Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics and post replies to existing threads.

44 minutes ago, no god anywhere said:

Its a fair trade for what it offers. Unfortunately those that use 1 sensitivity are screwed. Luckily I'm playing on 7 so it doesn't really hurt me. 

Its not really a new concept considering looking down to hide your heads hitbox has been a thing. 

A strongsiding player is trying to escape so requiring he look at the floor for a smaller hitbox is a reasonable trade off.  A boost jumping player is trying to push; requiring he look at the floor is counterintuitive.  It’s like the sprint of jump mechanics.  Instead of putting your weapon down to go faster, you put your head down to go higher.  Not ideal for Halo.  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

A strongsiding player is trying to escape so requiring he look at the floor for a smaller hitbox is a reasonable trade off.  A boost jumping player is trying to push; requiring he look at the floor is counterintuitive.  It’s like the sprint of jump mechanics.  Instead of putting your weapon down to go faster, you put your head down to go higher.  Not ideal for Halo.  

Its a logical mechanic for the repulsor in the context it was created in. Maybe its not ideal but its a better balanced and more unique solution than creating separate equipment. I don't really understand your issue with it but you're welcome to try to convince me. My minds open on the matter. 

I think it should also kick you back if you send it into a wall or whatever. 

2 hours ago, Boyo said:

True

Infinite has been designed with M&K option as a guarantee. But if someone is M&K-ing they can just flick POV down and back up like it's nothing, maybe even keeping their target in view thanks to a view slider that goes to 120 or higher. Because of that I'm hoping online will be input locked.. but they probably won't do that, because we already see they removed aim assist and added bloom for M&K ---- except that's not going to help because the AR is a laser anyway. Even with aim assist on controller players can't land headshots using the precision weapons. I've seen so many 'duels' where the POV player sprays AR to crack shields and swaps to sidekick to send 6+ shots downrange just trying for the clincher. More common now, I see they don't even swap unless they're all out of AR ammo

2 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

should also kick you back if you send it into a wall

While this would also be “logical in the context it was created in”, it still presents the same problem.  The player is left facing in the opposite direction as he is traveling in, flying blind so to speak.  

I can look past a good chunk of decisions, but I can't look past bloom, it's such a bad mechanic and for some reason its so heavily defended by the community. It feels like it violates the whole integrity of a game.

Weapons in Halo are all projectiles wjth many rifles just being set to 1 tick, I have no idea why they're so scared of slowing the rifles down and trying projectile balancing again.

Edited by TheLunarRaptor

1 minute ago, TheLunarRaptor said:

bloom…feels like it violates the whole integrity of a game.

Making the player’s primary method of interaction unreliable and effectively random does violate the integrity of the entire game.  

Halo is a console shooter first and foremost, so forcing large, immediate aim movements in order to access a good chunk of the sandbox item's use is counter intuitive. Even with the pro's being considered, there are plenty of them from the heydays of MLG that were all the way down on 1 sensitivity. I guess 343i wants us to plug in MnK to our consoles? I'm mostly a PC player, but I still prefer controller for most the games I play, even FPS games. MnK to me feels like I'm trying to sweat, not just have fun.

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

While this would also be “logical in the context it was created in”, it still presents the same problem.  The player is left facing in the opposite direction as he is traveling in, flying blind so to speak.  

This blops 4 montage i made has a maneuver i use constantly in the clips that higher skilled players use to break ankles during gunfights. It requires breaking your own aim lock, totally losing track of your target and dropping your weapon momentarily in order to activate slide for the chance that you could break up your predictability and gain an advantage. Mind you black ops 4 has probably the best strafe in the series already. Its pretty counter-intuitive that id have to look away to shoot and kill somebody dont you think? What if a game existed that just had a button that caused you to "boost" to the side per say, do you think it would be preferable?

Edited by no god anywhere

Its pretty counter-intuitive that id have to look away to shoot and kill somebody dont you think?

Yeah.  

What if a game existed that just had a button that caused you to "boost" to the side per say, do you think it would be preferable?

Preferable to what, sprint and slide?  Yes but it’s still not something all players should spawn with in Halo (minimal base abilities, a diverse sandbox, responsive controls, tight maps).  

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

Yeah.  

Preferable to what, sprint and slide?  Yes but it’s still not something all players should spawn with in Halo (minimal base abilities, a diverse sandbox, responsive controls, tight maps).  

Ew bruh

7 minutes ago, no god anywhere said:

Ew bruh

Why do you prefer sprint?  Because it creates an alternate player state that also modifies the function of other buttons eg slide?  

13 minutes ago, Boyo said:

Why do you prefer sprint?  Because it creates an alternate player state that also modifies the function of other buttons eg slide?  

If I prefer sprint or not was never the arguement. The arguement is simply that something that will require more intellectual thought or mechanical skill is preferable to something that requires none.

14 minutes ago, no god anywhere said:

If I prefer sprint or not was never the arguement. The arguement is simply that something that will require more intellectual thought or mechanical skill is preferable to something that requires none.

There is mechanical skill in operating the thumbsticks effectively.  There is mechanical skill in inputting button combos with strict timing windows eg RRX.  What other mechanical skills are we talking about…pressing buttons?  

Yes, a movement ability that requires more intellectual thought is preferable.  Why do you believe sprint and slide require more intellectual thought than a brief generic boost?  

Correlation_Vs_Causation_-_2019-en.png.ed02d92ecaadc2a91f1c9af4c18bc61e.png

@Westin

Give us some evidence that split gates player retention issue is a direct causation of the the games portal imbalances and not just a correlation. 

I'm not arguing it isn't, but it's realtively easy to assume that's the case when it supports your hypothesis. 

Id say it's likely part of the causation, but many other issues with the game, as well as external  factors led to the flash in the pan player count. 

The general gaming populations average intelligence has an effect on what games they are and aren't attracted too. You could have the most morally integral game that takes an exceedingly high amount of player intelligence to play, and still the game could see a similar player retention issue as spiltgate due to the average player not having the intelligence required to play.  

Long story short,  general player retention isn't a good metric to use when judging the integrity of a games mechanics. If anything, the general gaming  population will be drawn towards things with less integrity versus more. Such is the sad state of gaming society. 

3 hours ago, Boyo said:

There is mechanical skill in operating the thumbsticks effectively.  There is mechanical skill in inputting button combos with strict timing windows eg RRX.  What other mechanical skills are we talking about…pressing buttons?  

Yes, a movement ability that requires more intellectual thought is preferable.  Why do you believe sprint and slide require more intellectual thought than a brief generic boost?  

I don't neccessarily. Its more in the realm of mechanical skill. In cod context because it requires control of a higher sensitivity and fast target reacquisition. In halo the sprint slide combo is basically useless as an evasive maneuver mid gunfight. Ideally halo would have a more responsive and useful slide but unfortunately it doesn't. If it did then the players that had better mechanical skill would be able to utilize it in ways that lower skilled players can't. A one button thrust leaves no skill gap and everyone is hitting it mid gunfight. Theres also no telegraph that the thrust is about to occur, but there is for a sprint slide mid gunfight for those that have better awareness.

Intellectually speaking the question is if you should and when by weighing opportunity costs. Youre making split second decisions to give something up for whatever return thats desirable.

With a one button vertical boost up or thrust to the side you give up nothing  and gain everything which in turn requires no thought or mechanical skill. It causes less depth and variation in the gameplay.

personally i don't play splitgate because of 2 reasons

1. they don't do a good job as selling me a narrative that i can get immersed in, it's just... 'arena e-sports with portals' themed, which is meh... also the art style isnt very consistent in its quality or cohesion. all of this could be summarized as failing in the ethos department

2. Not enough toys to play with, portals are really cool and add alot of depth, but the guns are all just guns, which is not bad, they have slightly different uses, but still nothing we haven't seen before, the game leans too much on its one and only unique feature and the devs expect that to carry the entire experience, which for me coupled with my first point is not enough

the actual reason why the game won't stay popular though has everything to do with the fact that they are advertising it as a competitive game, the same reason why literally ALL old school arena shooters have fallen off:

Toxic > reflex > the UT  sequal that never came out > Quake champions > Diabotical...

all of these games, including splitgate, are all awesome games that take lots of skill and are very satisfying to master, but they advertise them all wrong. Overwatch is an amazing example of how to advertise a game to both casual and competitive players together, and it worked phenomenally 

And this is why i have high hopes for Halo Infinite, the academy and bots ARE FREAKING AMAZING FEATURES, i want casual players to have reason to segway into the multiplayer, that helps keep the population fresh and constantly re filling

and Halo has always been a very attractive game casually, but even more so now with how awesome BTB looks with all that crazy shenanigans thing that can happen and go viral on twitter

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

4 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

Youre making split second decisions to give something up for whatever return thats desirable.

You feel this way because you’re looking at movement enhancers as base abilities.  When everyone can do something indefinitely off spawn, it needs to have trade offs.  When movement enhancers are pick-ups, they don’t need trade offs because they were earned.  

@MultiLockOn felt similarly about power-ups. Do you feel like they should have trade offs and not just make the user better with no downside?  

Thats a ridiculous response.

Boyo do you group people by skin color when deciding to interact with them or do you measure each individual by the content of their character?

This conversation is going nowhere.

1 minute ago, no god anywhere said:

Boyo do you group people by skin color when deciding to interact with them or do you measure each individual by the content of their character?

This conversation is going nowhere.

I look.  Then I look away.  Then I look again.  So.  Much.  Skill.  

5 hours ago, no god anywhere said:

With a one button vertical boost up or thrust to the side you give up nothing  and gain everything which in turn requires no thought or mechanical skill. It causes less depth and variation in the gameplay.

Spin around three times before engaging to increase depth and variation in gameplay.  Dizziness is the trade off.  

Edited by Boyo