky so I'm looking through less atmosphere and is supposedly much easier to see outside of the city. So far, it hasn't been in the correct position for me to attempt it, but I'll post some pics if I ever get any. A lot of the photos they showed online of Jupiter and Saturn that were taken through the telescope are also using a camera zoomed into the eyepiece which I don't have currently. With the setup I have, it is supposed to be visible, but very small unless you zoom in quite a bit with a camera.

6 hours ago, Chronmeister said:

Its supposed to be able to, but the conditions need to be right. It needs to be really high in the sky so I'm looking through less atmosphere and is supposedly much easier to see outside of the city. So far, it hasn't been in the correct position for me to attempt it, but I'll post some pics if I ever get any. A lot of the photos they showed online of Jupiter and Saturn that were taken through the telescope are also using a camera zoomed into the eyepiece which I don't have currently. With the setup I have, it is supposed to be visible, but very small unless you zoom in quite a bit with a camera.

Space is nutty man. Post any more pics you get

In an effort to loosen up after taking design so seriously for so long, i made some maps with all natural physics blocks, its some good dumb fun if you ever want to mess around in open custom games

0e4abe05-d88a-4c95-abb8-8107105a1eb2.thumb.PNG.0a23ef32f4b4f9da2a024719164ea79d.PNG

71951a32-9fd6-4e5e-b246-917b9d3a8d89.thumb.PNG.afa7b1e81a57693335c99b6592bcc0f8.PNG

https://gamerdvr.com/gamer/soldat-duchrist/video/85585729

I also made a plain canvas with natural blocks on the side if anybody wants to make one, its actually a satisfying/ annoying challenge trying to balance all the blocks on top of one another, especially since i made the base terrain a bowl XD there's a lot of room to make something better than my two examples, like towering block skyscrapers that contest one another or something like that

DL: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo-5-guardians/xbox-one/map-variants?lastModifiedFilter=Everything&sortOrder=Modified&page=1&gamertag=Soldat DuChrist

TiavQEl.jpg

1 hour ago, Foge said:

Got a tad bit tired of working on Upward so I decided to make something new in Unreal. Kinda like a symmetrical Construct with a more tight layout.

6ecZPHY.jpg

tmEdc25.png

Qk2MPta.png

finish my map, well box's map.

49 minutes ago, MultiLockOn said:

@Chronmeister Just looked at Concrete Jungle, fantastic job man.  One of your best works.  I'd place it in my top 4 or so for the Doubles contest just by looking at it.

Awesome! Thanks bro! I wish I had a little more time to polish it, but i didn't get started on it until the first week of December so if it makes it that far i will be very happy. I really just want a damn forgehub shirt. :)

8 minutes ago, Chronmeister said:

Awesome! Thanks bro! I wish I had a little more time to polish it, but i didn't get started on it until the first week of December so if it makes it that far i will be very happy. I really just want a damn forgehub shirt. 🙂

Can I peak your interest in a much superior NLD t shirt 🤔