Welcome to The Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics and post replies to existing threads.

50% off right now https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/umodeler-model-your-world-80868

@JB_ can you let me know what you think of this modeler, it looks so complete, i got it and i think its way better probuilder already, and i loved probuilder!

Edited by Soldat Du Christ

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

2 hours ago, Soldat Du Christ said:

50% off right now https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/umodeler-model-your-world-80868

@JB_ can you let me know what you think of this modeler, it looks so complete, i got it and i think its way better probuilder already, and i loved probuilder!

surprisingly good but nothing is a substitute for the real thing...

but this is pretty close

1 hour ago, purely fat said:

@Boyo could you go into a little more detail about your shotgun from you initial post? I'm curious about how the spread works.

A central slug is surrounded by a ring of 6 pellets and that is surrounded by a ring of 12 pellets.  The slug is essentially a 4sk Magnum shot; accurate out to long range.  

The outer ring of 12 pellets peels off after traveling a short distance.  The spread on the inner ring of 6 pellets begins rapidly expanding shortly after.  

The slug does 1 Magnum shot worth of damage.  Each pellet does 1/3 the damage of a Magnum shot.  [1 + 18/3 = 7].  Seven Magnum bodyshots kill.  

1920px-Disk_pack19.svg.png

1 hour ago, Boyo said:

A central slug is surrounded by a ring of 6 pellets and that is surrounded by a ring of 12 pellets.  The slug is essentially a 4sk Magnum shot; accurate out to long range.  

The outer ring of 12 pellets peels off after traveling a short distance.  The spread on the inner ring of 6 pellets begins rapidly expanding shortly after.  

The slug does 1 Magnum shot worth of damage.  Each pellet does 1/3 the damage of a Magnum shot.  [1 + 18/3 = 7].  Seven Magnum bodyshots kill.  

1920px-Disk_pack19.svg.png

Let's say a spartan is a single unit how many units would it take for center and outer ring to reach the point of being ineffective.

Also, @a Chunk can we have a cringe emoji worth zero like the bruh. Don't care what it is.

Edited by purely fat

The image on the left is me 1 year ago, before learning Unreal Engine. The image on the right is me today, after learning Unreal Engine. The choice is yours. 

ygBnwtM.png

Anyways, Metahuman is pretty cool, just got early access today. Part of me wishes it would allow for some more extreme features, I'd love to remake my DS charactor in HD. Maybe in a future update ?

Edited by Brad

3 hours ago, purely fat said:

Let's say a spartan is a single unit how many units would it take for center and outer ring to reach the point of being ineffective.

Also, @a Chunk can we have a cringe emoji worth zero like the bruh. Don't care what it is.

Not sure if any of them are what you're looking for, but I've added a bunch of new Reactions that have been saved on my desktop for like 9 months.

Most of them are neutral reaction (no impact to Reputation), but I'm open to making any of them positive or negative if it's wanted.

Also, if you guys want something specific as a reaction, give me an image to work with.  I'm happy to add more.  At some point I'll just remove reactions that don't get any use.

1 hour ago, a Chunk said:

Not sure if any of them are what you're looking for, but I've added a bunch of new Reactions that have been saved on my desktop for like 9 months.

Most of them are neutral reaction (no impact to Reputation), but I'm open to making any of them positive or negative if it's wanted.

Also, if you guys want something specific as a reaction, give me an image to work with.  I'm happy to add more.  At some point I'll just remove reactions that don't get any use.

You shouldnt have gave icy the hmm emote damn it 

Edited by Box_Hoes

4 hours ago, purely fat said:

The center slug fires straight and has unlimited range, giving the shotgun utility even if it does take seven bodyshots to kill an enemy more than a stone’s throw away.  

Pulling the encounter in to close-medium range, the center slug surrounded by six inner ring pellets kills in three volleys.  Only at very close range do the twelve outer ring pellets fly straight for the potential OHK.  

In contrast, the Mauler fires seven relatively slow moving, molten projectiles that fizzle out after traveling a short distance but do not rapidly spread apart like shotgun pellets.  

The Mauler can kill in two volleys if all projectiles land.  At long range, the shotgun beats it.  At close range, the shotgun still beats it but at close-medium range, the Mauler kills in two shots while the Shotgun takes three.  

That being said, what exactly “very close range” and “close-medium range” are defined as is dependent on many other factors like movement speed and general map design so it would be insincere for me to quote you some exact number of units.  I’m open to your thoughts on the matter though.   

What do you think is an appropriate effective range for the shotgun’s Outer Ring, Inner Ring, and Center Slug?  

7 hours ago, a Chunk said:

yes! the clown emoji! thanks chunk, please make it neg rep, -5 once per day if you can

1260918535_Forgemapsthumbnail.thumb.png.a0054255c7c5aba3a52c3cef60b4b815.png

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

The center slug fires straight and has unlimited range, giving the shotgun utility even if it does take seven bodyshots to kill an enemy more than a stone’s throw away.  

Pulling the encounter in to close-medium range, the center slug surrounded by six inner ring pellets kills in three volleys.  Only at very close range do the twelve outer ring pellets fly straight for the potential OHK.  

In contrast, the Mauler fires seven relatively slow moving, molten projectiles that fizzle out after traveling a short distance but do not rapidly spread apart like shotgun pellets.  

The Mauler can kill in two volleys if all projectiles land.  At long range, the shotgun beats it.  At close range, the shotgun still beats it but at close-medium range, the Mauler kills in two shots while the Shotgun takes three.  

That being said, what exactly “very close range” and “close-medium range” are defined as is dependent on many other factors like movement speed and general map design so it would be insincere for me to quote you some exact number of units.  I’m open to your thoughts on the matter though.   

What do you think is an appropriate effective range for the shotgun’s Outer Ring, Inner Ring, and Center Slug?  

Well, to me it is dependent on the things you said and I appreciate the fact you are thinking about other elements of context which I was going to slowly widdle away at. So I guess my thing would be you are going to use an exponential algorithm to give it a hard cutoff? My reasoning for asking largely has to do with people doing circle twitches and other aiming methods  to abuse the spread.

Halo is a pick-up based game.  The items a player holds determine his abilities.  

Restructuring the traditional control scheme into a more efficient button layout allows the player to hold more items while putting existing ones to better use.  If pick-ups are the name of the game then management and use of those pick-ups must be quick and easy.  

RT - Fire

LT - Scope, Alt-fire 

RB - Throw grenade 

LB - Jump, Aerial Ability 

A - Armor Ability 

B - Equipment 

X - Reload, Toggle firemodes, Weapon ability 

Y - Switch weapons, Equip Sidearm (hold) 

L3 - Crouch 

R3 - Melee 

Up - Cycle grenade types 

Down - Cycle abilities 

Left - Cycle equipment 

Right - Cycle sidearms 

As you can probably see, the directionals on the D pad all have something in common.  Each one cycles through the available items in a specific class.  In many cases, the player will have zero or only one item per class so its corresponding directional will be effectively useless; don’t need to cycle through the available grenade types when all you have are Frags.  

You may be wondering what a Sidearm is.  It’s not a crappy pistol you pull out during last stand.  Sidearms are a small sub-class of weapons that can be carried without counting toward the two weapon limit.  The Magnum is one of them.  

In campaign, this gives the player an undroppable utility weapon in addition to whatever two crazy ass alien weapons he decides to pick up along the way.  Big plays are more likely to be attempted when the player has the security of his utility weapon to fall back on.  

Aerial Abilities are a new class of items, activated by pressing the Jump button while airborne.  While there’s no hard route from the north window of level 3 to the south window of level 2, Glider allows the player to wrap around the outside of the structure as if there were.  

One problem I see is that there are no good movement enhancers for Arena play.  Even a pick-up like Thruster is too large-scale for tight arena maps.  Enter:  Aerial Ability #2.  

With the Gravity Gauntlet equipped, pressing LB while airborne causes the user to lunge forward a short distance and, if a ledge is reached, quick-clamber up it.  This omni directional ability only moves the user a short distance but in conjunction with a map designed to support it in specific, limited ways, the Gravity Gauntlet can become a well balanced arena pick-up, opening up new avenues of movement and attack for the user.  

Arena can survive on just a crispy strafe while the player is on the ground but once airborne, he becomes a sitting duck, prime for getting shot out of the sky.  Aerial ability pick-ups allow a stagnant component of gameplay, the lack of air control, to evolve in a small, metered fashion.  

Edited by Boyo

11 hours ago, Boyo said:

Halo is a pick-up based game.  The items a player holds determine his abilities.  

How do you see this working when players expect the ability to map their own buttons?

What is the advantage of having abilities tied to weapons instead of being standalone pickups?

Since abilities are part of your pickup system, does that mean they're not base traits?  Or would you have those also?

How do you see this working when players expect the ability to map their own buttons?

Not all buttons are created equally.  The Triggers have a greater effect on gameplay than the D pad.  I don’t mean in my design specifically.  Just by the very nature of fingers on triggers.  In any 3D shooter, this would be true.  

If functions could be remapped to any other button with no degradation in quality for the player then that control scheme was not tailored to the controller very well.  I believe that in order to achieve the best quality gameplay, functions need to be tailored to the buttons they are mapped to.  

It’s not like I’m going to actively prevent players from remapping buttons into a less ideal layout but at the same time, I’m also not going to design functions around if they’ll remap well.  

What is the advantage of having abilities tied to weapons instead of being standalone pickups?

By grouping things together, like the Spiker’s automatic primary fire combined with its grappling hook alt-fire, you can shape player actions to a greater degree.  A map designer can allow a player to grapple into an elevated window while at the same time preventing him from doing so with a power weapon in his hands, since grapple belongs to Spiker.  If you want the movement enhancer, you have to take the attack that goes along with it.  

Of course, that’s not to say that there aren’t stand alone movement enhancing pick-ups too, because there are (armor/aerial abilities and certain equipment).  

Since abilities are part of your pickup system, does that mean they're not base traits?  Or would you have those also?

In traditional gametypes like Arena and Squad Battle, players spawn with only basic abilities.  Run, jump, crouch, aim, fire, scope, reload, switch weapons, equip sidearm, melee, throw grenade.  To unlock more abilities than those, the player must secure pick-ups.  

Increasing the Value of Pick-ups through Secondary Functions 

RT and LT are Fire and Scope.  On scopeless weapons, LT activates Alt-fire instead, giving one weapon two functions, increasing its value as a pick-up.  

The A button activates the player’s Armor Ability and LB while airborne activates the player’s Aerial Ability.  In Squad Battle gametypes, these two abilities are packaged as a single pick-up.  For example, one pick-up gives the player both Thruster and Jump Jet (or both Evade and Wall Kick).  

Rather than littering the map with a plethora of minor enhancements that would only get picked up when a player happened to be going past, combining multiple minor enhancements into one pick-up makes them worth going for.  

Speaking of Evade, this armor ability is unique in that depending on what the player is doing, activating it has different effects.  While standing, the standard evade is performed ie the super-slide disguised as a combat roll.  

While crouched, activating Evade performs a dip instead of a combat roll, moving the user a shorter distance without disabling his ability to attack.  A dip is a quick, low hop where the player model dips his head down and back up, like a really good crouch-strafe.  

While airborne, activating Evade performs an aerial flip, moving the user up and over.  In conjunction with the Elite aerial ability, Wall Kick, airborne evade allows the user to fling himself into a wall, bounce off it and keep on moving.  

When coupled with a map designed to support these movement abilities, players can chain actions together to perform unique maneuvers eg travel up a narrow mine shaft by wall kicking back and forth.  

Edited by Boyo

There’s probably a better way to deal with the Halo Jump arc of death than sticking with the crouch spam but I don’t think it’s aerial acrobatics tied to alt-firing weapons, at least not in a classic Halo multiplayer setting

the beauty of Halo is that there aren’t any (Halo 5 excluded) context dependent abilities - every function is mapped and accessible just about 100% of the time, and everyone has the same potential for action

If your intent is a spin-off variant of Halo that’s more accurate to squad and species roles, like a OverwatchxHaloxArmaxPlanetsidexBattlefield2242 hybrid, then, ok, I guess, but you’d have to get one of the Halo youtubers on board with that so they can sweet talk their contact at the 343 community engagement office

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

the beauty of Halo is that there aren’t any (Halo 5 excluded) context dependent abilities - every function is mapped and accessible just about 100% of the time, and everyone has the same potential for action

Do you get upset when an enemy enters a vehicle because he can now move in ways that you can’t?  

1 hour ago, icyhotspartin said:

Then why can't you throw grenades or kick people of slap down a piece of equipment all while shooting? Is Halo really freedom?

3 minutes ago, Kantalope said:

Then why can't you throw grenades or kick people of slap down a piece of equipment all while shooting? Is Halo really freedom?

In what situations is it acceptable for the game to disable the player’s primary means of attack?  

1 minute ago, Boyo said:

In what situations is it acceptable for the game to disable the player’s primary means of attack?  

Never! I should be a ghost with a gun while waiting to respawn! Imagine the potential!