22 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

This is just... the perfect amount of unprofessional professionalism

man seeing vic deleon. I love him!!!!!! I'm curious to hear HIS thoughts on the art style changes. He was one of the last bungie members at 343 and he was ACTUALLY a dev, a level artist... I wonder how he felt going from Bungies art style to having to adhere to 343's new concept art and artstyle.

I've started to kitbash for some weapon concept art for the game to get a better feel for the aesthetic. This is a redesign of the SMG/AR equivalent that I've slapped together:
PDWs2Update.thumb.png.3b003a608cfe59678abfbaa36858e218.png

Eventually the polymer portions of the weapons I'm kitbashing will be red or white rather than tan. I feel that I should go more towards an 80's sci-fi aesthetic rather that the sort of mixing of it and modern tacticool things. I like this, but the design just feels a tad too generic. Maybe removing the central rail and swapping the top one for a trench sight would look more retro-futuristic. The proportions also feel a bit off, but I, for whatever reason, just went on with the design instead of addressing it. Onward! If anyone wants to see a color swap for the red or white versions, I slapped those together as well.

Edit: I'm thinking that extending the length of the front end would help if I stick with the tacticool look

19 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

I've started to kitbash for some weapon concept art for the game to get a better feel for the aesthetic. This is a redesign of the SMG/AR equivalent that I've slapped together:

Eventually the polymer portions of the weapons I'm kitbashing will be red or white rather than tan. I feel that I should go more towards an 80's sci-fi aesthetic rather that the sort of mixing of it and modern tacticool things. I like this, but the design just feels a tad too generic. Maybe removing the central rail and swapping the top one for a trench sight would look more retro-futuristic. The proportions also feel a bit off, but I, for whatever reason, just went on with the design instead of addressing it. Onward! If anyone wants to see a color swap for the red or white versions, I slapped those together as well.

Edit: I'm thinking that extending the length of the front end would help if I stick with the tacticool look

PDWs2UpdateV2.thumb.png.ccc7f755806b0d1c5fa622ce89290b20.png

Yeah, extending it feels a lot better already.

5 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Rails are for manufacturer noobs, scifi weapons should be wholesome multitools  all built in without the need for modularity 👍

Tell us more about your game

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Kantalope said:

PDWs2UpdateV2.thumb.png.ccc7f755806b0d1c5fa622ce89290b20.png

Yeah, extending it feels a lot better already.

BRO WHERE ARE THE BR TRIANGLES BRO /s

MyF2ThH.png

2e2fb1350c329c1667e01fc6bd81c878.png

kidding but im curious, did you kitbash it photoshop or what? also yeah what do you plan to do with that flat space. What kind of sick hard surface cuts are you gonna throw in there

Edited by JB_

20 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Rails are for manufacturer noobs, scifi weapons should be wholesome multitools  all built in without the need for modularity 👍

Tell us more about your game

Yeah, sure, but the MIDA Multitool sucks in crucible, so... JK, I agree that rails are lame, but I'm just feeling art block about what else to do with the space. I like the grip that is holding the flashlight, but everything above it feels a bit blockier than I'd like. If I include any sights in the next variation, they need to be iron sights. I can't have the design communicate that this is a precise weapon but rather a CQC focused weapon. Extending the length kind of goes against this, but time will tell if that was a bad decision or not. The area above the barrel but below the rail may be changed to a built in laser sight to further communicate the CQC intentions of the weapon and fill the void made by extending the length, give it more of that 80's future tech look. I decided upon the 80's future tech aesthetic without talking to Icyhot about it, so there could easily be major changes from what I'm advertising atm due to this being concept art.

10 hours ago, JB_ said:

BRO WHERE ARE THE BR TRIANGLES BRO /s

MyF2ThH.png

2e2fb1350c329c1667e01fc6bd81c878.png

kidding but im curious, did you kitbash it photoshop or what? also yeah what do you plan to do with that flat space. What kind of sick hard surface cuts are you gonna throw in there

I've been getting used to photoshop over what has been nearly a year. I've mainly used it for memes, so I definitely need more practice in actual projects. I'm not sure what to do with the flat space other than maybe what I brainstormed above, and I really can't go with the repeated cutouts without the design being a total tacti-cool ripoff of Halo lol

About the Game:

The game is a 2v2 FPS similar to Halo with a heavy focus on 1v1 and 2v2 gameplay. The main goals of the sandbox are to address the flaws with Halo's core design and iterate upon what makes the sandbox successful in the first place. The player can hold three weapons exactly like in Destiny for the express purpose of players having a sidearm on hand at all times. Swapping to this sidearm is just like swapping to the heavy slot in Destiny. This is important in creating a sandbox safety net that allows players to pick up more specialized weapons on the map, allowing for more creativity in the rest of the sandbox as well as more creative and varied level design due to said expanded possibilities of the sandbox. This doesn't mean that on map pickups have to be single note; one pickup is a 40mm cannon that has a projectile that functions as a single-shot sniper with lower velocity and as a concussive blast that applies a large force and low damage within a somewhat large radius. This gives the weapon a fairly consistent one-shot kill in close range, but it can also propel enemies off of high ledges and propel the player to great heights. It's like a classic rocket with far more focus on the movement capabilities.

Additionally, what is traditionally the visor or scope is now alt-fire; this allows any alternate function to be mapped to a separate key, click, or trigger rather than only being dependent upon either the time the trigger is held or whether or not the player is scoped in. This is primarily used so that a weapon can have two separate actions of which is best showcased in the shotgun of the game. Right now the design revolves around having one action being loaded with incendiary ammo and the other with slugs of some kind, but I'm still trying to give it a more unique function than just CQC instant kills. A selectively destructible environment would be an interesting purpose for the gun with recognizable burnable/collapsible structure, and maybe enhancing the effects of certain other weapons.

Speaking of that, another pick up dubbed the 'Rad Pistol' fires primarily irradiated bolts and alternatively blobs of the same irradiated substance. The blobs burst into a damaging pool upon hitting ground and last about 10 seconds currently, but using any sort of fire damage on it detonates the substance, turning it into a larger pool of fire, essentially extending the duration of the effect. It should be noted that this effect could be extended to pools of gasoline or other flammable substances so that this synergy between effects isn't limited to a pair of pickups. In a more abstract way, this weapon can effect any thermal optics that may be included in-game.

I've come up with two ideas for movement options that don't impede the use of any pickups, but they do inherently change the flow of combat. One of them is a slide that can occur at at least an arbitrary yet high percentage of max movement speed that can act as a melee and lowers the player's height to less than a crouch. I like this function because it can allow for one-way pathing that doesn't need a drop off or lift-like entity. It doesn't have any increase in movement speed, so there's no additional slide-hopping increased movement speed to contrast with normal movement in level design. The other option is a wall hop which essentially acts as a partial reset of a jump's verticle velocity and reflection of movement trajectory upon a wall when moving faster than another arbitrary percentage of the defined max velocity and moving vertically below an arbitrarily defined velocity. I'm not too sure about the uses of this function, so uses need to be determined and then evaluated so that I don't make the same mistake as sprint and other abilities that provide little to no benefit to the game beyond how it feels to do the ability itself.

All I can really say about the story and setting is that the player is part of a militaristic yet fairly libertarian regime based in Scandinavia, and the player is part of a campaign to take over a region called the 'Rust Sea' somewhere in North America. The time that this takes place in is the late 2300's during a more than 200 year nuclear winter. Due to many parts of the world preparing on at least a small scale, much of the world lives in underground towns and cities with some visibility of the outside world. It's far more of an optimistic look at the 'wasteland' than what is depicted in most apocalyptic fiction because of the focus on Absurdism rather than Nihilism: inherently depressing yet individualistically hopeful.

Icy and I had brainstormed ideas for a lore behind the arena multiplayer itself. One that we both came to like was something similar to a mashup of Mad Max Thunderdome and a Roman Coliseum. The lasting elite class of the world would host bloodsport events with sponsored champions and venues built around an arena that was either found or purposely designed for the bloodsport. There'd be a whole thing about cloning (the lore excuse for respawning) and many world powers trying to reduce the biomass toll of said cloning. I don't want to reveal too much, so I'll leave it at that.

I'll eventually post a more finalized version as a Project thread later this year so that I don't over saturate this thread again with a mega-post lol

5 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Yeah, sure, but the MIDA Multitool sucks in crucible, so... JK, I agree that rails are lame, but I'm just feeling art block about what else to do with the space. I like the grip that is holding the flashlight, but everything above it feels a bit blockier than I'd like. If I include any sights in the next variation, they need to be iron sights. I can't have the design communicate that this is a precise weapon but rather a CQC focused weapon. Extending the length kind of goes against this, but time will tell if that was a bad decision or not. The area above the barrel but below the rail may be changed to a built in laser sight to further communicate the CQC intentions of the weapon and fill the void made by extending the length, give it more of that 80's future tech look. I decided upon the 80's future tech aesthetic without talking to Icyhot about it, so there could easily be major changes from what I'm advertising atm due to this being concept art.

I've been getting used to photoshop over what has been nearly a year. I've mainly used it for memes, so I definitely need more practice in actual projects. I'm not sure what to do with the flat space other than maybe what I brainstormed above, and I really can't go with the repeated cutouts without the design being a total tacti-cool ripoff of Halo lol

About the Game:

The game is a 2v2 FPS similar to Halo with a heavy focus on 1v1 and 2v2 gameplay. The main goals of the sandbox are to address the flaws with Halo's core design and iterate upon what makes the sandbox successful in the first place. The player can hold three weapons exactly like in Destiny for the express purpose of players having a sidearm on hand at all times. Swapping to this sidearm is just like swapping to the heavy slot in Destiny. This is important in creating a sandbox safety net that allows players to pick up more specialized weapons on the map, allowing for more creativity in the rest of the sandbox as well as more creative and varied level design due to said expanded possibilities of the sandbox. This doesn't mean that on map pickups have to be single note; one pickup is a 40mm cannon that has a projectile that functions as a single-shot sniper with lower velocity and as a concussive blast that applies a large force and low damage within a somewhat large radius. This gives the weapon a fairly consistent one-shot kill in close range, but it can also propel enemies off of high ledges and propel the player to great heights. It's like a classic rocket with far more focus on the movement capabilities.

Additionally, what is traditionally the visor or scope is now alt-fire; this allows any alternate function to be mapped to a separate key, click, or trigger rather than only being dependent upon either the time the trigger is held or whether or not the player is scoped in. This is primarily used so that a weapon can have two separate actions of which is best showcased in the shotgun of the game. Right now the design revolves around having one action being loaded with incendiary ammo and the other with slugs of some kind, but I'm still trying to give it a more unique function than just CQC instant kills. A selectively destructible environment would be an interesting purpose for the gun with recognizable burnable/collapsible structure, and maybe enhancing the effects of certain other weapons.

Speaking of that, another pick up dubbed the 'Rad Pistol' fires primarily irradiated bolts and alternatively blobs of the same irradiated substance. The blobs burst into a damaging pool upon hitting ground and last about 10 seconds currently, but using any sort of fire damage on it detonates the substance, turning it into a larger pool of fire, essentially extending the duration of the effect. It should be noted that this effect could be extended to pools of gasoline or other flammable substances so that this synergy between effects isn't limited to a pair of pickups. In a more abstract way, this weapon can effect any thermal optics that may be included in-game.

I've come up with two ideas for movement options that don't impede the use of any pickups, but they do inherently change the flow of combat. One of them is a slide that can occur at at least an arbitrary yet high percentage of max movement speed that can act as a melee and lowers the player's height to less than a crouch. I like this function because it can allow for one-way pathing that doesn't need a drop off or lift-like entity. It doesn't have any increase in movement speed, so there's no additional slide-hopping increased movement speed to contrast with normal movement in level design. The other option is a wall hop which essentially acts as a partial reset of a jump's verticle velocity and reflection of movement trajectory upon a wall when moving faster than another arbitrary percentage of the defined max velocity and moving vertically below an arbitrarily defined velocity. I'm not too sure about the uses of this function, so uses need to be determined and then evaluated so that I don't make the same mistake as sprint and other abilities that provide little to no benefit to the game beyond how it feels to do the ability itself.

All I can really say about the story and setting is that the player is part of a militaristic yet fairly libertarian regime based in Scandinavia, and the player is part of a campaign to take over a region called the 'Rust Sea' somewhere in North America. The time that this takes place in is the late 2300's during a more than 200 year nuclear winter. Due to many parts of the world preparing on at least a small scale, much of the world lives in underground towns and cities with some visibility of the outside world. It's far more of an optimistic look at the 'wasteland' than what is depicted in most apocalyptic fiction because of the focus on Absurdism rather than Nihilism: inherently depressing yet individualistically hopeful.

Icy and I had brainstormed ideas for a lore behind the arena multiplayer itself. One that we both came to like was something similar to a mashup of Mad Max Thunderdome and a Roman Coliseum. The lasting elite class of the world would host bloodsport events with sponsored champions and venues built around an arena that was either found or purposely designed for the bloodsport. There'd be a whole thing about cloning (the lore excuse for respawning) and many world powers trying to reduce the biomass toll of said cloning. I don't want to reveal too much, so I'll leave it at that.

I'll eventually post a more finalized version as a Project thread later this year so that I don't over saturate this thread again with a mega-post lol

Sounds cool, you should focus on the multiplayer functionality before fleshing out the single player stuff so we can get our hands on it sooner 😄

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

2 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

Sounds cool, you should focus on the multiplayer functionality before fleshing out the single player stuff so we can get our hands on it sooner 😄

Definitely. Multiplayer has been the main focus of the game for at least a year now, so releasing that is paramount to our success. A singleplayer campaign would be dope, but that would more than double the work needed in order to release.

I really should make something in H3.  I always wanted to when they originally added forge, but the toolset was just too difficult and time consuming. As odd as this may sound to most, I'm not sure I'd know how to design good levels for it though.  Despite the general consensus that it was better than the following games, I played all of the later games more than H3.  I think I only played a few hundred games of H3.  🤔

3 hours ago, a Chunk said:

I really should make something in H3.  I always wanted to when they originally added forge, but the toolset was just too difficult and time consuming. As odd as this may sound to most, I'm not sure I'd know how to design good levels for it though.  Despite the general consensus that it was better than the following games, I played all of the later games more than H3.  I think I only played a few hundred games of H3.  🤔

Halo 3 is all about that teamshot.

Random bits about the game and concept art:

The 40mm Cannon that I mentioned in the long post creates such a large impulse that it can be used to fling other objects to get the kill. If they're light enough and large enough, it could be a super easy kill. Additionally, the concussion grenade and the 40mm cannon can shoot you to the literal skybox if there's a proper backboard for the second explosive. If anyone didn't realize it, the concussion grenade is more of a movement tool than a weapon. It would be fun to finish off someone with a direct hit and see their ragdoll fly away. I'd like to have a playable version without any custom models/sounds/animations by the end of the month, but we'll see about that as it comes along. Currently fleshing out damage.

I haven't made much progress on the automatic gun because it's kinda just getting more modern military rather than 80's futuristic. I kinda like the simplicity of it atm, but it's just not the right look for the game. I've just gotta take my time with it.

13 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY THIS:

JOHN 1:17

FOR THE LORD SAID UNTO HIS  CHILD: THOU SHALT  BREAK THE SEAL, WEATHER THE STORM, CLEANSE THE EARTH, AND GUARD YOUR FLOCK ON THE WAY TO THEIR DESTINY- FOR IT IS WRITTEN .

what

Halo 3 is DOG unless on lan and mlg

settings 

Quick sand walker

random spread hopper

slow decision wave stopper

salty only likes it cause there’s a chopper

stop using tech as a line of sight blocker

Not every map has to be bf4 locker 

you design your maps for PhD flopper 

Narrative ascension doesn’t make you a PhD design doctor 

You treat your maps like wAmen 1 play test you drop her 

meuuuuuhhh I’m at work bored 

3 minutes ago, Box_Hoes said:

Halo 3 is DOG unless on lan and mlg

settings 

Quick sand walker

random spread hopper

slow decision wave stopper

salty only likes it cause there’s a chopper

stop using tech as a line of sight blocker

Not every map has to be bf4 locker 

you design your maps for PhD flopper 

Narrative ascension doesn’t make you a PhD design doctor 

You treat your maps like wAmen 1 play test you drop her 

meuuuuuhhh I’m at work bored 

OUT OF HYBERNATION INTO THE CARWASH

Posted (edited)

Been working on this for the past 2 months or so in Unreal, finally starting to look almost done!

Idea behind it was to make a warlock style 4 way symmetrical map, but not have it be as crazy and nade spammy as warlock games can get

ZxY13yj.png

cXXVln2.jpg

Huj8RiZ.png

ZDYP3aQ.png

Bonus Layout sketch in the spoiler

Spoiler

1Bhxh4j.jpg

Edited by Foge