5 hours ago, Chronmeister said:

How is enemy variety in that game? I was pretty interested in it a few weeks ago, but the vids I watched made it look like there were only a handful of enemy types.

There's only 5 different enemy types with larger variants of two of them (https://gtfo.gamepedia.com/Enemies), but variety isn't necessarily needed. They're effective in their role as a potent obstacle that requires precaution and cooperation to take out without alerting the horde. All decisions have to be deliberate in order to not waste resources of which are as scarce as any good horror game, so staying out of combat is best for your survival.

The approach to the enemy designs feel similar to the first two resident evil games: around 2 common enemy types, 2 uncommon, and 1-2 bosses that all different ways of being dealt with. The common types are strikers and chargers: simple melee enemies that can be taken out silently with the charger being somewhat more difficult to both spot and deal with in combat. The uncommon types are shooters and scouts, shooters essentially acting like tankier, ranged versions of strikers that somehow launch projectiles, and the scouts stop moving periodically to spread out a massive radius of tentacles that near immediately alert the horde upon contact. The bigger baddies are literally just big strikers and big shooters; they're literally just massive, slow, and tanky versions of the base enemy types. Then there are the shadows; I haven't encountered shadows yet, so I can't really say much about them other than that they can only be seen with flashlights, so they should be quite a nuisance.

The main objective of each mission is unique and mainly corresponds to either rebooting something, collecting specific items, or some other auxiliary task. Players can access terminals within the environment and input codes into them to either quarry about a specific item, area, or other logged part of the environment to gather information. Much of the commands are inputted like a simple console program. Essentially the game plays out like Alien if they knew about the alien from the start. It's genuinely a hard game to play, especially if everyone wants to play it like it's just Left4Dead or some shit like that. If you and three other friends can get together and take the premise seriously then it's easily one of the most terrifying and immersive horror experiences I've ever had.

See the source image

By the way, @S0UL FLAME, good find - the Doomguy artwork is very reminiscent of the Space Shuttle (nose cone / heat shield / air intake), it tells me they actively designed him with VEHICLES in mind. I also notice something like Bungie's painterly approach to textures in Halos 1-ODST. Note the colors green, gold, and purple being layered in order to give the impression of motion/depth. I like that stuff a lot, and it's probably a key reason why Halo 3 still looks so good to this day.

maxresdefault.jpg

Example - note the hood, running boards, and seats. If you zoom in, or look at them ingame in MCC, you'll notice that the textures are essentially just brushstrokes from a paintbrush mixing dark greens, greys, browns, purples and blues in order to convey a very slightly mottled or aged exterior, that still looks better than all the clean modern hi-poly designs. Consider the following:

0?ui=2&ik=29002f868d&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-a:r-9034267465244749758&th=17041b4c2f123689&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ_bS0VtvopD0iaNW0GZuV8YBI4TxxqoLfUULnFkbMc8M3IfSXoYcZ4TIDBf867k837ek99KvNOAWBXL2smP-g-zilBUtJd-vd8c3lGj4yH2L-wyZsFVKDpx7qw&disp=emb&realattid=17041b4a5765e9da4ed1

What the fuck?

41 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

There's only 5 different enemy types with larger variants of two of them (https://gtfo.gamepedia.com/Enemies), but variety isn't necessarily needed. They're effective in their role as a potent obstacle that requires precaution and cooperation to take out without alerting the horde. All decisions have to be deliberate in order to not waste resources of which are as scarce as any good horror game, so staying out of combat is best for your survival.

The approach to the enemy designs feel similar to the first two resident evil games: around 2 common enemy types, 2 uncommon, and 1-2 bosses that all different ways of being dealt with. The common types are strikers and chargers: simple melee enemies that can be taken out silently with the charger being somewhat more difficult to both spot and deal with in combat. The uncommon types are shooters and scouts, shooters essentially acting like tankier, ranged versions of strikers that somehow launch projectiles, and the scouts stop moving periodically to spread out a massive radius of tentacles that near immediately alert the horde upon contact. The bigger baddies are literally just big strikers and big shooters; they're literally just massive, slow, and tanky versions of the base enemy types. Then there are the shadows; I haven't encountered shadows yet, so I can't really say much about them other than that they can only be seen with flashlights, so they should be quite a nuisance.

The main objective of each mission is unique and mainly corresponds to either rebooting something, collecting specific items, or some other auxiliary task. Players can access terminals within the environment and input codes into them to either quarry about a specific item, area, or other logged part of the environment to gather information. Much of the commands are inputted like a simple console program. Essentially the game plays out like Alien if they knew about the alien from the start. It's genuinely a hard game to play, especially if everyone wants to play it like it's just Left4Dead or some shit like that. If you and three other friends can get together and take the premise seriously then it's easily one of the most terrifying and immersive horror experiences I've ever had.

Sounds cool. I have some steam money so I'm seriously thinking about it. You should check out escape from tarkov if you haven't  already.  I just got it after watching a bunch of vids on it and hopefully can get a handle of it over the weekend. From the little I've played, it looks like it will be one of the deepest pvp/pve shooters ever made. Customization is insane with hitboxes to match exact armor outlines and hundreds of weapon parts to allow limitless weapon customization. I think there are like 8 or more maps already and they are all really big. I'll have a better  handle on it soon.

"Cover" is any hard geometry that is in between two enemy players, the closer you are to any hard geometry, the more you can manipulate it, whether or not you can manipulate it to your advantage depends on whether or not you can manipulate the geometry so that it is between you and your enemy.  there lies a spectrum where on one side you can have dense geometry, and the other soft geometry...  generally speaking: you can use dense geometry to create positions with very clearly defined positives and negatives, similar to chess, and use softer geometry to create positions with far less implications and much more pressure to stay mobile

Context changes everything, if for example your map is made up entirely of dense geometry BUT there are several well placed teleporters on the map, and/or the player has access to reliable and sustainable AOE projectiles you will end up with a quake style map where although there are corners and density, it's all very conditional.  Ultimately you can have it any which way you want, dense, soft, both, or anything in between, so long as your fundamental principles are fulfilled: Pacing, Depth, etc etc

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

On 2/14/2020 at 8:12 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

"Cover" is any hard geometry that is in between two enemy players, the closer you are to any hard geometry, the more you can manipulate it, whether or not you can manipulate it to your advantage depends on whether or not you can manipulate the geometry so that it is between you and your enemy.  there lies a spectrum where on one side you can have dense geometry, and the other soft geometry...  generally speaking: you can use dense geometry to create positions with very clearly defined positives and negatives, similar to chess, and use softer geometry to create positions with far less implications and much more pressure to stay mobile

Context changes everything, if for example your map is made up entirely of dense geometry BUT there are several well placed teleporters on the map, and/or the player has access to reliable and sustainable AOE projectiles you will end up with a quake style map where although there are corners and density, it's all very conditional.  Ultimately you can have it any which way you want, dense, soft, both, or anything in between, so long as your fundamental principles are fulfilled: Pacing, Depth, etc etc

Lo thiento

On 2/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, purely fat said:

As long as Box, Salty, and I exist it won't die. (Until infinite comes out at least)

Going to at least try and finish MT Olympus for this game. The rest of my projects I think I am going to do with some other tools or infinite. Some of them are probably better off that way.

juzr.gif.192bb6d981a72f7352c7765ed2c94f2a.gif

Here's another cabinet job we did about 2 years ago for a retired MLB pitcher

http://imgur.com/gallery/TklFPhW

The cabinets were a light brown stain before this, and all these fine little black straight lines you see are intentional brush marks done with glaze. One of the biggest and simultaneously hardest jobs ever. I mean, the kitchen has 2 islands lmao. Oh, yeah, and we refinished the dining table to match

With that in mind, I'm pretty sure my father and I are going all in on cabinets, furniture, staircases, stuff like that. Including a dedicated shop, showroom, website, everything. We have prospered by word of mouth alone in rural Missouri, but I imagine that a well cultivated online presence will be incredible for business, as long as we have that pinterest level eye candy to show off (gonna buy a nice camera and revisit jobs).

Most cabinet/furniture work I see, even online, is straight up ugly. It's dry out there, and people don't really know what's possible other than painting their doors white. I could see making a decent name for ourselves with time

Also, halo maps

55 minutes ago, Xzamplez said:

@Soldat Du ChristIt’s a little loud at points, but overall fine.

I did a walkthrough and breakdown of the map I’m currently working on. It is completely improvised, and turned out to be over an hour of me talking.

Watched it.  Enjoyed it. Good job. 😉

Will definitely watch yours when I get a chance Soldat. 

So....played escape from tarkov all weekend and its probably the most addicting cycle of looting up and risking gear I've ever seen. I suck, so I've mainly been doing scav runs and gaining/selling gear, but this game is the shit. You stock up gear by loading into a map as a scav, then if u survive,  you collect whatever you leave the area with. When u load in as a pmc, you risk losing all gear equipped if you die which is sort of like gambling. Meta is insane with the amount of random items used to trade/upgrade hideout, keycard and keys needed to access certain areas of the map and such. I have so much more to learn. I've only looked at 1 map semi in depth and another I've played a few times. I can't recommend this one enough though.  I've spent over 20 hours and I'm soooooo just scratching the surface of how to get good and actually get good loot. I've had unequivocal fun so far and I think it will only get better.  This game will hook you if you spend an hour getting it. Its gonna be game of the decade when it gets released and it still has like 4 or 5 maps that are gonna be released.  It can be frustrating loading with  good stuff and losing it all in seconds, but so far , it has been worth it. I cant recommend it enough.

12 hours ago, Chronmeister said:

So....played escape from tarkov all weekend and its probably the most addicting cycle of looting up and risking gear I've ever seen. I suck, so I've mainly been doing scav runs and gaining/selling gear, but this game is the shit. You stock up gear by loading into a map as a scav, then if u survive,  you collect whatever you leave the area with. When u load in as a pmc, you risk losing all gear equipped if you die which is sort of like gambling. Meta is insane with the amount of random items used to trade/upgrade hideout, keycard and keys needed to access certain areas of the map and such. I have so much more to learn. I've only looked at 1 map semi in depth and another I've played a few times. I can't recommend this one enough though.  I've spent over 20 hours and I'm soooooo just scratching the surface of how to get good and actually get good loot. I've had unequivocal fun so far and I think it will only get better.  This game will hook you if you spend an hour getting it. Its gonna be game of the decade when it gets released and it still has like 4 or 5 maps that are gonna be released.  It can be frustrating loading with  good stuff and losing it all in seconds, but so far , it has been worth it. I cant recommend it enough.

My house should be done in the next couple weeks or so (hopefully). I might get the game but I will most likely get Doom first.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:17 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

Is the music too loud in this? 

I don't exhort as much as I should... that entire video was great. The music was a little too loud, and your voice quality is part of the problem. Come to think of it, I sold my pc, and I have a very nice Samson microphone just sitting here. DM me your address and it's yours

3 hours ago, Westin said:

I don't exhort as much as I should... that entire video was great. The music was a little too loud, and your voice quality is part of the problem. Come to think of it, I sold my pc, and I have a very nice Samson microphone just sitting here. DM me your address and it's yours

Thanks man, i actually just use my turtle beach headset, the quality is good, i could have/should have just upped the settings in the editor so that my voice was louder, it won't be a problem next time. Bless someone with the mic who needs it more 🙂

On 2/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, Soldat Du Christ said:

Melee is sick. I've been watching competitive Melee for over ten years now and it simply does not get boring. A game that didn't get a single patch and is still changing to this day after almost 20 years through the passionate people playing this gem of a game.

"The era of the five Gods", like, come on, no other game has a such a unique competitive story as Melee. A new era has already begun...

Two icons of the community, Scar and Toph tackle this topic in their newest episode of their show where they talk about Melee and life, psychology, etc.. You might be laughing, you can learn a lot about life and yourself while playing Melee with others. I'll just drop two of their newest videos for anyone interested (Ep1 and Ep2).

12 minutes ago, Buddy Jumps said:

Melee is sick. I've been watching competitive Melee for over ten years now and it simply does not get boring. A game that didn't get a single patch and is still changing to this day after almost 20 years through the passionate people playing this gem of a game.

"The era of the five Gods", like, come on, no other game has a such a unique competitive story as Melee. A new era has already begun...

Two icons of the community, Scar and Toph tackle this topic in their newest episode of their show where they talk about Melee and life, psychology, etc.. You might be laughing, you can learn a lot about life and yourself while playing Melee with others. I'll just drop two of their newest videos for anyone interested (Ep1 and Ep2).

It's funny,  i've watched way more smash bros than i've ever played... come to think of it i've only ever owned smash melee as a kid, besides that i've always just been watching as a fan. The gameplay as a simple formula is amazing, probably my biggest inspiration when it comes to how i design maps. The best thing about melee is how deep fox is as a character, how you can make him your own

Believe it or not, i think rivals of aether might be better than melee, I just got it yesterday on xbox, and it has all of the changes that i would personally make to the franchise. No shield, no grabs, no ledge grabs, moves that change the context of the stage, balanced roster (mostly) and most importantly, there's not a huge barrier to entry with having to learn a huge roster match up list or grind your technical skill for hours

If anyone is down to play rivals hmu

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

On 2/19/2020 at 10:19 PM, S0UL FLAME said:

Does the blood act as a kill barrier? Cuz if it's something players can walk through, to get a grizzly blood effect if you place a block with marble texture with a blood red color you can get some pretty realistic spooky looking pools of blood. Then just place a bunch of asteroid rocks as rocks in it to break it up and it'll look badass