Recommended Posts

cant wait to play horizon zero dawn on PC in a few days. a game that released on current gen hardware and still probably looks way better than infinite will. 

 

ss_15f5759c441e4e5f51e1a8ee333e4ab9df9aa

 

 

lol to everyone who actually thought 343 could pull it off despite all the evidence. they were literally a studio solely responsible for the  Halo comics and books/ extended universe lore.... Then MS made them the developer of Halo. I was so confused... but it all makes sense now. theyre still a comic book studio trying to be game developers. Hence all the outsourcing. They can't do shit inhouse.

Edited by JB_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I think there's a lot of interesting tidbits built into this game. Worth discussion.

 

Tell you what, I'll start it off - the fixed first-person perspective is interesting in that most space piloting in games is done in third-person, which severely reduces the level of immersion. This game also has a neat resource management system built in, where you control your ship's power distribution, though I imagine this will lead to some odd moments in combat, given that I'm unaware of any visual tells for your opponents' uses of these systems.

Edited by icyhotspartin
discussion topic added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, icyhotspartin said:

 

I think there's a lot of interesting tidbits built into this game. Worth discussion.

 

Tell you what, I'll start it off - the fixed first-person perspective is interesting in that most space piloting in games is done in third-person, which severely reduces the level of immersion. This game also has a neat resource management system built in, where you control your ship's power distribution, though I imagine this will lead to some odd moments in combat, given that I'm unaware of any visual tells for your opponents' uses of these systems.

@SaltyKoalaBear

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Can everyone post their portfolio websites so that I can get an idea of what to do with mine? For some reason I've been having trouble with finding most of y'all's. The only one I have found is Jake's.

 Mine is old, but here https://westinkoessel.wixsite.com/portfolio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure mine is linked to my profile page and in my signature, but here:

 

https://cornelius-robbins.format.com

 

I haven’t updated it in months due to the Covid situation wrecking my application plans. Among other things...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Westin said:

This is what Halo needs to be

 

 

My man, you couldn't handle the map design that fits that narrative mood. I don't think you really want that haha 

 

I honestly love the military roots of Halo. I love designing environments that contain geometry which is extremely challenging and tough to operate in.

Neat little arena maps with "integrity" are awesome, don't get me wrong, but come infinite I'm really going to explore the mil-tac side of Halo like never before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SaltyKoalaBear said:

I honestly love the military roots of Halo. I love designing environments that contain geometry which is extremely challenging and tough to operate in.

Neat little arena maps with "integrity" are awesome, don't get me wrong, but come infinite I'm really going to explore the mil-tac side of Halo like never before.

I too find this side of the universe appealing, and under-utilized in the games. Halo Wars is interesting and all, but ODST is the closest the franchise has come to putting you in the boots. I think there's a lot of opportunity for 343 to explore the CoD/Battlefield 2242 side of things with the Marines and ODSTs, not Spartans. 

 

But even your mil-tac sims need to have integrity. Day of Dog-feat absolutely has design integrity as it relates to geometry, art, gameplay. Without it, I wouldn't remember it. Why thumb your nose at integrity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

man these fusion coils looks like someone threw them together in blender in 5 mins

 

ae1f881aa782cbe0fbc908e5f11f88a0.png

 

 

Classic art style doesn't mean less detail and polygons 343... holy fuck

 

 

maybe they're just banished fusion coils, maybe forerunner fusion coils will actually look good again

Edited by JB_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, JB_ said:

man these fusion coils looks like someone threw them together in blender in 5 mins

 

ae1f881aa782cbe0fbc908e5f11f88a0.png

 

 

Classic art style doesn't mean less detail and polygons 343... holy fuck

 

 

maybe they're just banished fusion coils, maybe forerunner fusion coils will actually look good again

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, icyhotspartin said:

I too find this side of the universe appealing, and under-utilized in the games. Halo Wars is interesting and all, but ODST is the closest the franchise has come to putting you in the boots. I think there's a lot of opportunity for 343 to explore the CoD/Battlefield 2242 side of things with the Marines and ODSTs, not Spartans. 

 

But even your mil-tac sims need to have integrity. Day of Dog-feat absolutely has design integrity as it relates to geometry, art, gameplay. Without it, I wouldn't remember it. Why thumb your nose at integrity?

Absolutely, I'm more thumbing my nose at how narrow the perception of "integrity" is when it relates to map design for "hAlO". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

@Kantalope It's been a while since I updated anything other than the Yoink page, but here's mine. I thought it was appended to my signature... definitely on my profile page.

 

Yeah, dude, it's right here:

 I

 I

 I

V

 

FYI, signatures aren't visible on Mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

Be honest: do any of you remember any of my levels aside from Dodecahedron? And no cheating by looking at what I've posted in the past.

Wait who are you again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, purely fat said:

Why does it matter?

Cause humans are mortal and like to feel recognized, loved, worshipped, remembered.

 

You learn this kind of stuff when you become a novadiver 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kantalope said:

Be honest: do any of you remember any of my levels aside from Dodecahedron?

Yes, but I don’t recall their names. I also remember a lot of the WIP’s you’ve posted that were never released. 
I’ve always appreciated your ability to think outside the box and not follow the prevailing trends of the community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.