Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

How did they do vertical overlap? Isn’t that impossible in the Doom engine?

 

In the original, yes. The source port this map was made in, GZDoom, brings innumerable additions and improvements to the core aspects of Doom, including true 3D.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got around to playing Doom Eternal, just made it through Nekravol. The only thing that I dislike about the game so far is how specific of a strategy that the devs stranglehold you into using against the  Marauder. You can fire explosives at the ground next to his shield to defeat him if you have plenty of time to waste, but the strategy of countering his attacks is by far easier. I just think that it's awkward having a counter-attack centric opponent where the attack window is indicated by a minor color change when the chainsaw, something essential to your survival, spews our a technicolor rainbow of ammo. Maybe it's the same logic as the Lost Souls, but having literally every direct shot blocked even though the enemy didn't have their shield up until the damn instant I fire with a hitscan weapon screamed bullshit to me. The only reason that I found out about how to counter them is from the damn tutorials on the loading screen. They reeeeeeeaaally leaned too far in on using tutorials.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MultiLockOn said:

I'm making a "The Making Of Odyssey".  Soldat inspired me 🙂

I think everyone should be making them, its great for the community, for self reflection, all around, look forward to it bro, i've walked around and thought aboyt odessy alot, so i have my own theorys as to how it was made and such

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

@no god anywhere dude hollow knight is amazing... like you said it was kinda slow at the start, like until i got the dash and wall jump ability, but it was just barely entertaining ing enough to keep me going. Once you get to the city of tears and beyond, the enemies become really satisfying to fight. I beat the wizard boss, that was so fun, the map is like this really complex puzzle, there is so much freedom and interconnectivity, i love it so much

 

My wife is starting to play it too because she like to save all those cute grubs, she has been struggling but she just beat hornet tonight and shes really excited, its so cute lol

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

@no god anywhere dude hollow knight is amazing... like you said it was kinda slow at the start, like until i got the dash and wall jump ability, but it was just barely entertaining ing enough to keep me going. Once you get to the city of tears and beyond, the enemies become really satisfying to fight. I beat the wizard boss, that was so fun, the map is like this really complex puzzle, there is so much freedom and interconnectivity, i love it so much

 

My wife is starting to play it too because she like to save all those cute grubs, she has been struggling but she just beat hornet tonight and shes really excited, its so cute lol

Wife? Congrats?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

I think everyone should be making them, its great for the community, for self reflection, all around, look forward to it bro, i've walked around and thought aboyt odessy alot, so i have my own theorys as to how it was made and such

Well I guess we'll see how spot on your analysis is 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

@no god anywhere dude hollow knight is amazing... like you said it was kinda slow at the start, like until i got the dash and wall jump ability, but it was just barely entertaining ing enough to keep me going. Once you get to the city of tears and beyond, the enemies become really satisfying to fight. I beat the wizard boss, that was so fun, the map is like this really complex puzzle, there is so much freedom and interconnectivity, i love it so much

 

My wife is starting to play it too because she like to save all those cute grubs, she has been struggling but she just beat hornet tonight and shes really excited, its so cute lol

Yeah i suppose ill take back my comment about it having poor level design. The inter-connectivity is a solidly well done aspect in hollowsnest but i believe my problem with the game stems from it having poor platforming. The whole map is just the same thing over and over except it looks different.  Its just not fun to move around the world for me but im glad youre enjoying it. Team cherry is releasing a sequel in june called silksong if you didnt know. I may try to pick it back up after i finish ori... I only need 2 more achievements.

Ive completed my normal 100% run, an easy run(no deaths, under 4(2.5) hours, no shards equipped, and no purchases) and im maybe an hour off finishing the hard run. Then all i have to do is one more quick run to kill the spider boss without getting hit  and ill have it at 1000G. Moon studios updated the game minutes after i finished my speedrun that made fast travel a purchasable ability instead now. I got lucky because now you would have to do an entire extra run through the game. BTW This is the worst optimized game ive ever played. Even after the update yesterday that was supposed to fix everything, nothing changed. Now that ive learned the world so much better the game is almost broken because i move around way faster than it can load. Still a very good game and a great sequel.

Edited by no god anywhere
Link to post
Share on other sites

If a map doesn't feature gameplay consisting of players cycling around in a circle endlessly, then calling it a donut is missing the point. We use these names to highlight gameplay trends, not what it looks like in a top-down. 

 

Case and point - Soul calls Arcanum a 3 lane because it has 3 bridges, but does its gameplay feature players pushing down a lane, turning around, and mindlessly repeating the push in the other direction? Not at all.

 

On the topic of mindless gameplay, donuts, in the functional sense, can be completely mindless, and deserve at least part of the stigma they carry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Westin said:

Case and point - Soul calls Arcanum a 3 lane because it has 3 bridges, but does its gameplay feature players pushing down a lane, turning around, and mindlessly repeating the push in the other direction?

The Key is the only thing keeping that map from becoming mindless.

 

If said Key didn't exist, Arcanum would have the same heatmap as Hazard.

 

 

Edited by S0UL FLAME
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S0UL FLAME said:

The Key is the only thing keeping that map from becoming mindless.

 

If said Key didn't exist, Arcanum would have the same heatmap as Hazard.

 

 

Even if what you just said was right (it's not) then my point would still stand, because Hazard isn't a 3 lane.

 

Hazard is holding top camo, moving 1 room over to let players spawn bottom camo, and collapsing on them from above once they spawn. So, if Arcanum plays like Hazard, then it's still completely wrong to call either map a 3 lane.

 

But, of course, like I said, that comparison was wrong in the first place

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...