Jump to content

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, S0UL FLAME said:

@Westin @icyhotspartin

 

You can configure the game to turn off tutorials, waypoints, secret count, compass, etc. Basically, you could simplify the hud to where it only shows your health, ammo, and abilities. Of course, it's too late for Westin to do that, since he has already beat the game, but I would recommend trying to make the game play as Classic as possible.

 

I had made sure to alter the game to play the way I wanted, and I'm very confident that it made the game much more enjoyable for me, because I wasn't spoon-fed information. The combat loop is much more enjoyable for me than Doom '16, but only because I specifically play the game with the least amount of Glory Kills and Chainsaw Kills as possible. Flame Belch and Ice Bomb were much better alternatives at replenishing armor and health respectively, and I wish it was the original way to do so, as it doesn't stop the loop in its tracks.

 

That being said, the wall climb and pipe somersault can absolutely fuck off.

I have everything off. The tutorial is still there in the loading screen. after enough deaths it's just there. No way to not see it.

 

Also.....

 

 

MODULAR COVENANT HALLWAY ideas? hmm

 

f66a25bb1e1fa814943f89fd7d591313.png

Edited by JB_
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 2:34 AM, Westin said:

That's honestly a blessing, I can't do anything for money rn

Yeah, but I'm also hoping that this temporary UBI happens so that I can cut my hours significantly. This is the perfect time for us digital creatives to get to work on projects that we've told ourselves that we don't have the time for. I can get back to learning Japanese, Korean, and Swedish while getting better at coding in Unreal 4 and further developing the worldbuilding in that 2v2 game I had posted about earlier. I actually paid someone to pick up my shift today because of frustrated I've been with not having enough energy to further my creative abilities while all of my close friends are drawing, writing, and recording to their heart's content. Finally a whole day that I can dedicate to my passions of which I have far to many to fully develop!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2020 at 10:00 AM, Westin said:

Just beat it on ultra violence

 

Drawbacks include a 'gamey' tone, gimmicky level design, and less memorable individual levels than Doom 2016. Its a longer game, and the bosses are a little better, but ultimately still uninteresting. I mean, a literal recording of a developer playing the game comes up right before the bosses and tells you explicitly how to beat it. Not only is the strategy completely predetermined for the player, but they don't even let us figure things out for ourselves.

 

Oh yeah and while graphical quality is great, the goofy level design makes everything look kinda ridiculous, unbelievable at best. 

 

Doom 2016 was a better game in every way EXCEPT for weapon/enemy/ability design

 

I'm still making my way through it on Ultraviolence. I still like it a lot but I think they just made quite a few key bad decisions. Probably one of my biggest complaints would be the ammo cap on certain weapons and that too many enemies have one ideal way to kill them that's way better than any other way.

 

It leads to a lot of situations where I'm out of the type of ammo for the guy I need to kill so I can't kill it's weak points with the other weapons. Another solution would be making a lot of these weakpoints more susceptible to other weapons, like not just the sticky bomb and heavy cannon sniper. But also the game heavily depends on weapon swapping for most fights and on controller that can be a bitch. And swapping mods takes too long to be ideal so you pretty much need to have a mod you prefer and stick to it. I've found that swapping my control mapping around helped a lot though.

 

Before I started I messed with a bunch of the noob friendly settings and shut them off. I immediately turned off tutorials, and tips, sentinel armor, and changed the UI color so it wasn't a reading rainbow. They honestly should prompt you at the start saying " are you a player who needs pop up tutorials" so that the average competent fps shooter player can get those things out of their face and learn the enemies for themselves. Or have the tutorials only show up on the easy mode because those are the players who will need it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jake Stegmeier | MartianMallCop said:

 

I'm still making my way through it on Ultraviolence. I still like it a lot but I think they just made quite a few key bad decisions. Probably one of my biggest complaints would be the ammo cap on certain weapons and that too many enemies have one ideal way to kill them that's way better than any other way.

 

It leads to a lot of situations where I'm out of the type of ammo for the guy I need to kill so I can't kill it's weak points with the other weapons. Another solution would be making a lot of these weakpoints more susceptible to other weapons, like not just the sticky bomb and heavy cannon sniper. But also the game heavily depends on weapon swapping for most fights and on controller that can be a bitch. And swapping mods takes too long to be ideal so you pretty much need to have a mod you prefer and stick to it. I've found that swapping my control mapping around helped a lot though.

 

Before I started I messed with a bunch of the noob friendly settings and shut them off. I immediately turned off tutorials, and tips, sentinel armor, and changed the UI color so it wasn't a reading rainbow. They honestly should prompt you at the start saying " are you a player who needs pop up tutorials" so that the average competent fps shooter player can get those things out of their face and learn the enemies for themselves. Or have the tutorials only show up on the easy mode because those are the players who will need it.

Yeah everyone is telling me that they've turned off the tips, and it almost makes me feel like I've done something wrong... almost

 

Almost, because I know in my heart that I really shouldn't have to groom my UX as a player like that for the optimal experience

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Westin said:

Yeah everyone is telling me that they've turned off the tips, and it almost makes me feel like I've done something wrong... almost

 

Almost, because I know in my heart that I really shouldn't have to groom my UX as a player like that for the optimal experience

I have always preferred that the game kicks my ass then asks me for assistance. Kingdom Hearts did this shit if you died in a spot enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Westin said:

Yeah everyone is telling me that they've turned off the tips, and it almost makes me feel like I've done something wrong... almost

 

Almost, because I know in my heart that I really shouldn't have to groom my UX as a player like that for the optimal experience

 

I just know with a lot of games lately that the developer often doesn't know what the optimal experience should be so I always change the settings before I even start.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Last new game I played was Warzone.

For everything they do wrong, CoD has always had a consistent feel with inputs and HUD elements.

 

I get that devs want to teach their players how to play, but seriously, why spend all that time and money perfecting a functioning Gib system only to explain it to the player with a cheap how-to guide?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

Last new game I played was Warzone.

For everything they do wrong, CoD has always had a consistent feel with inputs and HUD elements.

 

I get that devs want to teach their players how to play, but seriously, why spend all that time and money perfecting a functioning Gib system only to explain it to the player with a cheap how-to guide?

 

I wonder if it was a way to keep a lot of their UI people employed. Like people suggesting features to give themselves things to do. Like they have to have some guy go to that test world and act out all those situations with each of the mechanics and record it etc...

 

I think just throwing that in easy mode would have been the best option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Westin said:

Yeah everyone is telling me that they've turned off the tips, and it almost makes me feel like I've done something wrong... almost

 

You are correct that you shouldn't have to make adjustments in order to play a game. However, you were incorrect to assume that you wouldn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jake Stegmeier | MartianMallCop said:

 

I wonder if it was a way to keep a lot of their UI people employed. Like people suggesting features to give themselves things to do. Like they have to have some guy go to that test world and act out all those situations with each of the mechanics and record it etc...

 

I think just throwing that in easy mode would have been the best option.

That’s what I would expect, especially for a modern release. But I guess that Bethesda pulled rank and covered their ass, so to speak, expecting that game journos wouldn’t be able to “feel like the doomslayer” without easy to read instructions. That, and/or they are following the trend of including demo vids for power-ups started by God of Gods (I think).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...